It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria Agrees to Cease-Fire on April 10, Annan Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Syria’s government has promised that its armed forces would stop shooting and withdraw from population centers by April 10, the special emissary attempting to end the violent year-old uprising in Syria told the United Nations Security Council on Monday.

The special emissary, Kofi Annan, also told the Security Council that his team had held constructive talks with anti-government forces in the Syria conflict as part of an attempt to gain their adherence to his cease-fire plan.

www.nytimes.com...

This comes one day after the Friends of Syria conference was held where thousands of Pro-Assad demonstrators were tear-gassed by Turkish police....

Turkish riot police officers sprayed tear gas at supporters of President Bashar al-Assad of Syria as they demonstrated outside the conference venue.

I do hope the people who are killing Syrian people will stop, and come to some peaceful agreement. This has been offered by President Assad before but the US state department told the "protesters" not to stop fighting, God willing they will stop this time and seek diplomatic means...
edit on 2-4-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It will not help, I think only the death of Assad would satisfy those who're looking for peace.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaMuslim

I think only the death of Assad would satisfy those who're looking for peace.

Yeah and expect it will only install a Pro American puppet minster? you think that would really satisfy those who're looking for peace? yeah i didn't think so.

The rebels are no better then Assad.
edit on 2-4-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The date seems a bit long...does this mean Assad thinks he can wipe them up by then?
The rebels losing ground maybe?
Why not two days from now? or 72 hours?
The timing is suspicious ......
any ideas?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
The date seems a bit long...does this mean Assad thinks he can wipe them up by then?
The rebels losing ground maybe?
Why not two days from now? or 72 hours?
The timing is suspicious ......
any ideas?

To be honest I wondered the same thing, why 8 days, but after consideration, we realize it takes time for all the terrorists to hear about a cease fire, and this gives everyone a chance to not only hear about it but to make the decision whether or not they will put down arms...(As this has been tried in the past by the Syrian government but the 'opposition' would not stop killing people)

If you say one day, or two days, but half the people do not even know there is a cease fire, then those fighting Assad will not stop due to lack of knowledge, which has been an obvious problem in other parts of the world, therefore the time allowance gives ample time for the party who opposes Syria to quit, and both groups will be able to quit on the same day.

This also gives time for the military to withdraw from cities without leaving citizens in danger, this is the Syrian peoples biggest fear and criticism, the rebels have been killing them... therefore they have been very critical of Assad for not putting these fighters down decisively enough to ensure the safety of the citizens. Therefore Assad is going to worry about withdrawing in a manner that does not leave citizens as exposed.

This is what makes the most sense to me from my knowledge of the situation, as well as similar conflicts in other countries and what scenario's led to those failures.
edit on 3-4-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaMuslim
It will not help, I think only the death of Assad would satisfy those who're looking for peace.

we shouldn't be listening to those people...they obviously aren't looking for peace.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This has happened before and the violence yet resumed. I think the only way to stop the violence is sending covert special mission troops to rescue all the innocent prisoners under the harmful custody of the regime. And Assad must be shot dead by special forces just like Osama was killed. The special forces are stealthy. They are accurate and lost only few missions. Instead of bombing assad forces or sending 500,000 troops, special forces and drones will do the thing.
edit on 3-4-2012 by 1lionexPro because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-4-2012 by 1lionexPro because: I changed my mind. Didn't decide to edit.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
WHY is he waiting seven full days for a cease-fire?
WHAT does he hope to accomplish before that date?
SOMETHING is up ... IMHO. I smell smoke .....

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I answered that with some thoughts in the post I just linked to... you can add more thoughts of your own if you like
edit on 3-4-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The Syrian strife and the Libyan one raise some peculiarities: who's arming these insurgents? Take Syria: while the number of dissidents from Assad's forces is not to be underestimated, it is practically impossible that all weaponry used by the insurgents belongs solely to Assad's military storages. It seems that there is a widespread Al-Qaeda involvement in the Arab Spring, with the Muslim Brotherhood functioning as an intermediary between Al-Qaeda and local rebels. It all makes sense: Assand wouldn't have fallen to the rebels' extortions as he had done, seeing that his army is by far stronger than the feeble resistance directed against his regime, however, he is acquainted with Al-Qaeda's involvement, and realizes that his state must deal with forces larger than the media would want you to think.

By now, his only hope is time -- he's trying to exhaust the opposition by prolonged warfare, rather than following the steps of his father and devouring the opposition altogether in no-time. A few months ago, Israel's Defense Minister Ehud Barak had claimed that, as regards the situation in Syria, Assad's regime will collapse "within a month". Well, few months have passed since this declaration had been made, and it appears that on the contrary, it is Assad's army which triumphs over the dissenters. Considering that Israeli espionage agencies are considered the most professional, a picture of a torrent of disinformation emerges, and it doesn't look pretty. Likewise, the personal emails which supposedly belong to Assad and his wife might just as well be successful fabrications; or rather, specific forgeries have been implanted into the original, genuinely documented emails.

