It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA CONFIRMS Monsanto ecological Disaster: GMO Corn has bred Mutant, bT-resistant Super Bugs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
What really makes me worry is.

In watching the short 3 minute video, it talks about how Monsanto gets the non-native DNA into the organism of choice. Via a tumor causing bacteria. (malignant or benign??).

So, if they are using tumors to transfer DNA, and that tumor-causing bacteria is still IN THE FOOD..

How does it effect those that eat it, be it the fish, the livestock, or the foul.

Just as importantly, WHAT ABOUT HUMANS?

Cancer has been on the rise for at least a decade. Could this be a major contributing factor to such a thing?

This, to me, is the 900 pound elephant in the room that no one seems to talk about.

Aside that, I am in serious doubt about the scientists having "considered all the possible outcomes" to what they are doing.

You have flipped off dna signals by removing them from the object, and created or turned on new ones or ones that have been dormant for who knows how long; by inserting the new dna strand from the other object.

Now, whats to say that something horrid doesn't get flipped on in some tomato or potato? Some ancient defense mechanism that was turned off 5000 years ago by evolutionary changes.

Cyanide producing tomatoes anyone? (Yes, I know, not impossible, just highly improbable.)

It is very concerning, I feel like a lab rat in the worlds largest science building.

I cannot see voluntary change coming for the good of mankind. They won't stop just because we ask them nicely to stop messing with the world, mother nature, and us. They've lost they're minds.. bunch of zombies running the world..

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused
reply to post by Snoopy1978

The FDA is the one that needs to go. The EPA is bad enough but they're no where near as evil. Monsanto would not be as powerful as it is without its FDA buddies to party with on the weekends.

Good point.

The FDA is totally corrupt. Take the generic vs brand meds for example. Two differently dosed and filler containing meds the FDA approve as "exactly alike". Disgusting. The FDA must go but be replaced with an honest agency. Corporations are not going to regulate themselves. The basis of capitalism is profit over all, even quality and consumer health/safety. The government's job is to regulate and PROSECUTE dishonest corps that scam and endager the public.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cygnis
They've lost they're minds.. bunch of zombies running the world..

To put it simply and frank, at this rate, cause of Monsanto, Dow et al, I would say we are already in the incubation phase and by 2036 we will have a full-blown epidemic of novel GMO bred variant proteins eating away the brains of most humans worldwide. An uncurable slew of prions with 100% fatality. The human population in at least America, reduced to a few individuals, 5 at most.

In a nutshell That IS our future unless enough people respond against Monsanto noq to change our timeline befoew its too late, to extend our species' expiry some.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

Episodes of wide Bt resistance in pest populations have occurred before the production of Bt crops due to the chronic use of Bacillus thuringiensis on fields without the utilization of other pesticides or any of the other preventative measures used by large scale agriculture specifically to prevent the proliferation of any type of resistance genes throughout pest populations.

Did you read the link that you posted? It did nothing more than show that different Cry pro-toxins are lethal to different species and highly promotes Bt crops. They suggest overcoming resistance to specific Cry proteins by creating transgenic plants that express a wider variety of this class of proteins, especially those shown to be effective against pests which already possess resistance traits.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
the insect version of MRSA!

As published in the WALL STREET JOURNAL,

online.wsj.com...

Here's a living example where Monsanto Bt Corn (GE spliced with Bacillus thuringiensis DNA which provides an in-plant pesticide on rootworms and caterpillars)... has FAILED and the corn plants have lost pest resistance in the WORST way: the rootworms, earworms, and caterpillars in subsequent generations have developed a mutant strain RESISTANT to Bacillus thuringiensis which had never yet occured before Monsanto splicing the Bt into Corn genes and upon consumption passing on a Bt resistant strain in subsequent generation.

Great, just great, way to go Monsanto, now farmers cannot rely on the the natural Bacillus thuringiensis toxin naturally present in the soil to help keep earworms & rootworms at bay... because Monsanto's bT GMO corn has passed on a mutation for resistance to bT toxin to them

The EPA has determined that resistance to Monsanto's BT genetically modified corn appears to be evolving in the rootworm population. Monsanto appears to have not expected such rapid failure of this GMO crop, which was just introduced in 2003, to control rootworms. EPA has determined that Monsanto's response to performance failures it cannot explain are inadequate.

This is what the Monsanto idiots (who thought they could play God & control Nature) have wrought & brought upon us. Famines? Maybe that's what they wanted anyway.

What can we do, using natural means, to counter this?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Are you even remotely serious?

