It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Man Who Would Be King [WRC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Bombs scattered the earth, sending sprays of dirt and shrapnel into the air, mud splattering the faces of the stout men of the 74th regular infantry. Around them the battle raged, the last of it’s kind in this world.
This was the last battle these men would ever face. Many had died along the way, crushed, beaten, broken, smashed into the ground like toys, but the Great Commander King promised them this was the last time they would ever take up arms in this fight for liberty, for the world peace they had savoured for so long. Like a beacon of light, proud Commander King stood atop the mounds of riven earth, scanning the horizon, seemingly invincible.

“Left bank, fire!” Out of the smoke and ashes tanks, some futuristic in design, others more classical fired deadly beams of red light at their enemies. Charging forth on a hodge podge of broken down vehicles, the ground exploded beneath them, sending vehicles sliding to their sides and roofs. King smiled, knowing the battle was it’s close, that he alone, had saved the world, this last patch of dirt his Armageddon, the final road to peace. And of course, total control. As silence fell over the battlefield the rattle of gunfire ceased. Down in the trenches, his men paused, their rifles drooping.

“Is that it?” one asked, peering over the edge of the dirty trench. King continued to scan, as though he could see something the men could not. Given his great height, it wouldn’t surprise the troops if he couldn’t see to the very horizon.
Then, slowly, a distant rumble. Followed by another, this one closer. The men gazed about nervously as the stomps became louder and more prominent. Then King saw. His stern face widened in surprise as the blot on the horizon swiftly became bigger.

“Rifles down!” he screeched, “tanks regroup. All batteries fire!” Out of the mists came a creature the men had never seen. Towering over them, the creature was possessed of four muscular legs, murderous eyes sat behind horrible elongated fangs. Like lightning it descended upon the men, sending them scattering left and right, many cut down by this relentless nightmarish engine of death. Hefting his sword and rifle in each muscular hand, King leaped over the trenches in one bound, his intent this new threat. The creature turned it’s keen stare on the Commander, lightning bolts shooting from it’s eyes as he leaped forth, impossibly ducking and weaving the brilliant light, leaping to strike the monster in it’s muscled forepaw with his sword. The creature hissed and growled in retaliation, swiping hard across the head of King, who deftly ducked, landing a huge fist in the creature’s maw. It teetered for a second, unsure of what had just struck it. The eyes lolled for a moment, then as quickly as it had appeared, the monster turned tail and fled the battlefield.
“The battle is ours men!” he proclaimed, raising his rifle in the air, “we have peace at last!” As his men cheered wildly as the rains began to fall, signalling the end of the thirty year war. King was victorious. He smiled over his men, knowing they would crown him their Lord, follow him into hell and back if he so decreed it. As the rains ran down his muscled frame, a great light lit up the sky like a nuclear explosion. The men turned away in surprise as King staggered under this newest development.

“William King!” the voice boomed, coming from far above him.

“Who speaks to the great Commander King, savior of the human race?” he challenged, unafraid.

“I am your Maker. It is time for your greatness to be annointed in My presence in preparation for the Great Feast,” The voice responded, as the rains intensified.

“My men and I have just secured the future of this world. Peace reigns upon my new kingdom oh Great Voice. Would you join us in celebration?” he asked, the skies growing dark.

“I ask you again, oh Great Commander William King, for you and your men to join us in our Great Hall. Stay yourself from this paltry weather and be annointed in preparation for the Great Feast. I am your Maker after all.”

“Allow me to gather my troops, and bask in our victory first, oh Maker.”
“Wait. What?”
“Billy King, you pack up your army men and come inside immediately! It’s raining!” Billy’s mother stood in the doorway of their home, the porch light shining down upon him. Outside the rains pelted his sandbox to mush, as the boy sat there, soaking.

“But mum, I just won the last battle for the earth!” he protested, “I’m now the Supreme Commander of the whole world!” His mum smiled.

“Come inside and have a bath supreme commander. You can rule over your new world tomorrow.”
Billy smiled. There would be time to rule the world tomorrow.

edit on 2-4-2012 by 74Templar because: story edit

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Oh, I thought as I read, a sort of John Carter of Mars spin-off, very cool, as a read about a blend of ancient and modern weaponry. I soo wasn't prepared for your ending! Epic twist, well deserving of a flag.

A tough topic, and even tougher competition.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Would suggest a second read once you know the ending. There's a few little tidbits that become clearer after knowing what it's about.

Cheers for the comment

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

In a Yoda voice:

"Talent you have. Writer status not. Feel the force strong I do, very strong for you. Hrrmm. Continue, you should."

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Didn't see that coming

Very nice story.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Now that is good descriptive writing S&F

new topics

top topics

join