Overall, it seems that armed wings of Al-Qaeda or a joint organization of Islamists have triggered the Arab Spring, with the international community playing along and shamming as unaware of the actual developments. What the Obama administration secretly does is not instilling puppet regimes which would be loyal to the US; rather, they create militarist independent enclaves which are destined to pose an international threat to the Western world in middle-term terms, so as to give Obama an excuse for both rapprochement with the Islamic world, and its invasion. Invasion of the Islamic world due to its collapse after Al-Qaeda and the MB destroy it, will be disguised as another "war on international terror" (expect another 9/11 within a few years, as a supreme pretext), but will really serve the creation of an international, UN-like union between the US and other states it wishes to convert to its side.

This explains why it is now that the international community ponders assisting the rebels with armament: unlike Qaddaphi, Mubarak, and the rest of the Arab dictators, Assad appears to be winning, which is in contrast to the plan set by international forces with Obama as their leader, and so they arm the dissidents in order to push Assad the noncompliant dictator away from the scene.

I believe there's a veritable international conspiracy behind the Arab Spring revolution.

edit on 4-4-2012 by RATSOYFY37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RATSOYFY37
The Syrian strife and the Libyan one raise some peculiarities: who's arming these insurgents? Take Syria: while the number of dissidents from Assad's forces is not to be underestimated, it is practically impossible that all weaponry used by the insurgents belongs solely to Assad's military storages. It seems that there is a widespread Al-Qaeda involvement in the Arab Spring, with the Muslim Brotherhood functioning as an intermediary between Al-Qaeda and local rebels. It all makes sense: Assand wouldn't have fallen to the rebels' extortions as he had done, seeing that his army is by far stronger than the feeble resistance directed against his regime, however, he is acquainted with Al-Qaeda's involvement, and realizes that his state must deal with forces larger than the media would want you to think.

It was the US, UK, and Israel who are funding and arming all these Arab Spring groups, this is from a Libyan brother on face book (short excerpt)

In Libya we see how the UK wants it's pound of flesh for helping the Libyan people and indeed the more we allow these hegemonic forces to help our causes the more indebted to them we will feel, the more entitled they will be to dictate to us how they should be compensated and before we know it, we are beholden to these powers all over again!

For the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, (who all of a sudden are peaceful according to US lol) the US has just released 1.5 Billion (yes that is Billion) dollars to them.

US lobbyists are employed by the Libyan group now www.abovetopsecret.com... although the lobbyists have been working for them for free up to now.

In Syria they are finding (and seizing) Israeli and American weapons www.youtube.com...

Yet US says it is not yet providing 'lethal' assistance... which is nothing more than a joke. They are encouraging Saudia and the Egyptian and Libyan branches to support them financially and militarily however. This is above board, and with the funneling of 1.5 Billion to the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, the plan is that much will go to the Syrian branch of the Muslim Brotherhood, who til now have been in exile (since they are terrorists)

When a general amnesty given by the Syrian government to all protesters and an offer of talks aimed at resolving the conflict inside Syrian borders the US State Department advised the opposition group not to accept this amnesty and to continue the fight aimed at removing Al-Assad from power. (Sandels)

Sandels, Patrick J. McDonnell and Alexandra. “At least 20 reported killed in Syria.” 5 November 2011. Los Angeles Times. 12 March 2012 .

I may have believed that the Arab Spring was not 'brought to you by' US/Israel but I know for fact in a spontaneous event in Bahrain, the Shi'a decided since rest of the Arab world could protest then they would also... democracy right? However, the United States decided to side with Bahraini government who treats Bahrain Shi'a majority as second class citizens, funding and assisting the Bahraini government in the killing of their protesters! www.youtube.com...

The Syrian people are very critical of Assad saying he is not doing enough to keep them safe from the 'protesters' who are killing them (yes, what you hear in the media is nothing but lies concerning the situation in Syria) however, Assad is under so much international pressure he does not want to create a situation that would allow for the US to come and start bombing the country, he is trying to keep the country stable while US and all her allies are heavily arming and funding these terrorists in an effort to destabilize Syria. stopwarmonger.wordpress.com...

edit on 5-4-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
gives the rebels to plan 1 last, damaging strike with whats left..

they are outnumbered and the ones with the weapons willing to fight are slowing being killed off.

there’s still resistance and anger.. but watching so many people die often forces one to rethink their priorities..

but 5 days is a bit long... obviously assads going to push forward hard and fast to gain as much room as possible.

top topics

join