It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have we as a civilization out-grown god?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Going back to OP's original question, i'm sorry to say that I don't think we have outgrown god or religion yet as a civilisation.

Imagine if you were to take away all the places of worship, all the holy books, and all the religious leaders overnight. The vast majority of the population would be rendered useless; without their religious guidance they simply would not be able to function in the same way as before. It seems as though religion is too deeply engrained into our diseased society to be removed all at once. It is a cancer that cannot be removed in a single operation, but must be shrank back through prolonged treatment.

It may be possible to phase out religion in the long-term, but the sad truth is that right now civilisation would collapse if it was removed in an instant. As others have said, this removal of religion must not be done forcefully, as that would only alienate the believers from the non-believers and result in extremism and conflict. Instead I hope that rational debate and scientific advancement will win the day over blind faith, but to be honest i'm not optimistic about it as we do seem to heading in the wrong direction.

Then again, will we ever be able to disprove the existence of a god? Probably not, but believers will certainly not be able to prove that there is one. We will never be able to completely eliminate faith from society for that very reason, but hopefully removing religion will be possible, and it is that which is the real problem that civilisation faces, not the simple belief in a higher power.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Atheism: 1. archaic: ungodliness, wickedness. 2. a: a disbelief in the existence of deity b: the doctrine that there is no deity.

, You're belief is that there is no deity.

Ahhhhhhhhhh - - archaic dictionaries with personal opinion. Aren't they fun.

Dictionaries are catching up to the correct and only definition of Atheism.

Atheism: Lack of Belief in a god/deity

It is not disbelief. Because to disbelief - - you'd first have to acknowledge to say you don't belief.

LACK OF BELIEF - - as in nothing.

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join