It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

'Oil for Food' Barter Trades Begin to Get Around Sanctions on Iran

page: 1
5
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
af.reuters.com...

MONTEVIDEO, March 30 (Reuters) - Uruguay will ask Iran if the South American country can export rice in exchange for oil, the government said on Friday.

Iran used to be a major destination for Uruguayan rice but the impact of U.S. and EU sanctions, aimed at curbing Tehran's nuclear ambitions, has put a strain on financing.

"If Iran is willing to barter oil for rice we will do it and we will take out currency from (the operation)," said Agriculture Minister Tabare Aguerre.

The arrogance of the US never fails to amaze me. How much longer will the World continue bowing to the US? They force other Nations to do their bidding and threaten them if they don't.

Putting an EU-wide embargo on Iran is the few making decisions for the many. It's as if the control of the World and its resources have been decided by the US that it is owned by the US entirely, no matter what Country it lies in.

Pressure from Washington and Brussels, which will slap a EU-wide embargo on Iranian oil from July as part of a campaign against Tehran's nuclear program, has led to a rally in oil prices this year as markets fear supply shortages.

And let's not forget Asia:

US threatens Asian region with penalties for continuing Iran oil purchases:
www.activistpost.com...

Barack Obama is set to impose penalties on India for continuing to purchase oil from sanction-strapped Iran. A vague new U.S. law seeks also to sanction any country that is not willing to reduce its purchase of Iranian oil.

India has stated that they will trade using Gold but some see it as merely an empty defiant stance.

India's Oil Minister has stated that they will continue to purchase from Iran as needed for their growing energy demands, while perhaps turning to gold as a means of sidestepping any attempt at imposing sanctions.


This could be merely a face-saving measure, as other players in the region including China, Japan, and South Korea have taken quick measures to reduce imports following U.S. demands. Once again, the U.S. proves that ally or not, every sovereign nation must cave to Washington's imperial objectives, or else.

An opinion that has been stated many times is seemingly being proven true. The US is attempting to control all oil that is not given willingly to them when asked for. Quite simply, if you have oil and you don't toe the line, America will force the World to black list you.

I can't see the World putting up with this for much longer. I only hope that the downfall of America doesn't put the entire World at war. If the US keeps going on a Global domination track, they will have fewer allies so if enough Countries stand together against them, they just might get the picture.

And yet somehow, I highly doubt it.

Peace



edit on 1-4-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)




posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 

"American officials are quoted as saying that they are worried India may side-step payment restrictions." (at the 10 second mark)

Is it about the oil or the currency used to pay for it? I can't quite work it out.
Maybe that's why they resort to exchange of goods rather than currency. Meddling in any case.



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
What America is doing can be considered Economic terrorism that will ultimately end up hurting the innocent people of Iran.

I hope more nations follow Uruguay, and send food to Iran in exchange for oil.
edit on 4/1/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by jude11
 

"American officials are quoted as saying that they are worried India may side-step payment restrictions." (at the 10 second mark)

Is it about the oil or the currency used to pay for it? I can't quite work it out.
Maybe that's why they resort to exchange of goods rather than currency. Meddling in any case.


That's a good question and I have wondered that myself.

If more Nations turn to alternate forms of payment, the US dollar loses its hold on the Globe. This may be the real issue here. If that dollar isn't out there while we all know the US is broke, what do they have left?

They need the farce of the US dollar because they have nothing else to play with on the World stage.




edit on 1-4-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
A quick scan of wikipedia shows that rice is the only thing they do import as far as food goes.

Iran has attained 90% self-sufficiency in essential agricultural products, although rice production fails to meet domestic demand thereby making substantial imports necessary. In 2007 Iran reached self-sufficiency in wheat production and for the first time became a net wheat exporter.[128] By 2003, a quarter of Iran's non-oil exports were of agricultural products.[129] Major exports in this category include fresh and dried fruits, nuts, animal hides, processed foods, and spices.

Seems like someone doesn't like their success, just like a certain other oil-producing, dollar-shunning country that was recently invaded.
Source
edit on 1/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarification



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
What America is doing can be considered Economic terrorism that will ultimately end up hurting the innocent people of Iran.

