It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have we as a civilization out-grown god?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
reply to post by Annee

The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.

This is an example of what I mean when I say some religions are tribal – if you don’t fall in line and worship their totems then you become less than human in their eyes and can be abused

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Excuse me?

I currently have an atheist and a satanist who is addicted to heroin sleeping on my living room couch at night because they would be homeless without me.

I talk to them about God even if they don't wanna hear it, while they are in my house eating my food and i am giving htem shelter, the least they can do is talk to me about their Creator.

I would give you the shirt off my back without thinking twice. No matter your beliefs.

But you better believe I will argue with you, in a vain desperate attempt to save your soul....Not from eternal hell either. From eternal death.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Iason321

they don't have a clue who the creator is... we must explain through the use of compassion in the truth of our words.

I suppose it is all in the arrangement teacher...

you obviously have compassion

(1 John 1:7) -KJV

"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin"

edit on 2-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

reply to post by racasan

Excuse me?

I currently have an atheist and a satanist who is addicted to heroin sleeping on my living room couch at night because they would be homeless without me.

So.

Atheism is Lack of Belief in a God. It is NOT a behavior.

Behavior is individual - - - no matter what one believes or doesn't.

I've had multiple people living with me at various times. Everyone just calls me Mom. Few people know my first name.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You're right.

And that lack of belief in a God leads to moral depravity.

You won't understand why that is though, or what I'm trying to say.

Every word out of my mouth is nonsense to you all.

Oh well, it's part of His plan.

I'm glad you have compassion for your fellow man - that's more than many so called "Christians" can say.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Well how noble of you

But:
An atheist and a Satanist – if this isn’t about tribal behaviour why bother with that detail - are they not just people to you?

And the price they pay for your generosity is that they only have to put up with you telling them about your god(s) - and if this isn’t about tribal behaviour why bother telling them about your tribes god(s)?

Could you not just put them up without all the hoopla regarding your religion?

edit on 2-4-2012 by racasan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by racasan

Well how noble of you

But:
An atheist and a Satanist – if this isn’t about tribal behaviour why bother with that detail - are they not just people to you?

And the price they pay for your generosity is that they only have to put up with you telling them about your god(s) - and if this isn’t about tribal behaviour why bother with detail of trying to get them into your tribe?

Could you not just put them up without all the hoopla regarding your religion?

It's not tribal behavior, and they are just people. I bothered with that detail to show that I am not judgemental or biased about people just because of their religion, like us Christians are so often accused of being.

I am not telling them about God to try to get them into my tribe - I am offering them the Gift of God.

Believe in God and live his commandments, and your life on earth will be long and blessed.
Believe in Jesus the Christ, and be granted eternal life in Paradise.

Or continue to not believe, and have a cursed life on earth, and a non existent afterlife.

The choice is theirs, I just reach out and offer it to them.

And I do not badger them with my Religion - my religion is mixed, sometimes I attend Catholic services, sometimes I go Pentecostal, Sometimes I go Baptist, but through and through I am always CHRISTIAN.

Christianity is more of a spiritual way of life, than a religion...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by spy66
reply to post by Annee

Hell yes it matters. It is NOT God. I am well aware of the "trick" to call it God. Not interested.

It matter, but its not God???? Well you can call it what ever you like. It will not change, no matter what name you put on it. You understand that right?

But you can make up whatever word you want.

I prefer Hawking.
edit on 2-4-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

Hawking is a dangerous man to listen to if you have no bases to understand what he is saying. Just like religion is to a person who dosent know what it is. The two believes are basically the same.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

reply to post by racasan

Care to explain how this person is an atheist and a satanist?

Satanists believe in an earthly god, or there's also the "devil worshiping" types of satanists who believe in the Christian god and also his adversary.

Atheists don't believe in earthly gods or christian gods.

There's also atheistic satanism, which is following the philosophy described in the satanic bible, but not any of the supernatural claims. However, that's different than "an atheist and a satanist".

~
There's so many branches of "satanism" that the word says nothing about your beliefs without describing which it is. For that, I won't assume it's a branch mutually exclusive with atheism. However, some elaboration would be nice. At the very least, to clarify that you aren't full of it.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

One of them is an atheist the other is a Spiritual Satanist.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Telling people who don't share their views that they will have "a cursed life on earth, and a non existent afterlife" is typical of an Abramic monotheist. These religious belief systems that go around spouting that they are right whilst all about them are damned all hail from this family of quarrelsome, pedantic and perpetually troubled faiths.

No other religious belief system on this planet aside from the Abramic faiths preach eternal damnation to their detractors. The Abramic faith systems are responsible for more conflict and suffering on this planet than anything else in human history, literally millions have been put to death in the name of christendom, islam and judaism, whole nations of indigenous peoples wiped out, countless wars mounted. Proud native cultures stripped of their dignity and left to impotently wallow in the mire of shame that is the concept of 'sin' by missionary's who's fervency didn't stop them from taking and keeping sex slaves(still going on to this day). The monstrous political beast that was the roman catholic church used the terror of eternal damnation to amount the largest empire of lust, power and depravity ever seen on the face of this earth. It's still there too, gilded in gold, but thankfully no longer able to wield such terrifying power.

