It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can an object approaching the South Pole be hidden from prying eyes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
All the people looking to the sky for change in 2012 are looking in the wrong place.Change begins with the man in the mirror.

Regards to all

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
Good point

OP: Is this about the idea that some members have that there is a planet approaching us from the direction of the South Pole? A planet that they claim we cannot see because it can only be seen from the South Pole area?

They must be all Bonkers because if a Planet was on a collision course with earth someone some where would see it to say this can be only observed at the south pole is guff
Unless it was the size of a ping pong ball then it really would not matter
y know

Cran

Nonetheless, that is their claim. The other day [perhaps a week ago] I saw where someone linked a youtube video that showed a planet several times the apparent size of the full moon. The claim was that it was only visible from the South Pole.

There are a lot of idiots here that will argue it to the death. They actually believe that Nibiru (or perhaps some other planet, I haven't really been following it) has snuck up on us from the direction of the South Pole, and that it cannot be seen from anywhere else. It's a bold claim--but how can you disprove it? They don't seem to understand that a planet of any size--never mind one several times the size of Jupiter--cannot just go roaming around the Solar System without causing horrendous havoc.

It's possible they're just being obtuse, or just playing an elaborate joke on the ignorant. But there are plenty who seem to believe it quite literally....

Sorry, OP. Don't mean to steal your thread.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

It's possible they're just being obtuse, or just playing an elaborate joke on the ignorant.

More like "elaborate profitability"...

Here is just one example:

Five ETFs For Doomsday Capitalism

The world is always ending, according to someone out there. The current environment is full of those who think the end is nigh–at least for the robust global economy to which we’ve grown accustomed. Let’s suppose that our economy is about to fall off a cliff, resulting in general chaos, what’s the average investor supposed to do? The answer is a bit of an oxymoron: profit from doomsday capitalism. Even the most pessimistic of the bunch can appreciate the investment options available at their fingertips which could pay off big time if (when?)our political and financial systems deteriorate (see Doomsday Special: 7 Hard Asset Investments You Can Hold In Your Hand).

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

HA! Classic. Thanks for that....

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Wait, you guys!
You forgot that it's a planet that's actually invisible!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I created the following image to illustrate what happens. The disc at the top represents the Earth and the poles are marked North and South. The object approaching Earth is the black dot. It could be a craft or an asteroid. That doesn't matter.

The colored lines show parts of the Earth where someone on the black dot could see different parts of the Earth. Someone at those spots could also the the dot. The black tangent lines show the limits of where someone could be on Earth and see the dot. The Earth disc is marked with a gray area where someone could not see the dot and the "sea-clouds" part of the disc could see the dot.

A distant dot could be viewed by 1/2 of the Earth's surface. Since the dot is approaching the pole and the Earth rotates on that axis, then only that region of the Earth can see the dot.

What makes me curious is why this is not clear? Is there something I have overlooked in describing the situation?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Let me sum it up. INCOMMING SHOCKWAVE. So tell me, can you see a shockwave, brother.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
The entire 2012 thread is filled with many simple as well as complicated misunderstandings. Some of the misunderstandings deal with archaeological issues such as mixing Aztec with Mayan cultures or thinking that other cultures other than the Maya mention 2012.

Here I'd like to point out a recurring mistake concerning the South Pole. Countless threads and posts within threads suggest that it is possible to "sneak" up on the Earth by approaching directly at the South Pole.

It is unclear to me why no threads claim that the same can be done for the North Pole. Why can't an object apply the same trickery at the other end of the Earth?

Is it because there is a telescope at the South Pole and not one at the North pole?

Let me try to offer some clarity. People who really believe a planet with a log eliptical orbit can sneak up on us are either stupid, ignorant or delusional.

While there is no north pole specific telescope canada does have the large zenith telecope. You also have a bunchof other mega telescopes in the north polar region. There are also hundreds of thousands of amateur astronomers in the near extreme north. The south pole has the amazing ice cube telescope. Ground scopes are not nearly as important as the orbital telescopes which eliminate our blind spots. For an object to enter the system without us knowing it would have to be very small and/or use intelligent behavior and play hide and seek.

Lastly, a planet or moonsized object to entering our system would be detectable even if it was invisible. Its going to affect the orbits and movements of other objects in our system. Orbital wobbles asteroids getting pulled out of the belt etc... if its big enough to live up to any of the claims then it would be in our system and visible to millions right now. You would see planetary bodies being wobbling and reacting right now.

Nothing extinction level is sneaking up on us. Even if it was whizzing in at 100k mph we would see it waaaat ahead of time. An object planet sized doesnt sneak and we could track it years before arrival.

Dont believe the planet x crap. It isnt worth your time.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
I created the following image to illustrate what happens. The disc at the top represents the Earth and the poles are marked North and South. The object approaching Earth is the black dot. It could be a craft or an asteroid. That doesn't matter.