I hope more nations follow Uruguay, and send food to Iran in exchange for oil.
edit on 4/1/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)


What America is doing will ultimately hurt the US citizens as well.

And as for the food, I don't think it will work anyways. The US actually believes they have the right to decide who is dangerous as a threat to US interests regardless of proof and therefore give themselves the right to demand how other Countries interact with each other. All in the interest of World Peace of course.

Next on the agenda: "Rice now declared illegal as currency".

It's almost as if they fool themselves into believing their own lies.



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
A quick scan of wikipedia shows that rice is the only thing they do import as far as food goes.

Iran has attained 90% self-sufficiency in essential agricultural products, although rice production fails to meet domestic demand thereby making substantial imports necessary. In 2007 Iran reached self-sufficiency in wheat production and for the first time became a net wheat exporter.[128] By 2003, a quarter of Iran's non-oil exports were of agricultural products.[129] Major exports in this category include fresh and dried fruits, nuts, animal hides, processed foods, and spices.

Seems like someone doesn't like their success, just like a certain other oil-producing, dollar-shunning country that was recently invaded.
Source
edit on 1/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarification


Of course.

If you can survive and prosper with no US influence, you are a threat...to the US.

Even if you just ignore the US, you are a threat...to the US.

Peace



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 

Remember....how the U.S. Economy Goes....so does the rest of the Worlds. The U.S. was literally BANKRUPT before the end of WWII...and how did THAT turn out?

I am not worried about owing Money to China as the Chinese have put themselves in the Vulnerable Possition...not the U.S. Some have suggested that because we owe the Chinese money...this will make China some type of overlord to U.S. actions. In reality it is the exact opposite.

What if China attempted to reclaim Taiwan and the U.S. which has a massive Naval Presence in that region at all times....with Nimitz Class Carrier Groups and a huge number of Nuclear Powered Subs of all types....wipes out the Chinese Invasion Force...as they have the capability to do so and put the U.S. and China in a DEFACTO STATE OF WAR?

What could China do...not much....the U.S. on the other hand could ban all Chinese Goods Imported to the U.S. and it's allies...REFUSE TO MAKE PAYMENTS ON LOANS....and completely halt any Chinese Container shipments from China as well as prevent any incoming Oil shipments to China as well as any air cargo transport.

These acts...which make a WAR between China and the United States near ZERO PROBABILITY.....could only cripple China. The U.S. would flourish....and with the U.S.'s new capability with High Tech. ABM's and New Direct Energy Weapon systems....and China KNOWS THIS....would render any Chinese threat of a Nuclear Attack...just that...a threat.

If anything....China, Russia, the EU and the U.S. need each other more than China needs to reclaim Taiwan or help North Korea...which if any of you read the Wiki Leaks communications between the U.S. and China. China agreed with the U.S....it's LARGEST BY FAR TRADING PARTNER....that North Korea was acting like a SPOILED BRAT CHILD....and that China would force North Korea to tone down it's threats as well as advise it to give up it's Nuclear Ambitions.

The U.S. Economy is hurting yes....but if we go down...so does the World. Split Infinity



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity
 

As pointed out in another thread here with graphs and info to back it up, the US owns most US debts, way more than China which from memory only accounts for something like 7% and is possibly mainly due to international trade to make payments easier.



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
anybody know whats gonna happen if countries against the us sidestep these sanctions will there suddenly be W.M.D's in those countries???



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity
 


I am not worried about owing Money to China as the Chinese have put themselves in the Vulnerable Possition...not the U.S.

I'm not sure how our loans from China came up here, but ...

Maybe you should factor into your conclusion what would be the result if China redirected even a small percentage of its normal US exports to other countries (like Iran and the BRICS nations) who would be willing to deal in currencies other than the dollar and how that would impact the US economy which depends so heavily on imported goods and consumerism to keep it afloat. It would definitely be interesting to see how US consumers would react to not being able to purchase many of the products they have come to expect to find on their store shelves. Oh yeah, they could hurt us.



