It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'We can bring the government down': Truckers vow to halt Britain's traffic in support of striking

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
reply to post by something wicked

As I have said before.. None of the 3 parties listen to us.. They are a self serving entity that serves a higher master and not the country..

This is a real opportunity to wipe the slate clean....

We owe it to our kids to secure them a free future where they have a fairer deal than us..

Where will it wipe the slate clean? Do you think this union is acting in YOUR interest or their own? I have been f###ked up by a major union agreeing my pension can effectively be made worthless and why? It wasn't in their public interest to do otherwise. You are sadly naive, but I hope you will learn that the union does not care about you unless you are paying into their pot and even then, your few pounds a week isn't enough to change their opinion.

I've yet to hear Labour agree with the strike, so that means the unions will effectively lose even more of their credibility for acting in a way that does not benefit the public, but if you are the type (not saying you are) that is more in favour of mob rule, oooh, let's say rioting to nick a new telly, then fair play to you, you take the risk. If you think that amounts to a new order..... no, it doesn't.
edit on 2-4-2012 by something wicked because: typo

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dareamus
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I'm well up for this kind of strike action, for the fact is one or two weeks of every citizen saying # it to the system would destroy any hope of complete control, like the one they hold over us at the moment. they would loose potentially billions of pounds and they wouldn't let that happen, they would much rather bow then have there money taken, which is a direct role reversal in my opinion.

It only takes one date to set it in motion and this way is better than marching coz on the streets they will have barriers and police which could cause people to get angry and start trouble..... the way i suggested can be done easily from home.... ok, you wont get every single worker to do this but a good lot will i am sure of it....

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I have been suggesting this for many years. The fight has gone out of the population because they see a fight as having to take up arms. Its not, it is the exact opposite, all it takes is the word "No". No to working to raise them money. No to violence on the street. No to paying absurd commodoty prices. No to living a self chosen lie that is self perpetuating and will ensnare our kids and grandkids for ever...Lets be the generation that said "No".

edit on 2-4-2012 by captiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

In the US we're getting hit hard as well. They recently closed a refinery that supplied 20% of the oil to the eastern US. They being the owners of the company and the reason given being that it wasn't profitable, they had lost money 8 of the last 10 quarters. The Obama administration also blocked the full construction of the new Keystone oil pipeline, which isn't going help prices much either. Its like a circus; the private sector and the gov't are in a constant state of cock-blocking each each other and it only hurts the citizens / customers.

Refinery links:
ConocoPhillips extends permanent refinery shutdown deadline: Report

Sunoco to sell or close its refineries in Philadelphia, Marcus Hook

Keystone Pipeline links:
State Dept. Blocks Keystone Pipeline Project

Chicago Tribune: Misguided Obama blocks Keystone pipeline

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

People power in the UK... I think the most tolerant nation on earth has just had enough...

God help them at westminster lol

Hit the nail on the head their, Craig.. A pissed of Englishman is something else entirely, mainly because it takes so much to get him there that you simply shouldn't push so hard to find out.

The idiocy of the "panic buying" aside, the cost of fuel is just unbearable in the long run. There are guys who I work with on £50-60k a year that can't afford to travel to work any more. We're only talking distances of 50-75 miles and moving closer isn't an option due to the House prices round this way, which is another thing that vexes me no end.

And why does fuel cost so much? The 80 odd % of the price at the pump goes to HM Treasury...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

A drop in prices would actually help the economy and get us moving again... However... The so called clever people in charge do not seem to think so..

Again, spot on. Why oh why, when the economy is in the doldrums did they push VAT from 17.5% to 20%? Surely a VAT cut would boost the economy? But what do I know....

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I say we do it, the problem I have with starting it is that I'm not too comfortable with being classed a terrorist which will be the spin they put on it. I would however like to suggest a date and with it approaching I couldn't find a better fit then July the 4th, here in England it isn't a bank holiday and therefore it should work just as well as any day.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360

Originally posted by DaTroof
reply to post by EvanB

Simple solution: Arrest truckers, move trucks.

Disruptive strikes will never gain my support, no matter the cause.

