It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Glowing ball" seen in NZ skies 02/04/12

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

VIDEO

Police and MetService have received dozens of calls this evening about an object seen in the skies over New Zealand described as looking like a "crashing satellite".

The police received more than 20 calls about 7pm from people concerned about what the object is, a communications spokesman said.

The spokesman said it was a contrail, which is a trail of condensation left by plane's flight path.

MetService received numerous calls from residents in the lower North Island and upper South Island.

Calls had been mainly from Wellington, Kaikoura and Otaki.

Several Wellington Stuff readers said they'd seen it. Some described it as a shooting star which burned yellow and green.

One reader described it as a "glowing ball" shooting through the sky at speed.

"It left a distinctive vapour trail and it wasn't in a straight line, it was curved and irregular. It then exploded and the vapour trail ended. I could still see the glowing ball and after a second it exploded again and I could see the vapour trail again."

Others said it moved in a zig zag pattern rather than a straight line and "popped twice and disappeared".

A Wellington resident said it looked like a "crashing satellite". They said it "exploded in the sky with a green flash".

WeatherWatch.co.nz tweeted that a "spectacular fireball", thought to be a meteor was seen over Wellington and Christchurch.

To me this isnt a normal contrail, were there any expected satellite re-enties lately??

Will keep my eyes open on this one, see if any more footage surfaces.

What say you ats?
www.stuff.co.nz...
edit on 2-4-2012 by grindhouzer because: Video

edit on 2-4-2012 by grindhouzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

LATEST: A bright and colourful object that flew across the sky tonight, and was spotted by hundreds of people across the country, is thought to be a meteorite.

Earth and Sky senior observer Matt Hall said it was "most likely" a meteorite.

"As it enters the Earth's atmosphere, it burns up into smaller pieces. They saw quite a bright light shooting from northeast to east with what looked like bright sparks coming off the back of it."

Meteorites often looked like they were overhead when in fact they were a long way away, he said.

Police earlier said the line left in the sky was possibly a contrail, the water vapour that trails a plane's flight path.

Police received more than 20 calls around 7pm from people concerned about what the object is, a communications spokesman said.

Would a meteorite leave a contrail like this in our atmosphere?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
It could be a rocket of some sort. I know they are known to produce trails such as the one in the photo. Are there any rocketry clubs or military instalations near you? It sounds like it could have malfunctioned or something. Scary if that's the case. I don't know if that is what it is but it is an Idea.

edit: I don't think a meteorite would leave a contrail like that but I could be wrong. It would depend on the composition of said meteorite i guess.
edit on 2/4/12 by usmc0311 because: added content.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
could be a rocket or somethin. A meteorite could leave a trail like that, if it was attached to a rocket or some kind of missile. Is their a video of it being made?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Definatly no rockets down here in New Zealand, weve got rocket rentals tho

rocketrentals.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
This from spaceweather.com :

APRIL 1st ASTEROID FLYBY: Newly discovered near-Earth asteroid 2012 EG5 is flying past Earth today about halfway between Earth and the Moon. There's no danger of a collision. At closest approach on April 1st, the Dreamliner-sized space rock will be about 230,000 km from Earth.

So that shuts down the Meteorite option

Also a list of near earth asteriods and meteors from spaceweather.com

2012 EG5 Apr 1 0.6 LD -- 59 m
2012 FW35 Apr 1 8.3 LD -- 23 m
2012 FQ62 Apr 2 5.7 LD -- 31 m
2012 FS52 Apr 2 8.9 LD -- 47 m

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
www.3news.co.nz...

Watch this for a laugh. Campbell says it could me a Comet or other things. Comet. LOL. Anyways, its good to hear the witnesses account.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
It does look like a rocket trail , maybe it was from the launch of KiwiSAT .
"Current Status (7/3/2012) KiwiSAT. All systems are now fight ready.
www.kiwisat.org.nz...

rocketlab.co.nz

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Yeah... space debris isn't going to leave a mark like that in the sky. Whatever that was probably had some form of propulsion or a leak of some kind, and seems to have gone out of control which fits the whole exploding thing. All the sharp turns and stuff is not typical of a plane either. And if it's not a rocket... I dunno.

