It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid to buzz Earth Sunday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Hm, this is the latest in a string of asteroid fly-by's apparently, and without much coverage. could this be a prelude to a "big one"?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------

Asteroid to buzz Earth Sunday
Just in time for April Fools' Day, but it's no joke and is size of passenger jet

An asteroid the size of a passenger jet will zoom close by Earth on Sunday just in time for April Fools' Day, but it has no chance of hitting the Earth, NASA says.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

...and if it did make impact...I would think most of it would disintegrate upon it's entry in the atmosphere and anything that did make it through would probably make a pretty neat little fizzly splash in the ocean.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Perhaps it is just me(as I haven't really done any digging into the subject) but it does seem that we are detecting a larger number of these NEOs just short of their fly-by times. Have we just been missing them due to insufficient detection? Or maybe there are more objects being directed towards the Earth?

I honestly know nothing of the subject, just looking for an explanation of sorts.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I need a picture to confirm this "story," more simply, -an animation, as posted by MSNBC, will not cut it as definitive proof of such object. I could add an asteroid to their program (no proof needed) and have it pass as real, even if its not. People buy into "doomsday scenario" all too easily in this day of age.

Any independant skywatchers care to post a picture of this "passenger jet sized" asteroid flying by Terra? As my kitten says, "prove it!" ...a NASA "animation" isn't proof.... simulation doesn't mean proof.

ETA: Further examination into links provided doesn't tell much more other than a red object. It could be close, it could a 50 AU away...

Happy April Fool's?
edit on 1-4-2012 by FearEater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
yeah its there 96,000 miles from earth

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DisasterButton

Have you seen the movie Armageddon? There is a line by Billy Bob Thorton who plays Dan Truman from NASA:

President: What is this thing?
Truman: It's an asteroid, sir.
President: How big are we talking?
Scientist: Sir, our best estimate is 97.6 billion-
Truman: It's the size of Texas, Mr. President.
President: Dan, we didn't see this thing coming?
Truman: Well, our object collision budget's about a million dollars a year. That allows us to track about three percent of the sky, and begging your pardon sir, but it's a big-ass sky.
Gen. Kimsey: And the ones this morning?
Truman: Uh, those were nothing. Those were the size of basketballs and Volkswagons, things like that.

Note the line in bold

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisasterButton
reply to post by CB328

Perhaps it is just me(as I haven't really done any digging into the subject) but it does seem that we are detecting a larger number of these NEOs just short of their fly-by times. Have we just been missing them due to insufficient detection? Or maybe there are more objects being directed towards the Earth?

Astronomers are detecting NEO's all the time......every so often one of them will hit Earth.

One was detected in 2006, barely 24 hours before it struck the desert in Nevada.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

That is the same animation program that was provided courtesy of MSNBC link above.
Same program with comet Elenin, remember? ...And man was that bad boy a disaster.....

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Hey people reports all over New Zealand of asteroid sightings. Will try find a link.
Second

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FearEater
reply to post by Char-Lee

That is the same animation program that was provided courtesy of MSNBC link above.
Same program with comet Elenin, remember? ...And man was that bad boy a disaster.....

Just wanted to show the legit source for the asteroid, some did ask.

new topics

top topics

join