It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OPINION: A good answer to most SHTF questions regarding survival.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I hate misleading titles and I really hope that many of you will see it the same way.
The answer is as old as we are and its so obvious that many forget.

So first, we have to begin at the very start. We have to look at life itself. What seperated us from animals and brought us to our current civilisation. Its how our body is build (tools like fingers, our brain and so on) and the ability to use it to archieve something. This is know as skills.
Yes, animals also have skills but we all know what I´m on to.

Skill. It´s the uniquest but at the same time the universalst thing, you will ever posses in your life. Its infact the oldest currency if you like to say so.

You exchange your skills, energy and time for money every day at work.
Then you spend the money for food, wich in turn, is a exchange for energy.

Its simply as that. In a world where # has hit the fan, and everything is in chaos, you better know how to build, grow, get your needs or you will have to exchange something for it.

You can stock on gold, food, animals and other things to trade but these are material things. They can change their value anytime or rotten away/die/get stolen/break. Of course they are essential, too, but skills will last forever if you learned something and did it for a time.

You can grow your food or work for something to exchange it for food, if you have the skillset for it.
If the only thing you can offer to trade is material things, you will regret it because at some point somebody will deny a deal because he doesnt need your what ever and you will, eventually, end up dead.

Some examples:
If you buy an apple, from a farmer, you pay at least the energy and time the farmer needed to bring the apple to your table. You do not pay for the sun or the water, the nutrients in the earth that made the apple grow.

If you buy a wooden chair, you do not pay for growing the wood, you pay for the time and energy the builder spend to bring the wood in shape. He wants something in return to cover his energy and time spend to cover his hunger and other needs. In this case additionaly you pay for the skill.

Think about it

Thanks for your time.
edit on 1-4-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Thank you! When people ask me how they can best prepare for a SHTF scenario, I tell them to increase their skills, and that is the thing they almost never do.

Hunting, gathering, cooking, sewing, building things, fixing things. Start with any of those and keep going, because they will be more valuable to you than anything you have stored. Increase your skills!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Good point OP. Thank you for bringing it up again. We need to be reminded of this all the time.

Im not dissing stocking food and such, but stockpiling things isnt really the answer.....

I read a book years ago called Lucifiers Hammer. It was a story about a comet that basically knocks the world back to the stone age. One scene has always stuck with me, theres a guy who stocks this van with food, spices, liqour, gas, books, equipment, and everything you could possibly need in a SHTF scenario... Then a gang member high on coke steals it and blows it up. In a second he loses everything...

The moral? I dont care how much food you have stored, if you dont know how to grow more, your just delaying your death a little longer.

Education, and skills. Take advantage of the internet as long as its here. Learn all that you can, remember what you learn, and you will prosper.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
you are so right OP, I've seen posts on here as an example "what is a good survival book to keep in my bug out bag?"
I tell them, "If you need to put a how to book in your bug out bag its too late for you" if you get my drift. Learn what is in the books, get the skills to bring with you, they are invaluable.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Wow you all brought up some good extra informations

Hope more will join the discussion

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
had not much time yesterday, so this is my response to your words.

reply to post by NazcaP

I think one of the important things to learn is to butcher if you want some meat. Learning the anatomy of animals and so on. When I was young, I learned how to butcher rabbits (farmed) and fish.

reply to post by osirys

with todays technology you can even print yet unlearned and compile a book. I often thought about that but if I do this, I´ll do it right. And that would take some years of work. The outcome would be a book you couldn´t carry

But seriously, does anybody know a website that has (useful) how-to´s with good print versions?

reply to post by gunshooter

Haha thats really the way I think about most things. The funny thing is, logic would give the questioner the answer, but you know...
Logic and common sense, we have a brain to use it..

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Remember that for a short time we will not be thinking clearly if the SHTF. We will be entering a state of shock. If you have lost someone you love than this will go on way longer. It will cause us great sorrow. When this time of grief is over your knowledge will returned. It is best to forget some of the stuff you have experienced but don't forget the big picture. You will soon realize you have food stored and should think about eating soon.

We have to forgive ourselves for anything that we did wrong when this event happened because the fight and flight syndrome takes over in cases like that. I myself will carefully try to help others if something happens if I am able after the shock wears off. I will not run away unless it is necessary to temporarily do so. You cannot help others if you are dead either. Use caution in your desire to help others but still try to help and do not hinder operations. Our teens are more agile and heal better, get them involved if they are rational. Discourage them from going towards danger if their actions will do them harm. Hopefully we never have a major event like this but even helping out in local disasters needs control of mind and temperament.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Mental preparedness is essential if SHTF, your´re right. If SHTF, I guess many will go down the drain when they get ripped out of their world. I share your thoughts about helping others, too.
edit on 3-4-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I often think the safest and richest guy in a SHTF scenario is a regular handyman type who knows how to fix cars and other mechanical equipment that isn't necessarily powered.

ANY skill in demand (and that's most of the craft style professions), will be valuable. In the right setting, a skilled construction worker may not know how to hunt or fish, but be well compensated by others for his skillsets.

new topics

top topics

join