It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone Use in Pregnancy May Cause Behavioral Disorders in Offspring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Exposure to radiation from cell phones during pregnancy affects the brain development of offspring, potentially leading to hyperactivity, Yale School of Medicine researchers have determined.
The results, based on studies in mice, are published in the March 15 issue of Scientific Reports, a Nature publication.
"This is the first experimental evidence that fetal exposure to radiofrequency radiation from cellular telephones does in fact affect adult behavior," said senior author Dr. Hugh S. Taylor, professor and chief of the Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences

So are some of the conspiracy thoerists right on this one, to the degree that cell phones may be dangerous for humans? I can't really appreciate these mouse studies because I am unsure about how the comparisons to humans correlate, or if they do in a significant way. I remember when Sweet and Low came out and the warning read 'may cause cancer in lab rats.' Yet they still sell the stuff?
I feel that if it was my , or my wife's baby, I would exercise caution, just to be on the safe side. No one needs any more excuses for brain/mental issues with our children.

They found that the mice that were exposed to radiation tended to be more hyperactive and had reduced memory capacity. Taylor attributed the behavioral changes to an effect during pregnancy on the development of neurons in the prefrontal cortex region of the brain.
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), is a developmental disorder associated with neuropathology localized primarily to the same brain region, and is characterized by inattention and hyperactivity.
"We have shown that behavioral problems in mice that resemble ADHD are caused by cell phone exposure in the womb," said Taylor. "The rise in behavioral disorders in human children may be in part due to fetal cellular telephone irradiation exposure."

Source
Makes me wonder if cell phones have already contributed to some of these ailments, and could they have similar effect on adults or adolescents. It is strange that the symptoms are the same for ADHD, and affect the same regions of brain.
I am curious to how much(time) cell phone exposure was necessary to create these results?

Peace,
spec

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Interesting. We know (or at least suspect) that our tech has the potential to damage us from every day life exposure. It's a frightening prospect to know something such as heavy cell use could damage the developing unborn. Perhaps the rise in questionable behaviors and cognitive/mental disorders in the younger generations could be attributed to being exposed to increasing cellular radiation output during their gestations and/or youths? The beepers of the 90's went the way of the dinosaur very quickly in the early 2000's in favor of cells, this may be partly responsible for the literal mentalities of the tweens/teens and younger kids now.

OP, you asked about exposure duration. In the article, I believe they said a cell was placed above the cage for the duration of the study on active call. I noticed a mention of 19 days for the duration of a mouse pregnancy, also. I assume the study duration & pregnancy duration were roughly the same. I know it's a leap to assume someone would be on their phone 24 hours a day for an entire pregnancy, but it at least shows there is a defined effect maximum. Now they need to refine future studies and find the median range for average human use & study it accordingly.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
We should soon see actual proof of this in humans or not within the next few months--if not already--since most of the people of reproductive age are permanently attached to a 3G or 4G umbilica cord.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
already been discussed here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Another concern is the number of cell phones in use and especially concentrated in certain areas such as school or the workplace. Let's say 20 something phones are on in a single office or classroom. What are the effects? Do these phones do damage when just being merely on, or is it when the line is open/on? It looks like the tests were for 'active' phones use.
So if this is causing damage to fetuses, how about regular adults? Should there be any concern for their exposure?
I am curious about any Japanese studies on cell phone radiation, since their culture is/has been saturated with cell phone use?

Here are some relative threads on cell phone issues:

I found this a couple of years ago:

edit on 2-4-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Thanks amraks, I think since they are in 2 different forums, it will be okay.

Peace

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Oh well I'm not going to blast my head off about it like some people do on here.

I just thought I would mention it.

I sometimes think its good have 2 threads about something why not, sometimes you miss threads because people don't make the title of them interesting enough to click on.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Yep. It has to be solely cell phones that are causing this. Blame it on the cell phones!

Pay no attention to GMO foods, radiation in the atmosphere, laptops, or a combination of all these including cell phones.
Now, move along. That's right.

new topics

top topics

join