The colored lines show parts of the Earth where someone on the black dot could see different parts of the Earth. Someone at those spots could also the the dot. The black tangent lines show the limits of where someone could be on Earth and see the dot. The Earth disc is marked with a gray area where someone could not see the dot and the "sea-clouds" part of the disc could see the dot.

A distant dot could be viewed by 1/2 of the Earth's surface. Since the dot is approaching the pole and the Earth rotates on that axis, then only that region of the Earth can see the dot.

What makes me curious is why this is not clear? Is there something I have overlooked in describing the situation?

Simplistic thinking.
You are forgetting that we have eyes here in New Zealand and Australia.
The sky, unless cloudy, is clear and unpolluted.
We are not blind, so you hypothesis is flawed.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
Let me sum it up. INCOMMING SHOCKWAVE. So tell me, can you see a shockwave, brother.

So can you see a shockwave? No you can not.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The only way to see a shockwave is to see what it does to other planets and all the other junk out there. In other words, the aftermath of.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
maybe you should all check out what is happening to the other planets farthest away from the sun.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

They probably don't know about the European Southern Observatory or the Australian National Telescope/Compact Array and the soon to be completed Square Kilometer Array, not to mention major observatories in every state and the thousands of amateur astronomers from the Southern latitudes.

The people who believe in stealth planet-spaceships/dwarf stars have not necessarily got the education, experience or intelligence to realize that such things are highly unlikely.

edit on 2/4/2012 by chr0naut because: too many 't's in latittttttttttttttttudes!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by luxordelphi

The Antarctic (south pole) is almost unpopulated compared to the Arctic (north pole.)

Yet at the South Pole there is a 'permanent' base so there are more people constantly at the South Pole than there are at the North Pole...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by stereologist

They probably don't know about the European Southern Observatory or the Australian National Telescope/Compact Array and the soon to be completed Square Kilometer Array, not to mention major observatories in every state and the thousands of amateur astronomers from the Southern latitudes.

The people who believe in stealth planet-spaceships/dwarf stars have not necessarily got the education, experience or intelligence to realize that such things are highly unlikely.

edit on 2/4/2012 by chr0naut because: too many 't's in latittttttttttttttttudes!

No such thing as a dwarf star? Interesting.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

The bulk of the people in Antarctica are employed by governments. There is not an indigenous population there like there is in the Arctic. Also, the telescope array on the Antarctic Plateau is automated because even in summer the weather is very harsh.

Even with all of these constraints i.e. 90% of the world's population in the northern hemisphere, 2 million people in the Arctic as compared to a sparse population of government employees in Antarctica - there are a lot of videos of objects on You Tube and a lot of pictures of objects on the web from New Zealand and Australia.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by luxordelphi
reply to post by aorAki

The bulk of the people in Antarctica are employed by governments. There is not an indigenous population there like there is in the Arctic. Also, the telescope array on the Antarctic Plateau is automated because even in summer the weather is very harsh.

Even with all of these constraints i.e. 90% of the world's population in the northern hemisphere, 2 million people in the Arctic as compared to a sparse population of government employees in Antarctica - there are a lot of videos of objects on You Tube and a lot of pictures of objects on the web from New Zealand and Australia.

To coin an Australian phrase - Bulldust!
There is nothing sneaking up on earth from the south pole.
You guys are so ignorant it ain't even funny.
Tell us where these pictures are, don't waffle on about nothing concrete!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Why get distracted by the poles when everyone knows the planet is hiding behind the sun

I'd be more worried about the rogue warp speed planets as hypothesized but chances seem very slim to be hit by one.If one of those came through our galaxy, we wouldn't know what hit us anyway.

"These warp-speed planets would be some of the fastest objects in our galaxy. If you lived on one of them, you'd be in for a wild ride from the center of the galaxy to the universe at large," said astrophysicist Avi Loeb of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

Link

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

I've not replied before, so unsure if this will appear properly...
I have no doubt that the sky from both poles are equally visible to all, and personally I don't think we can be sneaked up on, 'but' if an incoming object can interfere with satellites, then the technology that observatories need to use to watch for these objects may fail, enabling thus object to appear before we have a chance to observe it.
As for the holes at the poles, I saw a link yesterday, not sure where, that claimed because of the warmth around the edges of the holes(from the inner earth), there was a fifty mile radius of greenery and life, if there were holes, someone would have gotten close enough to study them, I'm sure.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

The existence of these hyper velocity planets has no bearing on whether or not an object can approach the South Pole and be hidden from view unless you are suggesting that speed is an issue in making it hard to detect.

I am still curious as to why people think that an object could only be seen from the South Pole if the object were approaching directly at that point along the axis of the Earth.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join