It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can an object approaching the South Pole be hidden from prying eyes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The entire 2012 thread is filled with many simple as well as complicated misunderstandings. Some of the misunderstandings deal with archaeological issues such as mixing Aztec with Mayan cultures or thinking that other cultures other than the Maya mention 2012.

Here I'd like to point out a recurring mistake concerning the South Pole. Countless threads and posts within threads suggest that it is possible to "sneak" up on the Earth by approaching directly at the South Pole.

It is unclear to me why no threads claim that the same can be done for the North Pole. Why can't an object apply the same trickery at the other end of the Earth?

Is it because there is a telescope at the South Pole and not one at the North pole?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Maybe because the inner earth access hole at the north pole is much larger so that whole area is most likely on lockdown.
edit on 1-4-2012 by Mandrakerealmz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

i'd bet it's because most ATS members live in the northern hemisphere so they only think about the southern hemisphere are being inaccessible. there's plenty of people living in the northern, so surely we'd catch it.

Originally posted by stereologist

Is it because there is a telescope at the South Pole and not one at the North pole?

and wouldn't this idea actually mean that there is a giant telescope at the north pole but not the south? if the south could be snuck up on, it would mean there isn't a scope down there, no?
edit on 4/1/12 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
A Alien craft that can cross the galaxy and possibly the universe at unimaginable speeds doesn't need to sneak up on us.

edit on 1-4-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This statement has a lot of truth. As the south pole has a different view than in the higher levels like the mid areas.
It is especially important to note that we are not privy to the activities at the south polar region.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

There actually is a telescope at the South Pole.

en.wikipedia.org...

There is no land at the North Pole on which to place a telescope.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ionsoul
This statement has a lot of truth. As the south pole has a different view than in the higher levels like the mid areas.
It is especially important to note that we are not privy to the activities at the south polar region.

Now you're privy.

Don't get too excited.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Most claims deal with non-craft such as approaching disastrous planets. Such objects are not claimed to be piloted bu that is the orbit these objects are claimed to have.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

The entire 2012 thread is filled with many simple as well as complicated misunderstandings. Some of the misunderstandings deal with archaeological issues such as mixing Aztec with Mayan cultures or thinking that other cultures other than the Maya mention 2012.

Here I'd like to point out a recurring mistake concerning the South Pole. Countless threads and posts within threads suggest that it is possible to "sneak" up on the Earth by approaching directly at the South Pole.

It is unclear to me why no threads claim that the same can be done for the North Pole. Why can't an object apply the same trickery at the other end of the Earth?

You are obviously in the northern hemisphere and just because those of us living well south from the equator are considered to be living "down under" you assume that the south pole is the lowest part on earth and can be snuck up on from even lower areas of space.
Wrong!
I live at 37degrees south and can see the celelstial south pole every day and night when there is no cloud.
This celestial south pole is actually elevated at 37 degrees above the visible horizon, so I look UP at this celestial south pole.
You in the north cannot see it, just as I cannot see the celestial north pole, it is below the visible horizon
So far have not seen anything "sneak up" on us.
edit on 1-4-2012 by Sailor Sam because: spelling

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Mandrakerealmz

Isn't there a sea at the North Pole? Wouldn't all of the water just flow into the inner Earth if such a hole existed?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I dont fully understand the physics involved in the hollow earth theory. Potentially yeah but that doesn't mean it would all be sucked up. Its sitting there balanced

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
If something was heading towards the South Pole, such as "disastrous planets" they would have to have some form of steering mechanism to catch us. The odds are highly in our favor when it comes to objects hurdling through space, much less planets.

This may help one understand...

Video Description: Detailed animation of Earth's orbit in the solar system.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

reply to post by ICEKOHLD

There actually is a telescope at the South Pole.

en.wikipedia.org...

There is no land at the North Pole on which to place a telescope.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "sea" at the north pole completely frozen over.

If that's the case, couldn't you theoretically put a telescope there?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I'm not sure if there's a lot of misdirection or misunderstanding of the OP's question/statement here.

OP: Is this about the idea that some members have that there is a planet approaching us from the direction of the South Pole? A planet that they claim we cannot see because it can only be seen from the South Pole area? Are you looking for confirmation that you are correct in the belief that if it could be seen from the South Pole, that it could be seen from many other places in the Southern Hemisphere?

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

If something were inbound from the north pole it would be very difficult to keep it secret. On the other hand, if something were inbound from the south pole it would be easier.

Octans, for instance, is a constellation almost directly over the south pole and it is only visible from the southern hemisphere.

Octans

The star in Octans closest to the pole is Sigma Octantis and it is very dim, barely visible.

Sigma Octantis

At magnitude 5.5, Sigma Octantis is barely visible to the naked eye, making it a rather poor pole star

Many early centers of civilization didn't even know that Octans existed.

Octans

Octans is so far south that it is in a region of the sky never seen by the ancient Greeks and Babylonians, who devised the ancient constellations, so it has no mythological associations.

The southern hemisphere is less populated than the northern hemisphere partially because:

Southern Hemisphere

In comparison to the Northern Hemisphere, the Southern Hemisphere has fewer land masses and more water.

Northern Hemisphere

Earth's northern hemisphere contains most of the planet's land, and roughly 90% of its human population.

The Antarctic (south pole) is almost unpopulated compared to the Arctic (north pole.)

Fun Facts Antarctic vs. Arctic

The population south of 60°S is sparse and occurs at scattered scientific stations.

Human population north of 60°N is in excess of 2 million with modern settlements.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Maybe because the inner earth access hole at the north pole is much larger

Than what??
Pictures or it never happened
Or ever will

Cran

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Doesn't physics state that water flows downhill? Down is down, towards the center of the Earth.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Flowmaster05

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "sea" at the north pole completely frozen over.

If that's the case, couldn't you theoretically put a telescope there?

But the sea ice drifts and is not that thick. Ice cracks and pressure ridges form.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

This idea that it is possible to approach the South Pole has been claimed many times. I am curious as to the origins of the idea and why this idea is so appealing.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Good point

OP: Is this about the idea that some members have that there is a planet approaching us from the direction of the South Pole? A planet that they claim we cannot see because it can only be seen from the South Pole area?

They must be all Bonkers because if a Planet was on a collision course with earth someone some where would see it to say this can be only observed at the south pole is guff
Unless it was the size of a ping pong ball then it really would not matter
y know

Cran

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join