Each of the three main Abramic religions all denounce the others, even the multitude of sects within each religion all claim their sovereign right to know the actual one god, whilst the rest have gotten it wrong, it's the same god they all worship, a vengeful and wrathful deity. The notion that, for example, God would allow only born again christians into heaven on judgment day whilst denying everyone else access because they 'got the wrong answer'(quote Mr Hicks) is again typical of the Abramic faiths, the childish 'I'm right and everyone else is wrong' syndrome. Or should i say 'I'm right and everyone else is going to burn in a lake of fire for eternity'...a smugness seen here on ATS in abundance.

I believe in religious freedom, that a man or woman may believe what he/she chooses and not be persecuted for it. But when I hear somebody say "we need to get rid of religion" I know exactly what they mean, even though I don't actually agree, it's the 'troublesome three' they wish to be rid of, and I don't blame em.
edit on 2-4-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Your entire post is moot.

You might as well try to convince me you don't exist yourself.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

You're the last person on here I'd bother with.
edit on 2-4-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Amen then.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

What you say is all true. It happened to us Norwegians to back in the old old days. We were faced with the choice of becoming Christians or be killed.

But that just shows how dangerous religion can be in the wrong hands. Just like a gun can be dangerous in the hands of a maniac. Miss use of religion can only be blamed on the users. Miss use of religion has been forced onto people by people with political, economical and personal interests. These are people with no respect for religion or the value of a human life. If you blame religion, you probably never would accuse the user on behalf of he's defence.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.

*poof*

I'm guessing that sign is Icthus.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

(Puts hands over ears and sings "LaLaLaLa....LaLaLaLaLa....")

The truth is hard to hear. Maybe you're too young. Maybe religion is necessary in your life right now, what with all the riff raff you got going on. I suppose one would need something to hold onto, lest one partake of some satanistic lesbian included, heroin laced orgy in your living room.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

heism is Lack of Belief in a God. It is NOT a behavior

Call it whatever you want, it's still the belief that there is no God. You can shove the word "lack" up it's arse but it's the same bloody thing.

You're just a watered down agnostic and this comes from a reformed agnostic, you're pandering with semantics, thinking you can stick a word in there to change the fact that you do have a belief but that it's just not what we believe

Atheism: 1. archaic: ungodliness, wickedness. 2. a: a disbelief in the existence of deity b: the doctrine that there is no deity.

, You're belief is that there is no deity.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

One of them is an atheist the other is a Spiritual Satanist.

Ah, I was under the impression you were describing one single person.

Going back, I can see that was clear now.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by Annee

heism is Lack of Belief in a God. It is NOT a behavior

Call it whatever you want, it's still the belief that there is no God. You can shove the word "lack" up it's arse but it's the same bloody thing.

You're just a watered down agnostic and this comes from a reformed agnostic, you're pandering with semantics, thinking you can stick a word in there to change the fact that you do have a belief but that it's just not what we believe

Atheism: 1. archaic: ungodliness, wickedness. 2. a: a disbelief in the existence of deity b: the doctrine that there is no deity.

, You're belief is that there is no deity.

atheist: somebody who does not believe in God or deities

There's so much variation in definition from dictionary to dictionary. So how about we set that aside, and address what's believed and what's not believed.

The difference between lack of believe, and believing against, boils down to two different claims. One claim, is that there's no evidence to warrent a belief in any deities. No evidence for Thor, no evidence for Zues, no evidence for Yahweh, no evidence for the invisible pink unicorn, and no evidence for the Flying Spaghetti monster.

Just as you don't believe in 4 of those without absolute proof that they don't exist, it's easy to not believe in Yahweh, when the only thing he has more than the others, is a larger fan base.

And this is where most atheists fall. Generally keyed as "Weak Atheism"

~
Then there's others that argue that there's positive evidence against any God's existence. These people are a minority amongst atheists, though you act like they're the majority. These people are called "Strong Atheists".

~
If you don't want semantics to be played, then don't play them. Don't attack definitions, but the actual reasoning. Without a reason to believe something exists, you don't believe it exists, even if you can't positively prove it doesn't. There's the reasoning, attack that instead trying to attack the words into having a different meaning.

~

Avoltronism: 1. archaic: ungodliness, wickedness. 2. a: a disbelief in the existence of Voltron b: the doctrine that there is no Voltron.

Do you believe in Voltron? Do you have strong prove that he doesn't exist in any way shape or form? How can you believe that there's no Voltron without having infinite knowledge of every nook and cranny of the universe?

Therefore, it's only reasonable to believe in Voltron.

/Your line of reasoning.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join