It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug Breakthrough for Colds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
"Colds" are a waste of time .. a waste of resources .. a HUGE money making industry for cold relief drug makers ... but most of all they are dreaded and an awful thing to go through. (and for a lot of us they lead to bigger problems like pneumonia and/or broncitis etc etc). A new drug in phase II stage testing has some promising results that could very quickly dispose of the symptoms of the typical cold ...

Drug Breakthrough For Colds

The randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled Phase II clinical trial included 300 asthmatic patients who were infected with the human rhinovirus (HRV) — an infection that causes the "cold." Patients who took Vapendavir began overcoming their symptoms after 1.7 days — and recovered quickly — compared to patients given a placebo whose cold symptoms intensified after 2.5 days.

Phase II trials .... the colds started getting better after just a day and a half ... whereas usually colds would be getting worse after two and a half days. I'd say that this is a very significant difference. I know my 'colds' last two weeks. And they are at their worst probably days 5-6. Having autoimmune that effects the lungs and sinus' means that, what is a simple headcold for most of ya'll is really a much bigger deal for me to endure.

I'm looking forward to the results of phase III trials ... hope there are no big side effects ... hope it's something I can take sometime and do okay with it. (Sjogrens folks have lots of issues with drugs/meds .. lots of side effects hit us in a higher percentage than the avg population).

edit on 4/1/2012 by FlyersFan because: typo

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
As long as the body is able to be exposed to the cold strain, it sounds good.

Although, I've taken steps that that have reduced the likelihood of getting a cold, without and drug. I went from being sick a lot to only getting sick around the time winter turns into spring.

I think a lot of people could rid themselves of colds just by changing their habits.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I'm leery of pharmacitial medicines. Not that they don't work, it's just a business like any other and often times they rush drugs on the market to make money and find out there's unforeseen side effects. People need to go more homeopathic and natural for your normal mild illnesses.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Does anyone else here never get colds?
I haven't had one since I was a teenager,18odd years ago.
Even If I am in a room with lots of cold sufferers,I never catch em..

If I could figure out why,I could make a ruck of money I bet.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Does anyone else here never get colds?

I average twice a year .. once in Oct/Nov and once in Mar/Apr.
But I'm VERY careful with germs. Not germ-phobic .. but germ-aware.
I have autoimmune and am on meds that change my immune system.
I avoid malls and movie theatres and grocery shopping (except early morning). Etc

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I haven't had a cold in I can't remember how long ago.

This drug may be good for those who have compromised immune systems, babies, and the elderly, but I, myself, would use this drug as a last resort. I fear that doctors (and Big Pharma) will want people to take this immediately upon symptom onset, which would harm our body's immune system and decrease its ability to fight off viruses and infections naturally.
edit on 1-4-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I have never taken pharmaceuticals for anything.
I never get colds, flu's or viruses.
Very rarely I do get the symptoms of one of those beginning but I swear by the next day they are gone.

It seems ridiculous to take drugs for a cold anyway, its such a benign thing.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by xxThexGreatxEscapexx

People need to go more homeopathic and natural for your normal mild illnesses

Whiskey hot water and honey is better than any sugar laden chemical mixture that you could by from a chemist

Cran

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Taking Zinc in the early phases of a cold are known to stop it from ever fully turning into one as well.

new topics

top topics

join