Looking at your posting history, I'm wondering what you're even doing on this website. There's no doubt about the fact that you're pro-government, anti-freedom for citizens, and you fully support every controversial move the government makes, for whatever reason that may be. I can't think of any other reason other than you work for them. But that doesn't seem likely either because you're making it way too obvious by your posts, so this is a mystery indeed.

I 2nd that. I believe you hit nail squarely on the head!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The truckers needs to cut the arteries of the country...
Block these motorways:-
M6
M60
M5
M40
M25
M1
M74
Blocking these motorways will bring the country to a standstill.
2 days of that and they will get the attention of everyone..

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by YipMan
i generally stay away from political debates but this whole shamble last week and this really needs public outcry and serious public action

And this attitude is why we get the Governments we do, because people don't generally give two craps until something impacts them, by which time it is usually too late. Until that time, you get the "politics is boring" argument why we barely manage to get more than 60% of people out to vote.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

People power in the UK... I think the most tolerant nation on earth has just had enough...

Hit the nail on the head their, Craig.. A pissed of Englishman is something else entirely, mainly because it takes so much to get him there that you simply shouldn't push so hard to find out.

The idiocy of the "panic buying" aside, the cost of fuel is just unbearable in the long run. There are guys who I work with on £50-60k a year that can't afford to travel to work any more. We're only talking distances of 50-75 miles and moving closer isn't an option due to the House prices round this way, which is another thing that vexes me no end.

And why does fuel cost so much? The 80 odd % of the price at the pump goes to HM Treasury...

£50-£60k a year! I make £10k if that! not only that but I am only allowed to get housing benefit, i cant income support or job seekers because I work over 16 hours but i cant get working tax credit because I'm only 24 so i basicallt have to live off £100 a week that's food electric gas internet and everything else.. and they are struggling to drive to work! sweet mercy please give me there charity number and ill donate...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by YipMan

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat
reply to post by YipMan

"where will all this madness end with the lib con goverment?"

Well it probably won't end really . The people 'choose' another government and a whole other agenda starts again. The belief that the different political parties are actually different is a mistaken one IMO.

sadly thats more than the truth
i mentioned on a post only yesterday it needs a common man with huge public backing to make any change for us regular people
but as was pointed out in a reply to my statement and very true the reply was too

if a common man had enough public backing the powers that be would ensure that man never made it into parliment to implement any changes

i generally stay away from political debates but this whole shamble last week and this really needs public outcry and serious public action

It almost sounds as though you are describing Ron Paul!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Actually trying to point out their patheticness and how much straws they clutching at..

The DM is a tory newspaper, we have a "tory" government, so their own rag is pointing them out as muppets..

The Daily Fail is not a Tory paper. They pander to the white-supremacist, homophobic, islamophobic, xenophobic, knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, idiots of this country. Those idiots are often right-wing, but the majority of them are so ignorant they don't actually know what a political opinion is.

They give a crap about politics when the price of fuel or beer goes up, or when a paper like the Daily Fail tells them there are ten million more "foreigners" in this country than there actually are, or that people in Europe want all Bananas to be straight.
At all other times you could ask them their opinion about the Euro or China's record on Human Rights and they'd grunt and call you queer for using clever words they don't understand.

And the people who quote the Daily Fail, or link to that trash, are just as bad as the people who buy it, and read it, and believe the crap they come out with.

For what it's worth, I would support a strike, and a truckers blockade too, and I long for this government to go. But I will not believe anything reported by a paper that I would only every buy if it was cheaper than toilet paper.

edit on 2-4-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I'm worried that they peak too early. With the Royal Jubilee and the Olympics coming up, bringing the country to a standstill in *April* would be a downright sin! And with the likes of Cameron and Maude doing their propaganda work for them, along with just about any source of media that there is, with a bit of finesse they could probably keep this state of jitteriness going right through the summer.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by lioninthenorth
Well the NHS and emergency services in general have their own fuel reserves as part of their emergency planning policies, so the ambulance will always have plenty of fuel however, I guess the drivers need to be able to physically get into work to drive the ambulances... Not sure what they have in place for that?

