It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Help....Computer Problems!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

These clowns are trying to tell you to delete everything. These clowns don't have well over a decade working Corporate infotech addressing whole varieties of different solutions.

Rarely ever does one need to format or totally wipe a computer to resolve issues. Formatting or erasing everything is the answer of the lazy, and/or ignorant.

Having more than one antivirus program installed on your machine can cause lots of problems with performance.

1. Click on Start, then Run, then type 'msconfig', but without quotations. Hit enter. this will bring up the system configuration window.
2. Go to the Startup tab and uncheck everything. You're not deleting anything, just stopping everything from starting on computer start, almost similar to leaving your car running all night in your driveway, just in case you need to drive somewhere. turn these things off. they'll start up automatically when you actually use the programs associated.
3. Apply and restart.
4. go to control panel, add/remove programs, and uninstall all of your antivirus programs, except one.
5. restart as necessary when prompted.
6. update java, flash and shockwave.
7. use Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox. Avoid MS internet Explorer.

Please see if there's any performance improvement and report back.
There's more to be done regarding page file size and some other things.

further, what version of windows are you running?
right-click on the My Computer icon then click Properties. Please tell us the information shown.

ignore anyone that tells you to delete or format anything. they have nothing to lose, while you lose everything.

edit on 1-4-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

You said you formatted a partition

No...I didn't format the partition. I'm sorry if it's confusing....I'm multi tasking. No, I used a computer cleaer, and it took all the emachine recovery links off. I see nothing of the emachine links etc that were on my desktop, etc. So I cannot restore my computer to factory settings. I think the data is on my d drive because it's over halfway full and I have never touched it. But I can't access it, and when I click on "open" it says it's empty (even though the graph shows it full and says 31.8 mb free of 99.9mb.....

So, since I could do nothing else, I used my windows installation disc, and reinstalled windows. I did nothing to the computer other than system cleaners, then reinstalled windows. I am beginning to think the "registry cleaner" and system cleaner" is the culprit....possible

I hope I explained it better.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Thanks! I'll try that. I only have one antivirus. I installed different ones ( installed one at a time, then deleted before I tried another) I did that just to see if they all said the same thing...they did...no problems. I just installed a new copy of windows, and the only things I have installed are

windows
java
flash player
Avast anti virus free

a couple of pictures (maybe 4)

That's it.

I'll try what you suggested.....it takes so long, but I'll be back asap (it might take a while:lol

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

clowns? way to be mature
there have been MANY warnings that deleting partitions or reformatting will destroy data
OP is only concerned with the original emachines recovery data which would be on the d:\

to the OP, if you did not format your c:\ during the windows installation then there would be files that were there before the reinstall still remaining on your c:\

since you can access your data that is stored on the c:\ I would back it up and you won't have to worry about data loss

and yes as nineix said, formatting is for the lazy and not technically savvy
honestly, formatting is much easier than finding the culprit unless you have the technical knowledge and alot of times, ALOT of time . . .

i'm sure nineix is capable of assisting you without reformatting but doing so on a forum such as this may be undesirable to you . . your pick!!

By the way, your emachines data will be stored on d:\ -- if it's recoverable or not without the recovery cd is the question

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lurker007

yes, clown is an accurate description of anyone that knows just enough to be dangerous in offering the format solution even with warnings, without offering OTHER alternatives.

If you are going to play the format game, at the very least offer just one other alternative instead of Format.

Offering format, no matter how much you give warning about it, is indeed a circus clown act if no other alternative is offered, since only one solution is being offered.

As for the rest, yes, doing anything PROPERLY is going to take time.
Yes, formatting the system to a zero state with naked fresh windows installation can resolve some issues, but, it does indeed lose everything, and can cause problems its own if windows does not recognize some hardware on native installation. this can be troublesome if the hardware not recognized happens to be the NIC.

There should still be a variaty of other options available, starting with cleaning up the startup group, if there's anything to clean up, checking default performance options and page file sizes. going down the list of different possibilities and check each one.

Edit: I'll be away from keyboard for an hour. I will, however, be back if you're patient. There are also, if interested, remote assistance options where you can let someone that knows what they're doing remote control your computer.
That, of course, is up to you.
Everything can be worked out with enough time and patience, non-destructively, without formatting.

Also, if there is some hardware culpability at play, no amount of poking at the software side of things is going to fix hardware.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

ok well thanks for clarifying -- I did offer other alternatives before formatting

now that it has become clear the OP has nothing on the c:\ it would be much easier for the OP to format -- that will work or prove h/w failure

most non-techies would prefer to just format instead of going through with a fine tooth comb to troubleshoot and possibly formatting still, especially when theres "like four" pics to save

and about the NIC, it could be but I doubt it
speed test looked fast enough for the NIC to be functioning . . at least well enough to stream
OP also indicated the problems persisted through many tasks, including a screen capture program
doesn't sound much like a NIC to me

wouldn't the pagefile size be reset to default after windows install? (honest question)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix
reply to post by lurker007

There are also, if interested, remote assistance options where you can let someone that knows what they're doing remote control your computer.
That, of course, is up to you.

great solution -- especially if not hindered by download/upload

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Thank you...but please, let's not insult anyone. I very much appreciate yours, and all other posters advice.
I'll post to let everyone know what happens, if I don't have a catastrophy haha! Thanks again!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'm going to call my ISP tomorrow too......ok...I'm going to try some of these things, and I'll check back as I can....but if anyone thinks of anything else, please post..... Thanks to all!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

further, what version of windows are you running?

