Beef processor files for bankruptcy over 'pink slime' uproar.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

...umm .. the point actually has little to do with ammonia mate. The point is that they take the most disgusting parts of a cow that we would never, ever eat, grind it up until it's nice and soft, throw some coloring on it, disinfect it, and mash it in with real beef and call it "100% grade A beef"

ANYONE who gets upset over pink slime disappearing is a complete and total fool.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Perhaps that outfit tried to go against the old saying:

If demand goes down, then lower the prices

They may have made a classic error if they tried to raise prices when demand was falling

All the excuses for failure won't work this time.

The pink slime exposure has created wild jealousy and mass hysteria inside the industry.

Their advertising agenda has failed also.

Here is the Material Safety Data Sheet for Ammonium Hydroxide

Section 3 Hazard Identification (Also see section 11)
Causes severe irritation and burns. Harmful if swallowed. Avoid breathing vapor or dust. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothes. Wash thoroughly after handling. Keep container closed.

It's all about perception, regardless of how "good" it is for you.

The Public has had it up to *HERE* with the hoodwinking !!

edit on Apr-02-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

I am sorry but I fail to see the issue with "pink slime". The name itself is propaganda. This is meat from a cow that has been disinfected using ammonium hydroxide and separated from fat. Ammonium hyroxide breaks down into nitrogen (which comprises 17 % of the atmosphere we breathe and is in everything we eat) and hydrogen (again its part of water and air).

The meat was recovered from parts of the cow that were known to be infected with E. Coli. By disinfecting the meat, they make it safe for human consumption. This is meat that would have to be thrown away if it wasn't disinfected. I don't know but it makes sense to me to use as much meat from an animal when its slaughtered as possible.

Of course the cost of meat will go up. The disinfected meat was mixed with normal ground beef and brought the price down.

This is an activist propaganda nightmare. It has nothing to do with protecting our health. It has to do with making a name for yourself and getting funding for doing so!

Tired of Control Freaks

Wow how to respond to a post with so much ignorance and fail...Sigh!
Yeah cause I want to eat the meat that is more likely to be infected with E Coli if they disinfect it.... Yeah just like I want to drink purified sewage water... Yeah I am tired of the control freaks too I am tired of idiots telling me what I should eat and how healthy it is for me and that I should not be complaining and all is well because government says so...

Here is a novel idea you eat all the E Coli infested raised in their own feces and treated with pink slime meat you like and I will eat organic wholesome foods where I know how it was raised and processed and support my local community and you stay the hell out of my life and telling me what to eat and I'll stay out of yours... Capiche?

edit on 2-4-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

reply to post by spoonbender

Spoonbender

If you are a hunter - then you must, on occasion, dress your meat. What parts of the carcass do you leave behind?

Tired of Control Freaks

the gut pile

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

Do you scrape the meat from the skin? How do you do that - what do you do with it?

Tired of Control Freaks

To all - I quite agree on the labelling issue. You should know what you are buying and eating.

To the guy who posted the MSDS on Ammonium Hydroxide - please don't treat people like idiots. The use the Ammonium Hydroxide for disinfection. As soon as it comes into contact with water, it breaks down into Nitrogen and hydrogen as previously discussed. It is inflammatory to pretend that people are coming into contact with Ammonium Hydroxide directly. I don't respect people who try to arouse fear and panic unnecessarily.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Another attention grabbing title. This site has been full of these lately.

bankruptcy protection

Can you guess the operative word?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
To All - if your objection to "pink slime" is the use of ammonium hydroxide

Please take a look at the following link:

www.foodinsight.org...

A: The list of foods in which ammonium hydroxide is used as a direct food additive is extensive and includes baked goods, cheeses, chocolates, other confectionery (e.g., caramel), and puddings. Ammonium hydroxide is also used as an antimicrobial agent in meat products.

Ammonia in other forms (e.g., ammonium sulfate, ammonium alginate) is used in condiments, relishes, soy protein concentrates/isolates, snack foods, jams and jellies, and non-alcoholic beverages.

The World Health Organization has listed hundreds of food types that may be processed using ammonium hydroxide when used in accordance with good manufacturing practices. These include dairy products, confections, fruits and vegetables, baked goods, breakfast cereals, eggs, fish, beverages such as sports drinks and beer, and meats.

