It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life's purpose. Why the universe needs us.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The universe needs us so that the universe can know what it is. We are the observers.

Observation, for a human, is the processing of information by our brain through emotions, belief structures, and the 5 senses. The universe can observe and learn of itself in many ways to get the most detailed description of what it is. For instance, a worm doesn't have 5 senses, it probably only has one. So the universe from a worm's perspective is entirely different than the universe from a human's perspective.

The universe, and therefore we, still do not know what it is. If we knew, there would be no more purpose for us existing other than to verify that the universe actually does exist. Since we don't know, then it is not possible to answer the question, "What is the universe?" Everyone will have their own subjective answers. We also have to take into consideration that somewhere 'out there', there could be life forms with more than 5 senses that are defining the universe through senses that are highly unfamiliar. So we could not possibly have an absolute objective answer.

BUT, subjectivity is valid. All observers are individualized and bound to subjectivity. So, there is no collective absolute definition of the universe, it is up to each individual to make their own definition. And knowing this should leave you feeling empowered. Because it is you who gets to say what this is. There is no limitation to how great this place can be seen as.

If the universe didn't need to feel, it wouldn't have created emotions. If the universe didn't need to learn, it wouldn't have created brains. If the universe is pointless, it wouldn't have created us. There is a purpose to the universe and we are living it. Life is what you make it. You will always be human, but only you can determine what it means to be human.

How you define the universe determines how you will experience it. My universe is beautiful all around, and I see beauty all around and I feel the glory of existence. Some people are depressed. Their universe is not as glorious. But if they made the effort to see it as such, they would begin to lift their depression.

If I say you stink and someone else says you don't, which one of us is right? We both are right and we both are wrong. Each one of us creates our own definition of what this place is. We create emotional realities.

edit on 2-4-2012 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

The universe needs Earthworms exactly the same amount that it needs us or else they wouldn't be here either.

Everything else

I think I misunderstood initially. You aren't saying a human's perspective is more important. Sorry the Universe needs "us" title threw me.
edit on 2-4-2012 by Buddha1098 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098
reply to post by smithjustinb

The universe needs Earthworms exactly the same amount that it needs us or else they wouldn't be here either

Everything else

I think I misunderstood initially. You aren't saying a human's perspective is more important. Sorry the Universe needs "us" title threw me.
edit on 2-4-2012 by Buddha1098 because: (no reason given)

Yeah. We are all important on our own relative terms.

new topics

join