Windows 7....I was using internet explorer....is it slower?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I think this is worth a shot also
Download this tool then
Go to start>run>msconfig>boot then check the start windows in safemode with networking

Restart your computer and log on to the admin account run your browser and see how the internet connection(just make a note about it and tell us im curious) is and run that scan and see how that works out. Its a very good tool that often picks up what the other expensive AV programs miss. so if it picks up a virus will tell you exactly what to do to get rid of it
Good luck
-Bix

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Well, good luck to you, hope you get it fixed! I work on the pesky critters, and know how cranky they can be sometimes. It makes me happy to see someone trying to fix their PC all by themselves. You can learn a great deal about fixing computer problem on the computer.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
I think this is worth a shot also
Download this tool then
Go to start>run>msconfig>boot then check the start windows in safemode with networking

Restart your computer and log on to the admin account run your browser and see how the internet connection(just make a note about it and tell us im curious) is and run that scan and see how that works out. Its a very good tool that often picks up what the other expensive AV programs miss. so if it picks up a virus will tell you exactly what to do to get rid of it
Good luck
-Bix

I endorse this solution. It's worth a try.

Edit: in answer to question about internet Explorer, there's a number of valid reasons most techs call Internet Explorer "Internet Explode-er".
Other internet browsers like Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox are recommended. There are also others, but, Chrome and Firefox are the top 2 alternatives to IE.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

as do I . . . can't believe I let safe-mode with networking slip my mind

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by lurker007
reply to post by nineix

ok well thanks for clarifying -- I did offer other alternatives before formatting

now that it has become clear the OP has nothing on the c:\ it would be much easier for the OP to format -- that will work or prove h/w failure

most non-techies would prefer to just format instead of going through with a fine tooth comb to troubleshoot and possibly formatting still, especially when theres "like four" pics to save

and about the NIC, it could be but I doubt it
speed test looked fast enough for the NIC to be functioning . . at least well enough to stream
OP also indicated the problems persisted through many tasks, including a screen capture program
doesn't sound much like a NIC to me

wouldn't the pagefile size be reset to default after windows install? (honest question)

Not necessarily.
From what I'm gathering, it seems Op has reinstalled Windows over top of existing installation.
This erases pretty much nothing, and is only partially successful in many cases, and in others can complicate issues as well.

There may still be a boat load of stuff still resident on the C:\ partition.
Further, if there's icky code tainting the MBR, files still left over may also be active, especially if they are of the virus/torjan/worm/malware variety.

Additionally, for performace settings, at least during troubleshooting, Op can right-click on My Computer, click properties, then in the lower left corner click Performance Information and Tools, then on the next window choose Adjust the Appearance and Performance of Windows, and then, from there, in the next window, choose Adjust for Best Performance, apply and exit.
This frees up some system resources, though the GUI won't be as 'pretty' as default settings. this is non destructive and can be customized later to user preference.

Of course, allowing remote assistance with someone that can work through several options would also be worthwhile.

In regards to Kaspersy, please ensure you update the virus definitions before starting in safe mode and running a scan.
Updating virus definitions on any antivirus program before running a scan is important.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Wipeing the drive with a new partition is what you may need to do...but, here is a question...is the D: drive a partition on the same harddrive? if it is, your restore information is on the d-drive most likely,

Emachines come with two different recovery programs

One is a hard drive recovery and the other is disk based recovery

if you system is a disk based recovery you will lose all your data on your pc

Or if it a hard drive recovery
Restart your computer.
Press F11 repeatedly when the message "Press F11 to start recovery" is displayed.
The recovery will load and display a menu of options:

Full System Restore (with Backup): This options will move all Hard Disk contents to the "c:My Backup" directory and install a new copy of Windows. This option preserves your existing data files, however all applications and settings will need to be reinstalled. This option requires 4GB of free Hard Disk space for the new OS.

Alway suggest backing up your data before you do any recovery

Sounds like you need to do the complete drive recovery, which should restore your machine back to what it was when new.

hope this helps
edit on 4/1/2012 by Shdak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I ran the Kapersky thing....I may have a virus or been hacked?

From the report:

Security: anonymous user access is enabled

also said remote sharing is enabled when I did not enable it.

There were 5 "suspicious" items.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

I haven't tried that and didn't even know about it. I'll check it....thank you!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I'm turning in for the evening. good luck to you!!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
I ran the Kapersky thing....I may have a virus or been hacked?

From the report:

Security: anonymous user access is enabled

also said remote sharing is enabled when I did not enable it.

There were 5 "suspicious" items.

did it not give you any options to clean, fix or disinfect ?

And i forgot to mention if you could save the report and post a copy here (just make sure theres no sensitive info in the report, i don't think there should be)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join