It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by nineix
reply to post by StealthyKat
These clowns are trying to tell you to delete everything. These clowns don't have well over a decade working Corporate infotech addressing whole varieties of different solutions.
Rarely ever does one need to format or totally wipe a computer to resolve issues. Formatting or erasing everything is the answer of the lazy, and/or ignorant.
Having more than one antivirus program installed on your machine can cause lots of problems with performance.
1. Click on Start, then Run, then type 'msconfig', but without quotations. Hit enter. this will bring up the system configuration window.
2. Go to the Startup tab and uncheck everything. You're not deleting anything, just stopping everything from starting on computer start, almost similar to leaving your car running all night in your driveway, just in case you need to drive somewhere. turn these things off. they'll start up automatically when you actually use the programs associated.
3. Apply and restart.
4. go to control panel, add/remove programs, and uninstall all of your antivirus programs, except one.
5. restart as necessary when prompted.
6. update java, flash and shockwave.
7. use Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox. Avoid MS internet Explorer.
Please see if there's any performance improvement and report back.
There's more to be done regarding page file size and some other things.
further, what version of windows are you running?
right-click on the My Computer icon then click Properties. Please tell us the information shown.
ignore anyone that tells you to delete or format anything. they have nothing to lose, while you lose everything.
edit on 1-4-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)
Originally posted by autowrench
reply to post by StealthyKat
This is all pretty confusing. You said you formatted a partition? Which partition? I am thinking you have formatted all of your partitions. My best advice, being as what you said sounds like a virus/trojan, erase the whole HDD, I use Ultimate Boot CD myself. Choose HDD/Wiping, I use CopyWipe a lot, wipe the drive and do a fresh install.
Now might be a good time to think about upgrading to Linux. I use Ubuntu since it's more user friendly, and have to tell you, if I had to go to windows again I wont use one lol,
Originally posted by Druid42
Gosh, people, no one has bothered to ask her to check hoe much system RAM is available. Stealthy, I checked your system specs from the model you listed in the OP, and you should have a 1.6 GHz dualcore, 4gb of RAM, and in the neighborhood of a 650 gb harddrive. Please right click the my computer icon, and see if it reports 4gb of RAM. Since your machine is working, albeit slow, and it's over 3 years old, I believe you are suffering from overheating problems. Handy with a screwdriver? Open it up and check for a clogged cooling fan.
Let's stay with the easy stuff first.
Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by Druid42
I have 4 but it says 2.75 ram usable? I updated all the drivers, and it seemed to help. Another thing is, windows are "overlapping". By that, I mean when I go to a new page, and there is a video, a piece of the page I was on before that will show while it's loading. ugggh. I haven't done anything major.....I'm afraid to because I CAN get online etc, it's just so slow. I think I may just have to take it to someone who knows more than I do after all if nothing I do helps.....