It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can an object approaching the South Pole be hidden from prying eyes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

Does the distribution of people really matter? The issue is not whether the general population lives there, but whether or not people that look up live there.

There are plenty of amateur and professional astronomers that observe from both hemispheres. Plenty of people live in Australia, Chile, Argentina, New Zealand, South Africa and other places that observe the southern skies.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Its not called the South Pole, no one calls it that except uneducated Americans. Its called Antarctica.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Actually, you are quite wrong. The place I am talking about is the South Pole. It happens to fall in the continent of Antarctica. I am not referring to the continent. I am referring to a position on the Earth.

If you read the thread please understand that the issue has to do with the Earth's axis and not a land mass.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u

Originally posted by chr0naut

They probably don't know about the European Southern Observatory or the Australian National Telescope/Compact Array and the soon to be completed Square Kilometer Array, not to mention major observatories in every state and the thousands of amateur astronomers from the Southern latitudes.

The people who believe in stealth planet-spaceships/dwarf stars have not necessarily got the education, experience or intelligence to realize that such things are highly unlikely.

edit on 2/4/2012 by chr0naut because: too many 't's in latittttttttttttttttudes!

No such thing as a dwarf star? Interesting.

No such thing as a stealthy dwarf star.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by solitudeandme
reply to post by chr0naut

I've not replied before, so unsure if this will appear properly...
I have no doubt that the sky from both poles are equally visible to all, and personally I don't think we can be sneaked up on, 'but' if an incoming object can interfere with satellites, then the technology that observatories need to use to watch for these objects may fail, enabling thus object to appear before we have a chance to observe it.
As for the holes at the poles, I saw a link yesterday, not sure where, that claimed because of the warmth around the edges of the holes(from the inner earth), there was a fifty mile radius of greenery and life, if there were holes, someone would have gotten close enough to study them, I'm sure.

Welcome to ATS.

While there are increasing numbers of space based astronomical instruments, they are still outnumbered by Earth bound observatories.

Also, if there were significant disruption to satellites, I would think that would be an indicator that something is happening 'out there'.

As for a hollow Earth, it may be that there are caves that go quite deep, but there isn't any indication of 50 mile diameter patch of greenery at either pole, or a visible hole, and the mass of the Earth that causes our gravity does not seem to leave much room for a hollow Earth.

Another issue with a hollow Earth is that vulcanism, plate tectonics and seismological surveys would indicate a significant hot and fluid core and nobody can suggest a valid theory for how such a hollow could exist or be maintained.

Thank you for your input to the discussion.

edit on 2/4/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Seismic evidence shows a solid Earth. If there were a void inside of the Earth, then the signals would not be able to pass through the Earth as they do.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I must admit to being somewhat surprised by a couple of replies to this posting.

One seemed to question there being enough land at the Noth Pole to support a telescope.

If they would bother to look at a map they would find a few fair sized islands close to this area. Any of them should be large enough for such usage.

Another would have us think if the surface of the ocean were frozen over, it would keep the rest of the water from flowing into the "center ". If it were frozen solid our submarines would not be able to pass beneith the "polar ice cap.

The surface ice is actually fresh water in the from of frost and snow. Sea water will freeze, but it must be much colder than the surface ice and is also warmed by currrents which flow through the area. Some sea spray will freeze due to it's exposure to the air, but the sea itself will remain liquid.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by hdutton

The northern most land is an island a little over 6 degrees away from the North Pole of the Earth. That's close to the distance of Washington DC to Montreal. It's not the same as the SPT which is at the South Pole.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Another perspective could be from the actual orbiting planets; our solar system (planet bodies) bob up and down the equatorial plane respective to the sun's axis...

If it is logical to theorize using this formula, any celestial body entering our system has to be bound by the gravity of our sun and therefore share the same axis/equatorial plane. Providing it is lighter than our sun, and can therefore be seen by the light it emits...

I don't see it as entering our solar system, but our system getting swallowed-up by it; the gas cloud/fluff.

The polarity of our gravity draws energy to the south pole where it is emitted out to space, then recycled back through the north pole, or opposite? I'm no scientist with any kind of a degree; but if our gravity field gets depleted as a result of this fluffy cloud and it's heat signature finds a path along the lines of our G-field and back into our atmosphere, that's a face melter in my book.

Are magnetic fields penetrable? We already know that we can reverse polarities...so what gives if this cloud is the catalyst for such an event? What if Betelgeuse goes super-nova?

What if what if what if?

I should've had the maidens feed me olives...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I must admit I may have been expecting a little much in thinking an observation would necessarily have to be exactly perpindicular to the surrounding earth's surface in order to be validated as looking at the sky above, or below, the south pole; or the north, for that matter.

I would think most astronomical telescopes could be moved to adjust for 6 degrees; not being an astronimer I have to admit not knowing the capability of such instriments.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by luxordelphi

Even with all of these constraints i.e. 90% of the world's population in the northern hemisphere, 2 million people in the Arctic as compared to a sparse population of government employees in Antarctica - there are a lot of videos of objects on You Tube and a lot of pictures of objects on the web from New Zealand and Australia.

Yes, but my point was about the South Pole versus the North Pole, not the Antarctic versus the Arctic.