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver
 

You are approx. correct. I was just pointing out that for a country to sidestep U.S. led sanctions....in the long and short run...is not going to be good for that nation. India wants to export more to the U.S. The U.S. is the largest by far consumer nation. The U.S. is also a Super Power both Militarily and Economicly even with current issues.

For India to sidestep sanctions...would not be in their best interest...especially at a time where there is an OIL GLUT due to fair weather in the U.S. Winter of 2011-2012. Current prices are high due to speculation not supply. There is a huge over supply of Oil and Natural Gas at the moment.

Within 10 to 15 years...the United States will introduce a Game Changer in energy production. It is available now but instantanious release would harm World Economies and all distribution and sales of current transportation and grid systems running on Oil, Coal or Gas.

There has been a breakthrough...for some time...coming from U.S. Military Research in the fields of Super Conductivity, Energy Conservation and Storage and the biggie....Low Temp. Fusion. Remember....the U.S. was flying F-117's directly over Russia and China for years before President Carter...in attempt to show he was not soft on War Preperations against the then Soviet Union...told the World...the U.S. Had Stealth Aircraft. Alot of People are still Pissed Off about this release.

There are plans to build a 50 mile by 50 mile Solar Array in the South West of the United States using State of the Art Solar Collectors which will generate enough energy to supply 7 tenths or 70% of the total U.S. demand for Electricity. This also demands an entire rebuild of our electrical grid...which will supply much needed jobs.

As for Cold Fusion...it is real...and the U.S. has two Medium Temp. Fusion reactors online for experimentation. If and when this tech. is released...the U.S. interest in the Middle East will be a non-factor....as it should be. In the interm....Canada has the Worlds largest deposits of Oil Sand or Tar Sand which both the U.S. and Canada are working on to easily convert to Light Sweet Crude.

One very large energy supply is that the U.S. has the worlds largest supply of Coal. Current experimentation can allow clean burning but CO2 entrapment is still in developmental phases.

When the Middle Eatern Oil supplies are Long Gone....the U.S. and Canada....will be sitting on the Worlds largest remaining energy resourses and technology. Developing nations such as China and India will be very soon...looking to us to help provide them with their energy requirements. Split Infinity



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by frazzle
reply to post by SplitInfinity
 


I am not worried about owing Money to China as the Chinese have put themselves in the Vulnerable Possition...not the U.S.

I'm not sure how our loans from China came up here, but ...

Maybe you should factor into your conclusion what would be the result if China redirected even a small percentage of its normal US exports to other countries (like Iran and the BRICS nations) who would be willing to deal in currencies other than the dollar and how that would impact the US economy which depends so heavily on imported goods and consumerism to keep it afloat. It would definitely be interesting to see how US consumers would react to not being able to purchase many of the products they have come to expect to find on their store shelves. Oh yeah, they could hurt us.


Are you kidding? In the event that cheap Chinese Labor Subsidised Products are not available in the U.S.....it would create a Job Boom the likes that have never been seen in the United States....it could only HELP US!
Split Infinity



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity
 



Are you kidding? In the event that cheap Chinese Labor Subsidised Products are not available in the U.S.....it would create a Job Boom the likes that have never been seen in the United States....it could only HELP US!
Split Infinity


That sounds good, but what about the reasons manufacturers left the US in the first place ~ regulations and high taxes. That hasn't gone away just because they left for friendlier bases of operation. Unless the depreciating value of the US dollar and laws that make being in business in America so difficult are dealt with in a serious manner, people wouldn't buy those higher priced products anyway, they have become addicted to cheap stuff.

Why do we always think we can force other countries to do ~ or not do ~ things against their best interests in order to fix our internal problems? Oh wait, I just remembered why, might makes right.



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity
 

Oil always has been a con. I believe today they just admitted that the recent debacle over supply in the UK was a government attempt to sabotage the union conducting the (legal) strikes. Sad world ain't it? As for fusion, I've long known that there has been an alternative and viable energy source, if only due to the fact that no single government on earth has done a thing to reduce the usage on it. It supplies mucho tax dollars and no one wants to lose that, no matter the cost to human life.