Please read about prion knockout cows, specifically double prion knockout cows. Genetic engineers are working hard to protect society from the dangers of prion diseases like mad cow disease, not spread them.
www.youtube.com...
www.businesswire.com...
edit on 2-4-2012 by 1nfiniteLoop because: it to them

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I have to say this is the best news I've heard in a while. Although it may not be good news for future crops of non gmo foods, still you've got to get rid of the problem so a solution can be implemented. What I find amusing is their denial, right in line with the worst of addicts.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1nfiniteLoopAre you even remotely serious?
Please read about prion knockout cows, specifically double prion knockout cows. Genetic engineers are working hard to protect society from the dangers of prion diseases like mad cow disease, not spread them.
www.youtube.com...
www.businesswire.com...
edit on 2-4-2012 by 1nfiniteLoop because: it to them

LOL it is the very current virally spliced GMO produce & future entrance of & cloned PrP/Doppel KO BSE free bovines into consumption which merge into an epidemic mutant prionic singularity sabotaging the crucial shadoo protein & other human DNA thru recombinant gene transfer, precipitating rogue vCJD strains across the human pop and the desperate (attempted) cloning of vCJD 'resistant' Prp/Doppel KO humans in attempt to save our species.

www.ibiblio.org...

Large questions remain over the propriety, safety, ethics of creating cloned prionless cows, James Robl, chief scientific officer of Hematch of Connecticut, told the New Scientist in 2004 that the US company had only created the cell lines lacking the prion gene, and denied that cloned cows would be produced for food

He said that the aim of the work was to use BSE-free cows to produce pharmaceutical products such as human antibodies, but that these cows were unlikely to end up on the dinner plate. That turned out to be a smokescreen, as we point out, there is no guarantee that hazardous experimental cloned transgenic cows will not enter the human food chain.

The project raises the question of whether it is proper science to devote such Herculean efforts to creating prionless cows, as it would merely perpetuate an intensive, industrial animal husbandry regime that created BSE in the first place. Prionless cows are both transgenic and cloned, and hence subject to the potential hazards and also the questionable ethics of both the transgenic and the cloning processes, regardless of whether they are intended for our dinner plate or for producing pharmaceuticals.

Cloning creates massive deaths and suffering for failed fetuses and calves and also for the numerous surrogate dams required, and transgenesis in combination with cloning increases the number of cloning steps, and hence multiplies deaths and suffering. It is not clear whether the calves still carry antibiotic-resistance markers with loxP sites, the enhanced promoter from the SV40 virus, the Cre recombinase, or indeed, the diphtheria toxin A gene integrated at non-target sites in the genome. All of these dangerous genes could be subject to horizontal gene transfer and recombination, and in the process, trigger cancer (if transferred to human cells in the case of the strong viral promoter), and create and recreate viruses and bacteria that cause disease epidemics. Cre-recombinase is known to scramble genomes (see Box 1). In conclusion cloned transgenic animals should not be approved for commercial use, nor should public research funding go to support such projects. Cloned transgenic animals are far from safe on existing evidence, and certainly not ethical in terms of animal welfare.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Why is it I always get the feeling that the powers that be have a agenda to keep us as sick and poor as possible. Maybe a way to try and kill off some people in order to cut down the worlds population. in a sick cold way it makes sense, if the world is getting more and more overpopulated try and weaken people so more people die out that way it will reduce the population. I am not sure but there is some really evil stuff going on here.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Ummm, no.

All mammals have naturally occurring prion proteins which are harmless in their natural condition. It is the misshapen form of the protein, which rarely but surely occurs due to natural mutations, that causes prion disease by converting the normal form of the protein into the misshapen form. The resulting change in structure is responsible for the holes seen in affected brains. They have not been eaten by any infectious agent, as you suggest.

Double prion knockout cows, which do not produce any of the naturally occurring, innocuous prion proteins cannot develop or carry disease-causing prions because they do not have the healthy form to convert into the misshapen form. End of story.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Socrato
I can't believe Monsanto is still legal! Just the other day I heard they bought a GMO bee company and might make bees that would ONLY pollinate their own crops!

www.stltoday.com...

How can this possibly not be a crime against nature/humanity/whatever. The highest crime possible

Because when you own the law, the courts and the government, there is no such thing as a crime..

You want to stop Monsanto, you have to do it the old fashiond way, the hard way..

Monsanto knows this, It's why they have a huge investment in Blackwater International and can use their own private army to protect their assets when it dose come to the final straw.

edit on 4/3/2012 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
First thing that came to my mind, was the line by Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park I believe it was...

Life will find a way

I think it stands to reason, it will indeed, with or without us!

Also makes me think of another of his lines

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with the fact that they could , that you didn't stop to think about whether or not they should"

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1nfiniteLoop

Mutants which are resistant to insect or weed occur all the time, given the nature of random mutation this is a statistical given. More effective control measures against a particular pest only increase the selective pressures that select for this particular mutation within the population. This is the same principle behind the rising antibiotic resistance, once a rare trait but now a great medical concern.