You would have to go a long long way to avoid eating Ammonium hydroxide. Its even the product that puts the "tang" in cheese whiz.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I am going to try to take the emotion out of this issue

See this link for the amount of ground beef sold in the United States in the 4th quarter 2011

beefretail.org...

For just 1 category Lean Ground Beef = 156.3 million pounds at an average cost of $2.82 / lb
That is a total of approximately 4.4 million dollars. That is just one quarter but lets assume that the other 3 quarters are not much different. This is a yearly total of 17.6 million dollars

Lets assume that 20 % of the lean ground beef was filled with pink slime. Without the pink slime, the cost would be 20 % higher.

So if BPI shuts downs its "pink slime' operation, americans will pay 21.2 million dollars for lean ground beef in 2012 compared to 17.6 million dollars.

I didn't include any other categories because I assume that pink slime is not used as an adjunct in the more expensive cuts of ground beef.

Just putting some perspective on this.

Tired of Control Freaks

And that is just one category

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

The meat was recovered from parts of the cow that were known to be infected with E. Coli. By disinfecting the meat, they make it safe for human consumption. This is meat that would have to be thrown away if it wasn't disinfected.

That is why I believe the "pink slime" is on par with the Japanese "turd burger".

Disinfected and ready for human consumption!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I am going to try to take the emotion out of this issue

See this link for the amount of ground beef sold in the United States in the 4th quarter 2011

beefretail.org...

For just 1 category Lean Ground Beef = 156.3 million pounds at an average cost of $2.82 / lb
That is a total of approximately 4.4 million dollars. That is just one quarter but lets assume that the other 3 quarters are not much different. This is a yearly total of 17.6 million dollars

Lets assume that 20 % of the lean ground beef was filled with pink slime. Without the pink slime, the cost would be 20 % higher.

So if BPI shuts downs its "pink slime' operation, americans will pay 21.2 million dollars for lean ground beef in 2012 compared to 17.6 million dollars.

I didn't include any other categories because I assume that pink slime is not used as an adjunct in the more expensive cuts of ground beef.

Just putting some perspective on this.

Tired of Control Freaks

How much did the pink slime (yuk) cost ?

It wasn't free was it ?

~had it up to *here* with (icky) additives !

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

You know, at the end of the day, this isn't an issue that I have any real interest. I am a Canadian. but here is the final point I am trying to make:

There are people who have a vested interest in arousing you to anger through the use of strong emotions like disgust and fear. James Oliver, the chef who made a point of bringing "pink slime" to your attention is such a person. He wants to make a name for himself as the chef who tackled "childhood obesity". He needs funding. Funding to tackle the issues but also funding to pay himself with. And he obviously did it in the most disgusting way possible in order to arouse your emotions!

There are vegetarians who will use this issue to try and convince people not to eat meat. They will also be looking for funding.

Peta is another group that is looking for funding.

Obviously, there are corporations who would be happy to provide funding because if they can control public opinion, they can make more money. I can think of the organic food industry for one! Certainly, other meat processing facilities would be another.

When an issue like this comes up - try to learn the facts and strip the emotion out of your response. Try to think of the issue without any emotion what so ever.

Here are the facts:

1. Whether you like or not, this is a meat product that is perfectly acceptable for human consumption
2. Using all the recoverable meat from the cow, reduces the number of cows that need to be raised and slaughtered (good for the environment)
3. Adding this meat as a "filler" or an adjunct to ground beef makes the final product cheaper. There are some people who really count their pennies in a grocery store. Would you prefer that they end up buying dog or cat food?
4. If you don't wish to eat this product, you don't have to. Simply pay a higher price for the better quality meat.
But by banning this product, you are condemning other people to paying the higher price as well. Since this product is used in school lunch programs, you have another choice to make. Simply provide your kid with a nutritious lunch, all by yourself. But why would you deny poor kids the right to eat this product. It does have protein and amino acids and nutrient value.
5. And how many kids go hungry in the United States every day?

On the other hand, I do think you all have the right to make sure that the food products you buy are properly labelled.