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver
 

I agree...it is a con. We have alternative clean energy...we just need to get rid of the GREED!
Split Infinity



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity
 

Personally I'm hoping the Rossi e-cat will change things. The latest post on his site mentions $10 for a megawatt of electricity. Fingers crossed things change very soon for the whole planet.
It's long been time to break some unnecessary shackles on a basic human need that has been exploited by the few and greedy for so long.
Peace.



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by frazzle

reply to post by SplitInfinity
 



Are you kidding? In the event that cheap Chinese Labor Subsidised Products are not available in the U.S.....it would create a Job Boom the likes that have never been seen in the United States....it could only HELP US!
Split Infinity


That sounds good, but what about the reasons manufacturers left the US in the first place ~ regulations and high taxes. That hasn't gone away just because they left for friendlier bases of operation. Unless the depreciating value of the US dollar and laws that make being in business in America so difficult are dealt with in a serious manner, people wouldn't buy those higher priced products anyway, they have become addicted to cheap stuff.

Why do we always think we can force other countries to do ~ or not do ~ things against their best interests in order to fix our internal problems? Oh wait, I just remembered why, might makes right.

Our basic problems all started with the GREED of a few and the inability to BAN LOBBIESTS.

Right now it is time for something that has ALWAYS lifted the U.S. out of Recessions or Depression or a Flat Line Economy...that being...a release of NEW TECHNOLOGY! The United States...more so than any other nation has the ability and has demonstrated this ability...timt and time again...to introduce a U.S. homegrown tech. that changes the world.

Electric Light, the Telephone, Television, Laser Tech., Nuclear Power, the Personal Computer, the Cell Phone....Hell...the ASSEMBLY LINE!

I personally know but a few bits of things....but these are things that will change entire markets and the way people live. Look at the Internet!

Unfortunatly...much of these discoveries we now need are in the field of ENERGY and was developed under Military Contract. It will take guts and above all LEADERSHIP to force release of this tech....but we have it...and it is time! To leave the U.S. Population dependent on Oil is a travesty. The U.S. has Military Solar Programs that are so far ahead of anyone else out there it is a crime. Never mind Cold Fusion. The release of just one of these things will put things right for not only the U.S. but the world at large. It is time! Split Infinity



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by SplitInfinity
 

Personally I'm hoping the Rossi e-cat will change things. The latest post on his site mentions $10 for a megawatt of electricity. Fingers crossed things change very soon for the whole planet.
It's long been time to break some unnecessary shackles on a basic human need that has been exploited by the few and greedy for so long.
Peace.

You are right...it is greed and in a few cases there are Advanced Clean Energy Programs that could have Military Applications so it is going to be difficult to get the U.S. Military to pony up.

The people I some times work for...are dying for LEADERSHIP! Just someone with the Balls to put the United States back into prosperity for the whole. I have been around the world and in the past I always noticed the difference of how the countries I visited had either the Rich or the Poor. When I was traveling....I always told people that in the U.S....if you worked hard and had the smarts...you could do anything...be anyone...and live happily. We had a Massive Middle Class that compared to other countries was more like an Upper Middle Class.

Now...I see this Middle Class Shrinking....and it Pisses me off! Split Infinity



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity
 

I think I gravitate towards Orwell.

There are 3 kinds of people. Those in power, those that were in power and want it back, and then "us".

Not verbatim but close enough. "Us" just wants to live in peace, harmony and with a reasonable abundance of the things necessary for a happy life. Food, shelter, warmth, love. The other 2 classes use those things to maintain their financial, political and military positions. I don't have an easy answer on how to right the problems but I fear only a violent revolution is the answer and that is something most are not willing to do. Revolutions tend also not to work as they invariably install a dictatorship worse than the one that preceded it, as history apparently shows. Whether that historical reality is correct is also possibly dubious as history is usually written and taught by those that won.

Maybe Gandhi's approach was better, civil disobedience on a mass scale but again, no one is really willing to do that either. It's hard to "fight for your rights" when most have just enough to survive.



new topics

top topics



 
5
<<   2 >>

log in

join