Great find anyway. Too bad no shots of the glowing object itself though.
edit on 2/4/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

Oh you added a vid. Time to see.

edit on 2/4/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Fair call, dint know of this...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

I edited the op with updated pic of siad object and a video

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
this is all very titillating and all
but i hope someone comes up with some video of whatever-it-is in motion
the 'popping', the zigzagging...
even a few seconds of film could go a loooong way in this instance

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
One Kiwi mentions an "American jet flying low over our house" at the same time the "meteor" was streaking across the sky.
Here:
www.3news.co.nz... teor-blazing-across-NZ-night-sky/tabid/423/articleID/249039/Default.aspx

Some interesting comments from the general public on various NZ news sites too.

edit on 2-4-2012 by homerJ because: spelling

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Heh, i saw a shooting star tonight in South Australia, about 2 hours ago, funny if it was the same thing.

If it were a contrail, it would evaporate pretty quickly. According to the current approximate NZ temperature, it's 19degrees, i'd imagine it would have to be a lot colder for a contrail to linger as long as it looks like it has, in the photo.

Then again, when do planes glow like that?

I see planes every day in the sky leaving contrails, or chemtrails i don't really care what you want to call them, they leave a trail of white gas like particles that last sometimes seconds or many minutes. However each time, you can see it's clearly a plane, and they have flashing lights.

It can't even be confirmed this is a plane, let alone the product of a plane....

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Wouldn't it make sense to think the contrail was made to curve by the wind. In the first picture the object looks like its flying pretty straight. In the second, it looks like wind made some parts of the trail move, making it look like trajectory was irregular.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Lots of close-approach asteroids being discovered latelly..

Lots of meteorites in the skies...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Jet streams high in the atmosphere don't all march along side like Roman soldiers. Swirling winds is what causes the contrail to move about differently in different areas. Its also quite cold up there, you realize Mt. Everest is the same latitude as Tampa Florida, yet it's snow covered year round. This is meteorology 101 stuff, or at least people should realize why jets have deicing systems, why the tree line stops, why mountain tops are snow covered, common...

Check out the crazy trails on this thread.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by grindhouzer

To me this isnt a normal contrail...

No it's not; highly irregular.

You see, there's this phenomenon called "wind" and it affects contrails over a period of time to distort them from the normally "straight" lines they make.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
edit: I don't think a meteorite would leave a contrail like that but I could be wrong.

I agree, at least the footage of the trail at 00:13 looks more like an aircraft contrail than a meteor's contrail. You can see the contrail breaking up into what look like clouds. Having seen many trains left by large meteors (mostly in recorded footage), this does not look like a meteor.

Having said that, the still image at 00:53 does resemble a meteor (either natural or artificial), especially the front, which looks very bright, but I've seen contrails that imitate meteor trains before, and the video footage makes me think aircraft rather than meteor/reentry.

Originally posted by usmc0311
edit: I don't think a meteorite would leave a contrail like that but I could be wrong. It would depend on the composition of said meteorite i guess.

Actually, when trying to ID a suspected meteor train, the main characteristic to look for is caused by the difference in altitude: Meteor/fireball trains are at extremely high altitude compared to normal aircraft contrails. The winds at high altitude are very high speed, and arranged in layers, a bit like an onion, so when a meteor plunges through them, it gets distorted and torn apart in a very short time frame to a lower altitude aircraft contrail, which is usually traveling within a layer rather than punching down through them.

Meteor trains start to distort in seconds, where as lower level contrails distort (visibly) in tens of seconds. Unfortunately, we don't have timings/descriptions here, which makes it not quite so straight forward, but I'm fairly certain from the way that the train has begun to disperse, that it's not a meteor/rocket/reentry.

Originally posted by grindhouzer
So that shuts down the Meteorite option

Yes, I agree it's probably not a meteor, but not for the reason you posted.

We can't spot all of the asteroids out there (let alone the meteoroids!), so because there is nothing known about in the vicinity of earth at this time, does not mean there is nothing out there capable of hitting us. Many tones of extra terrestrial material enter the atmosphere every day, and virtually all of it is impossible to predict.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Here's some new footage of the event

Based on this footage, I would have to say, there is no doubt that this was a meteor/fireball in my mind. It looks genuine to me.

I still think some of the earlier footage was of aircraft contrails, but there was also footage which looked like a meteor train in the news report footage. Confusing to say the least!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join