Although you can blame Bt corn for increasing the selective pressures,( for which there are some measures in use to mitigate as much as possible these potential and foreseen consequences) resistance to Bt has developed decades before in Hawaii and Japan it's heavy use in fields. Thus, while organic food advocates might place the blame on the crop, the same adaptations by pests to survive invariably kills the majority of the unadapted population has been occurred in the past to their own pest control methods and will invariably occur multiple times again in the future.

This is the reason why farmers rotate pesticides. Because they've all known about it for decades, it's happened repeatedly throughout history. It is not in any way a unique phenomenon related to biotechnology.

So if this is the case, WHY is Monsanto doing it at all? What's the alterior motive?

And how do we get off Monsanto products? I am no farmer or I would have already scorched my fields. Problem is, I am very young, I am an heiress raised to be rich who lost her fortune, and after my husband (in the same boat as me) had a terrible accident that broke his leg in three pieces and gave him a near fatal hit of septicemia, we lost everything. I am now in the inner city. He is now in prison. He will be home next month, and yippie, we get to start again from scratch (with a record this time, so you can forget getting a job). How can people with very little money avoid Monsanto? With our ghetto bodega food stores that sell nothing but canned vegetables and the only fruit is mangos, bananas, and plantains?

If there was a way to get my entire community off Monstanto I would do it. And down here in the ghetto, people HATE and FEAR the government and their evil works more than anyone else. Let me break all this into layman's terms and pass it around, and help me find a solution, and I promise you I could pull NJ's inner cities off this horrific "food". Poor people want to take action, they (we?) just don't know how or where to begin. Can we even get seeds that are not contaminated? Perhaps community farms? I have been working with the mayor on cleaning up the local parks, it isn't too far fetched that I would next go to him requesting a plot for a community food co-op, and he's up for re-election.

Any advice?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyTwoCrowns

And that's the biggest problem, you know: that the masses don't talk about this, they don't even KNOW about this. Fighting Monsanto means reaching out to people who don't frequent sites like this and finding a way to make them aware and involved. It means developing a plan that people who care just enough to pay attention but not enough to fully commit can follow. Unfortunately, the masses have ALWAYS been easy to control and deceive. The poor masses are conditioned only to care about survival. The rich masses are conditioned to only care about pleasure and consuming. We are a very small minority, and our outrage doesn't even register as a fart on the richter scale of protest. Monsanto doesn't care if 100,000 people gripe about them on internet sites. But if there was a way to reach the masses, to horrify them as we are horrified, and then if there was a relatively easy way for those masses to eat alternative food, well THAT would scare those bastards.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

Seriously! They should be held accountable for there actions. Gah, how many people knew this was happening before EPA or WS said anything. And yet there still creating more mutant insects. Like the bees.. Pretty sure everyone is on the same page on Monsanto, i think people should start fire-bombing those GMO crops
(I kid, i kid) But there really needs to be more of a drastic action, because obviously they don't care about the family-farms or the small farmer.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyTwoCrowns

So if this is the case, WHY is Monsanto doing it at all? What's the alterior motive?

To feed the world by keeping food production in line with population growth? Does humanitarianism count as an ulterior motive?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Monsanto = CODEX ALIMENTARIUS.

And I looked, and behold, a pale horse and his name that sat on him was death, and Monsanto followed with him.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Monstanto reminds me of Umbrella Corp. from the the Resident Evil series. Reality is hidden under the guise of fiction.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Originally posted by Raelsatu
Isn't it about time we completely shut these monsters down & hold some accountable?? Study after study is proving Monsanto to be nothing but a disaster to our planet and its inhabitants..... so what would they have to do to be terminated? Maybe once half the planet is sterile? Even then they'll probably just pay off the "authorities", ignore the plight of humanity while eating their now-rare organic foods.

The greedy elite are like roaches that will never die off.

There's the exact problem: They have their tentacles in the government to the extent that they can ignore and/or neutralize the EPA. They can apparently even influence the judicial branch. Common sense from a few judges would have crushed them long ago, and yet they thrive like their damn invasive crops.

At some point money and power and influence won't be enough. I'm just hoping that time comes before it's too late....

This is no surprise after all the banksters have their hooks in the SEC, BP has their hooks in the EPA so why not them! When it came out that the Corporations were protected under the Constitution and still we did nothing. When there were so many holes in the story of 911 and still we did nothing. When we continually go to war to rob resources and illegal drug cartels but still we did Nothing. When people do nothing against tyranny and oppression then we are just slaves content on being so, no matter how bad things get! We talk about how bad things are but yet do nothing about it! Are we overwhelmed? Afraid? insecure? Or are we just plain lazy?
Well whatever the reason is, it sure as hell makes the outcome seem pretty grim! Goodluck to all my brothers and sisters & God help us!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyTwoCrowns

Food Co-op Initiative, this link may help you with information regarding setting up a local food co-op. Good luck with helping your community, be great to think you could make a difference.

www.cooperativegrocer.coop...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join