Could that be a satisfactory solution to every body. Force the company to properly label the product so that you can have a choice about whether you and your family eat the product or not but allow others who desire the cheaper product the choice of buying it if they want to? This solution would also allow BPI and everyone who works for them to continue on about their business.

And don't let the activists stampede you into a situation where the only acceptable solution is one dictated by a relatively small number of people.

Don't be controlled by those who would manipulate your emotions. Think about what you really want to do in this situation.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

for That 20% of all 'lean ground beef' produced/sold ... not the entire market on the whole

actual prices, at the checkout, would likely see but a mere 4+/-% increase on the whole.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 'problem' I have with it all is two-fold.

One,
Until more recent years, this wasn't done to the extent that it is now or has come to be ... the technology simply didn't exist to the extent that it we have now, Nor did the desire to 'reclaim' that which historically would have otherwise gone to 3rd-party 'processors' as 'non-human' waste, if you will.

Two,
Just because it's 'declared' safe by the FDA ... doesn't mean it's necessarily 'good for you'.

... just Ask Mikey,

:shk:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

And again I ask....if a law was passed requiring the producer to label all meat products that have "fine textured meat product" in it, and you had a choice to pay more for the better meat product....

why would you insist on taking the choice to buy it from other people?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I've no issue whatsoever with regards proper and accurate 'labeling' ... especially when it comes to meat or seafood products.

If I were to go to the store and ask for 2 1/2# ground round ... there better be NO label stating it ALSO contains any X% added Anything. (?)

If that be the case ...

label it as or similar to, '80% beef - 20% by-product/filler' ... or some such shyte.

NO problems whatsoever with truly accurate labeling ... but don't allow claims of 100% beef when in all Honesty .... it's Not.

Plain. Pure and Simple, imo.

[ETA]

why would you insist on taking the choice to buy it from other people?

If accurately labeled as such (?) ... I'd have no problem with it whatsoever ...

problem being .. it's Currently Not.

80/20 ground beef, chuck, round or what have you ... apparently doesn't mean it Is.

... unless, of course, you factor in 'that other 20%'

edit on 4/2/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Well, it has been pleasant to finally have a rational debate. In the end, we agree that labelling would solve most of the concerns.

Let others be dragged by the nose by those who would manipulate their emotions (and these indeed are the control freaks to whom my signature refers)

For myself - I will try to view an issue from many sides and arrive at a rational solution.

Nice talking with you

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I thought everyone would like to see a video on this issue put out by the Wall Street Journal.

online.wsj.com...

You can get a look at some of the beef scraps that are used in this process for yourself. I don't know but it looks like pretty good chunks of meat to me!

Anyway - the upshot of the video is that the beef industry has decided to properly label the ground beef that contains this product.

I don't know if that will be enough. Certainly, I agree that the industry should have labelled it sooner. Apparently about 70 % of the ground beef products actually contain this stuff.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Sorry.

I see little mOar than damage control so as not to hurt the 'industry' further.

If your 'bottom line' rests solely on or is so dependent upon using that which was otherwise, and typically, sold off for 'non-human' use ...

... then ya need to rethink your business, model.

Personally,
I'll take my 'beef' SANS the high-technology food processing

OR,
as TOCF's has noted throughout ... Label It Right, and let the consumers decide. (!)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I thought you might be interested in reading the "fall-out" from the pink slime scare.

www.consumerfreedom.com...

What concerns me is the record high price for ground beef and how that might be affecting the poor.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I bought a case of frozen "Angus " burgers at the grocery division of a well known national chain market last week. They were labeled 100% angus beef. As soon as I opened the package it was obvious they were made with pink slime. Since food is on a budget I proceeded to grill them anyways. The kids ate them fine, but me and the misses took one bite and gagged. The rest are in the trash. I want to do something about the labeling but is it worth it over 8 bucks and one bad meal? I would imagine this chain has some pretty deep pockets. I guess some people just aren't very discerning, or they would be off the shelves due to no repeat sales. Still, I hate be played for a sucker. I will be shopping elsewhere in the future out of protest.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Well I never like to see a business
go bankrupt..

Let the buyers decide
and they did.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join