Well, I can say that the company I work for provides "critical national infrastructure" and we have contingencies for both our field force (fuel reserves/personnel deployment) but also our operational staff as well. During the snow, we block booked a hotel and housed critical staff in there.

Unfortunately, despite being "critical", I live too close and not only missed out on the company sponsored piss up in the hotel every night, but also had to walk 3 miles through the snow to get home

Anyhoo, I would imagine that the NHS would do the same...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Dareamus

I think you misconstrued what I was saying..

I wasn't trying to plea for charity for the guys, but trying to illustrate a point that when someone on that kind of money struggles to fill the tank, what about the rest of us?

Well, I say "us", but I don't actually drive...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dareamus

Originally posted by stumason

£50-£60k a year! I make £10k if that! not only that but I am only allowed to get housing benefit, i cant income support or job seekers because I work over 16 hours but i cant get working tax credit because I'm only 24 so i basicallt have to live off £100 a week that's food electric gas internet and everything else.. and they are struggling to drive to work! sweet mercy please give me there charity number and ill donate...

And how much do you think the union leader makes? Errrm, £100K plus. So, make the guy rich for messing up even further the situation, don't worry, he will make sure his pension is protected, he may even end up a peer (although he will say he only accepted it for his wifes sake). Some people need to driveas part of their job, if you don't, then you don't, there is no judgement there as you aren't comparing like for like.

Personally this fetish with cars is something I find a joke, would rather have good public transport but most people want their own box. By all means, support a union where the leader may earn more than 10 times what you do and also exploit every tax rule they can..... that is your choice.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Just to keep the heat on Maude a little

Plenty of space for a jerry can, Mr Maude? Minister who sparked fuel panic puts £1.5m mansion on market

With its elegantly landscaped gardens, butler’s pantry and tennis court, there is certainly plenty of space on this 12-acre estate to store a spare jerry can or two.

This is the £1.5 million country pile being sold by Tory minister Francis Maude, who sparked panic last week by urging motorists to hoard petrol to avoid running out – and instead prematurely ensured the fuel pumps ran dry

I bet he uses more than a jerry can or 2 about that pile

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Actually trying to point out their patheticness and how much straws they clutching at..

The DM is a tory newspaper, we have a "tory" government, so their own rag is pointing them out as muppets..

The Daily Fail is not a Tory paper. They pander to the white-supremacist, homophobic, islamophobic, xenophobic, knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, idiots of this country. Those idiots are often right-wing, but the majority of them are so ignorant they don't actually know what a political opinion is.

They give a crap about politics when the price of fuel or beer goes up, or when a paper like the Daily Fail tells them there are ten million more "foreigners" in this country than there actually are, or that people in Europe want all Bananas to be straight.
At all other times you could ask them their opinion about the Euro or China's record on Human Rights and they'd grunt and call you queer for using clever words they don't understand.

And the people who quote the Daily Fail, or link to that trash, are just as bad as the people who buy it, and read it, and believe the crap they come out with.

For what it's worth, I would support a strike, and a truckers blockade too, and I long for this government to go. But I will not believe anything reported by a paper that I would only every buy if it was cheaper than toilet paper.

edit on 2-4-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

To be fair though, their sports reporting is probably amongst the best

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ukWolf
Just to keep the heat on Maude a little

Plenty of space for a jerry can, Mr Maude? Minister who sparked fuel panic puts £1.5m mansion on market

With its elegantly landscaped gardens, butler’s pantry and tennis court, there is certainly plenty of space on this 12-acre estate to store a spare jerry can or two.

This is the £1.5 million country pile being sold by Tory minister Francis Maude, who sparked panic last week by urging motorists to hoard petrol to avoid running out – and instead prematurely ensured the fuel pumps ran dry

I bet he uses more than a jerry can or 2 about that pile

Your point being? Are you suggesting a minister cannot be independently wealthy? Why not? Are either of the Millibands (yes) are many of the labour cabinet or back benchers (yes) so apart from qouting a very strange column in the Mail, do you have any actual comment yourself?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join