It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Short video of the Sun w/ Sunspots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Trying out my new Solar Filter used on a 76mm Telescope. Video is in Black and White.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Cohort

S+F
Nice work!

ATS is seeing more and more folks getting into observing and recording the heavens-and long may it continue.

I am trying to get hold of a solar filter before the transit of Venus in June-it wont happen again for a century or so,so I really want to try to capture that in June.
But the transit aside,2012/13 could turn out to be a great time for viewing sunspots,as the sun is "waking up"after the solar minimum.

Check out this ATS users videos-He has a nice scope,and some great footage:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
And although not as good,check out my vids in my signature thread!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Thanks for the reply! Only had mine for about a month, still learning and experimenting with it. Ive got some color vids also, I may upload them soon.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Cohort

I'm a beginner as well-Its no small learning curve,at least to me.
But worthwhile.

You should check out some of the solar viewing websites,that way you can identify the particular sunspots you record.I have been doing something similar with moon maps,to find names of craters.
In the case of your above video,I think that is sunspot AR 1429.

Here is another vid someone took of it:

www.spaceweather.com...

Keep it up Bud!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I have always wondered why there have been no videos of the Sun from space, either from orbit, or from the Moon, or from somewhere in between. To tell me NASA has never had the time or the interest to do such a simple thing, I won't buy. Filter manufacturers tell me their filters will work just the same in space as they do on Earth. I have been told by others that you need a neutral density filter to attenuate the extremely harsh Sun in space, but I read they did have such a filter on the first TV camera they sent into space, but still no videos of the Sun, preferably showing spots . I have asked NASA if they could just take me a few seconds of video so I can believe it is possible, but get no replies. I'd appreciate it if some other ATS members would try to get an answer. Maybe Not A Straight Answer, but hey, ya never know.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GaryN

There are such photos Gary,here are a couple:
From the ISS:

www.onorbit.com...

Taken from surface of moon,Apollo 12 mission:
history.nasa.gov...

And more recently,NASA have the SDO(Solar Dynamics Observatory)up and running,which is an orbital solar camera.
www.nasa.gov...

www.space.com...

new topics

top topics

join