It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Independence Day - ''it's coming from the Moon''

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
OK, so I have to admit that Independence Day is one of my most favourite movies of all time
Something has always bugged me though.....

Basically, right at the start when they're at SETI when they first pick up the alien signal, the lady working on the computer says ''calculated distance from source is at three hundred and eight five thousand kilometers, IT'S COMING FROM THE MOON!''.

Anyone else think's it odd that thoughout the rest of the entire movie, there is no reference made to where the aliens have come from, especially no mention of them actually being from the Moon.... Which makes me think why even add that line in the first place? Were we supposed to think that the aliens were actually from the Moon? I heard a few months ago that a sequel was on the cards, maybe it will be a prequel which will explain everything?

Unfortunately I can't find a clip but I'm hoping other Independence Day fans here will know what I'm talking about or even may have wondered themselves about it.... The movie transcript can be found at
www.imsdb.com...

I'm on the fence about the existence of aliens but I do wonder if the astronauts did really see something while they were up there, the ''santa claus'' and ''bogey'' comments etc.. And I do think it's possible we were warned by aliens not to go back too often, I mean surely there could be a Disneyland or at least a Hilton up there by now

And no nasty comments about my taste in movies please

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by paradisepurple

Independance day has been on telly so much the past few months over here in England that i've lost count.
I like the film, just why show it so much?
Are they trying to say something....

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I don't know for sure but I like the movie. Is there a sequal planned?

Personally I think people should worry about the moon people.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I know! And I probably watch it every single time

I do believe that TBTB use the media to provide us with plenty of subliminal mesages and think the truth is probably hidden in plain sight...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

There was indeed a sequel being planned, although I don't know if it's actually happened or how far along the plans are...

Moon people??

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by paradisepurple

Yeah the moon people....www.aliensonthemoon.com...

www.ufocasebook.com...
edit on 1-4-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Cool, thanks for the link, looks really interesting! Maybe they are hiding the truth in plain sight with that comment in the movie

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I think what they meant was that the alien craft sending the signal was near the direction of the moon, because they also showed the craft's shadow over the Apollo site. I never took it as them being on the moon itself.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
they come from behind the moon and over it.

referencing that the signals were coming from the moon were true, they just passed right over it.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
There WAS a sequel coming BUT will smith wanted too much money for it. He wanted 3 times what he got last time. Now mayby if the rest of the cast works for free they migh tmake a new one,but when have actors ever been pro bono?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

before assuming the multiple repearts of " independance day " are some " message " - please review the entire radiotimes and note how many other films are repeated quite often

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
they come from behind the moon and over it.

referencing that the signals were coming from the moon were true, they just passed right over it.

Correct. In the context of the film they are saying the signal is there, but it is coming from the moon, so something is wrong. I don't think they were inferring the aliens came from the moon, more that they were coming in over the moon.

Still an awesome film though, personally I hope they don't make a sequel, or even a prequel. The greats should be left as is...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies!

The creepy noise of the spaceship blowing dust over the plaque left by the astronauts of Apollo 11 had me COMPLETELY HOOKED from the word go - it was such a great start to the movie.... Guess it just wouldn't have been the same without that scene.... Stands to reason why that comment then had to be made at SETI.

Mystery solved

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by SilentE

before assuming the multiple repearts of " independance day " are some " message " - please review the entire radiotimes and note how many other films are repeated quite often

I would love to....but I have a life.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

you claim you " have a life " - yet are obsessing over how many times " independance day " is screened - but will not consider how many other films are repeated

you bloody hypocrite

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

reply to post by SilentE

you claim you " have a life " - yet are obsessing over how many times " independance day " is screened - but will not consider how many other films are repeated

you bloody hypocrite

Are you serious??

Did I hit a nerve or something?
I'm pretty sure i'm not obsessing over it, it was a tongue in cheek comment.
Name calling.... wow.....i'm going to lose sleep tonight..

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE

reply to post by SilentE

you bloody hypocrite

Are you serious??

Did I hit a nerve or something?
I'm pretty sure i'm not obsessing over it, it was a tongue in cheek comment.
Name calling.... wow.....i'm going to lose sleep tonight..

Cheers.

Ignorant Ape, I'm sure SilentE was just picking up on the fact that certain movies (alien/end of the world/disaster) do seem to be shown more than others, say, romantic comedies.... This is in addition to the documentaries with these themes.... It's certainly the case here in the UK anyway... And I notice this because these are the type of things I enjoy watching

It may well be attributed to the year being 2012 though. For example, there is a plethora of Titanic drama/documentaries on at the moment due to the 100th anniversary coming up so obviously the media are going to capitalise on that.

However, there is no doubt in my mind that we are being brainwashed by the media in many aspects, one only has to look at the news to know that... So maybe the movies we all enjoy DO contain subliminal messages...
edit on 3-4-2012 by paradisepurple because: sp

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Anyone else think's it odd that thoughout the rest of the entire movie, there is no reference made to where the aliens have come from, especially no mention of them actually being from the Moon.

They did explain it.

When the President was talking to it...he could see what they were. They travelled from planet to planet like locusts. They devour the resources and then move on. They aren't from the moon. They simply started their coordination signal when they were near the moon, so they could use our own satellites against us.

So, safe to assume these aliens are from a completely different star system than Earth.

President Whitmore:

I saw... its thoughts. I saw what they're planning to do. They're like locusts. They're moving from planet to planet... their whole civilization. After they've consumed every natural resource they move on... and we're next. Nuke 'em. Let's nuke the bastards.

edit on 3-4-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Cheers Gazrok

And by the way reading your quote from President Whitmore made me wish it was on TV tonight

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Even though it's riddled with plot holes, is pretty corny, and pretty formulaic, it's still one of my favorite alien movies also.

The President's pep talk speech is worth the price of admission alone... I just love though, how it shows just how inferior our weapons could be against a foe that can travel the stars...

Luckily, I'd think that with the ability to travel the stars, resources would be nearly infinite, so they wouldn't have any MOTIVE for war. This is why I believe any alien race who came here would be at worst, indifferent to us, vs. hostile.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join