It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Help....Computer Problems!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Actually, it's probably the computer OWNER LOL....I have an *cough cough* emachine model ET1331G. It's about 3 years old. I made the mistake of trying to *clean" my computer because it was running so slow (using advanced system care). Now, all the "Emachine" data is gone, and so I cannot restore it to factory condition, which is what I probably need to do. I can't buy the disc right now. Anyway, I did have a windows installation disc, so I installed a fresh copy of windows. STILL did not help. I deleted all old copies of windows, cookies, blah blah. I searched online for solutions and tried everything I could find. Which brings me here.I am hoping someone knows what I can do....I can't watch videos because it just keeps buffering (I can but it takes FOREVER)....web pages load excruciatingly slow. I checked installed programs, and all I have the basics (maybe 4 things)... I have tried several antivirus programs, and they all scanned clean. I am afraid to get too involved, as my knowledge is limited, and I don't want to do something wrong.....but I am so beyond aggravated, I am ready to try. I can't afford to put it in the shop right now.
Please, does anyone know what could cause this, and a solution?
edit on 4/1/2012 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
You say u reinstaled windows??
If you can do that then do it again but look for the option to delete the partition, this will wipe the drive, it will then let you make a new partition and continue with the install.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

go to speedtest.net and tell me what your speeds are (site loads a black/blue webpage, press the 'begin test' button)

chances are at this point that its NOT your computer, i think its internet related. All of the things you mentioned are using it at the time, so check it out. What kind of service are you paying for?

btw, im a telecommuncations network technician. So i know the signs

edit on 1/4/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
You say u reinstaled windows??
If you can do that then do it again but look for the option to delete the partition, this will wipe the drive, it will then let you make a new partition and continue with the install.

Yup, do this. But be warned, you will lose everything.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

It installed fine....if I deleted the "d" drive, would that not remove critical files? I am so afraid to make it worse....see i told you I know nothing about it
The c drive has barely anything, but the d drive is pretty full. I don't really download a lot of things....

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

if the partition was not formatted then it could still be the file system
if it was formatted, I would test the connection as AzureSky suggested

if you repartitioned the hard drive then a format was performed prior to the windows installation
edit on 1-4-2012 by lurker007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

OK will do...and thanks...just to give you a star took 12 seconds. Be back as soon as possible.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
if it is a fresh copy of windows and still the same problems, then it is hardware.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by staple
if it is a fresh copy of windows and still the same problems, then it is hardware.

If it is not the internet, then it is hardware.
Hopefully its just the internet, it would be less costly then having to replace hardware

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

the C:\ is where your windows would be located, unless changed from the default . . check and see if c:\windows is located on your c: drive

if it is, re-run the installation but format/repartition the c:\

if it's not located there and its d:\windows then you reinstalled correctly

link   
reply to post by CaPpedDoG

Do you mean format the d drive? I am so afraid I will lose something importanat and not recover. At least now it works, but just so SLOW. Thanks for the help.....be patient, I know nothing about all this.

link   
I bet money its a virus.

The method I mentioned WILL WIPE THE WHOLE DRIVE thats why I suggested it, you would know for sure you have a virus free machine.

Which drive is your windows on? C or D

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

You say you reinstalled windows and it did not help. Did not help what? A slow internet connection?
Before you repartion your drive do you have photos and things you want to keep? You still may be able to pull them off the drive with a drive data restorer program.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by CaPpedDoG

Do you mean format the d drive? I am so afraid I will lose something importanat and not recover. At least now it works, but just so SLOW. Thanks for the help.....be patient, I know nothing about all this.

Is it just the web browser that is doing it?

Or does opening a program take a long time as well? (longer than normal?)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I'll have to check. I'm going to do the speed test and I'll be back. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Try back up and restore and only keep one anti virus running...go into programs and block every thing from running...Im not to sure what else to say...good luck

disk clean up with a defrag and run a scan...sometimes I use "speed it up for free"

edit on 1-4-2012 by SarnholeOntarable because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Try buying a new HardDrive. I had a similar problem with my first computer. On the first Windows install (Windows ME
) I could play all sorts of games on it (like Swat 3, Hitman, etc.), and then my father had an IT guy from work tinker with it and install Quake 3 on it which promptly caused it to crash, unable to boot as well. After we reinstalled ME, it never seemed to work as well as that first installation (as a matter of fact, it couldn't even play AVI files at that point, which aggravated the hell out of me, but I digress). So anyways....2 years later I upgraded to a WD Caviar Black 500 gig drive and the computer was back to it's old spritely self. Turns out that particular machine shipped with a bunk HD. Being that SATA hard drives are so cheap now (the Caviar Black I bought only ran me back 60 bucks for 500 gigs, which is a steal in my book, although sadly enough, the PATA (ribbon cable) version of the drive actually costs more for some reason, even though it's an older architecture)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by lurker007

I do see windows on c....and the d drive is over 2 thireds full, but when I click on it, it says it's empty

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Simply re-installing windows will NOT remove a virus, you must wipe the drive first.
If you have data you dont want to lose ignore my method. But it is probably the easiest method.
Boot from windows cd..wait for options...choose delete partition...choose rebuild partition...press go to continue.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

hold down the alt-control-del button at the same time and bring up the task manager and see which programs are choking your computer , or if its your browser check your internet option settings

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join