Also, we have our fair share of cranks and crackpots down here.

Not all of them are 'Government employees' you know. There are many researchers as well. But I get it, you don't trust the government employees.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

I'm glad to see over the past week more and more members aware and talking back and forth about the "fluff". I have been researching it for a while now. I have a lot of links and will eventually create a thread with the information I have collected thus far.

One thing I am waiting on is a book. I am trying to get my hands on a book by Viola Pettit Neal and the title is, "Through the Curtain". It is out of print and one of the women who wrote it (Viola) held a PHD in the 60's and if I'm not mistaken worked with Tesla. She was like Edgar Cayce when it came to the dream state. Her book was published in I think 1981. It is out of print and you can buy it from Amazon if you want to pay anywhere from 165 on up to 1300.00!!!

She spoke of this "cloud" in our Solar System and its relation to the Sun and the Earth. She spoke of an energy wave that will transform life forms on Earth including but not limited to, plants. In her book I have heard there is not a lot of "doom and gloom". Some people call it ascension, renewing and a shift. Viola calls it a light energy. New forms of energy have been found in recent times..... I guess we just sit back and wait and see. Anyway....according to Viola this "cloud" will not only affect the Earth but all bodies in the Solar System and for this reason she believes Venus to be so bright. She says that Venus is so bright because it has already been hit with this type of new energy. We will either be able to withstand this energy or we won't. For those of us that can and have an understanding of "it" then we will be able to quickly have the veil lifted and be able to see more clearly. So she says.... I really want this book so I may incorporate it with the rest of the information I have saved.

I for one do not believe there could be a body hiding in the Solar System unless maybe it were behind the Sun. Even then, we would feel the energy from such a body, I would think....but who knows. I don't know for sure but I am assuming if anything is incoming... I am leaning toward an energy that will transform life.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hdutton

The issue I am investigating is why people think that an object headed directly towards the South Pole can only be seen from the South Pole.

I agree with what you are stating about observability, but the issue is why others believe otherwise.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

If it is logical to theorize using this formula, any celestial body entering our system has to be bound by the gravity of our sun and therefore share the same axis/equatorial plane. Providing it is lighter than our sun, and can therefore be seen by the light it emits...

Objects are not bound into systems. Objects simply affect each other through forces. A system such as our solar system is stable over long periods of time since the forces acting upon the parts of the system do not appreciably change the paths much over time. If there were a new mass in the solar system then we would see its affects on the paths of the other objects in the solar system. The planets would not be in their predicted positions.

I don't see it as entering our solar system, but our system getting swallowed-up by it; the gas cloud/fluff.

Interstellar material is incredibly diffuse. The mass is so small as to have no observable effects.

The polarity of our gravity draws energy to the south pole where it is emitted out to space, then recycled back through the north pole, or opposite? I'm no scientist with any kind of a degree; but if our gravity field gets depleted as a result of this fluffy cloud and it's heat signature finds a path along the lines of our G-field and back into our atmosphere, that's a face melter in my book.

Gravity does not have polarity. It is never repulsive, only attractive. The gravity of the Earth cannot be depleted. It is a function of the mass of the Earth.

You appear to be talking about the magnetic field of the Earth. The Earth's field does not transfer energy. Energy is only affected if there is an interaction between the field and an object.

Are magnetic fields penetrable? We already know that we can reverse polarities...so what gives if this cloud is the catalyst for such an event? What if Betelgeuse goes super-nova?

Of course. That's how an electric generator works. Wires pass through the magnetic field and mechanical energy is transformed into electrical.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Flowmaster05

Or you could park a ship or platform there. Any number of ways of getting a telescope there.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

You could, but the ice moves. You have to deal with the drift over time. An object resting on ice has to be concerned with it melting into the ice. Over time the object could settle through the ice.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
My question still is why would people think that it is possible to hide by making a specific approach which is along the Earth's axis towards the South Pole.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

The Cassiopaeans speak of the same thing but call it 'The wave'. Hyper-kinetic sensate. It will be preceded by a cluster of comets that wreak havoc on our planet (like the dragons tail in Revelations) and this cluster seems to always get knocked towards us by a binary brown dwarf that passes through the oort cloud like a bowling ball through pins and sends a cluster of comets towards us everytime, only this time it will preceed an energetic wave that, along with raising people to a higher density, will also bring various entities including the Nephilim back to Planet Earth.

This is what they say but after much research on the topic I have to say I am a bit weary of it...not the info, but the reality.
edit on 2-4-2012 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I'm sure we have enough ingenuity to solve these minor issues.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

I'm sure we have enough ingenuity to solve these minor issues.

This is what I was thinking.

Not discounting the OP in regards to the fact that IF there was a rogue planet/dwarf star heading our way from the South Pole, we would undoubtedly see it coming.

But given the technology advancements of the human race thus far I would think there would be some way to counter the already known variables of the floating ice mass that is part of the Arctic Ocean to put a telescope of some kind on the North Pole.

I'm sure there are plenty of spectacular things to see from the North as there is from the South.

Back on topic.

In my opinion, I don't see how anybody could possibly believe there would be some "unknown" object approaching us in a way that would be unobservable to professional (and amateur) astronomers. And how they could possibly be able to keep quiet about something so astounding.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join