It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being over charged for food...say something or let it go?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Ok this is one of my biggest pet peeves that many people just let go out of fear of retaliation from the restaurant. Getting overcharged for an item or your meal.

My fiancee and I went to Wendy's drive thru yesterday and they charged us for 3 meals, we ordered 2. They gave us two of my order. It was about 8 dollars more than what we ordered. When she said the total I knew something was off. I wanted to go inside and give it back and have them adjust the price but my fiancee didn't care and I got a little annoyed. I told him that it is their job to get the order correct. It is NOT hard to take these orders and she didn't even read back the order like they are suppose to, had she done this she would have seen she overcharged us. I remember back when I was younger people did this with your order and it was right, now they are just lazy. Also for me it's the fact that it happens ALL the time and it shouldn't. I don't eat out much but when I do it's wrong 80% of the time. IF I am paying you for a service or meal I expect to get what I asked for and for it to be correct. I don't like to go out to eat because it is almost always wrong or the service and food is horrible. I prefer to make it myself esp if I am paying and it's wrong or tastes like crap. If you complain in a nicely manner instead of attacking them then you are fine. Those who scream at people for making a mistake won't get anywhere. I have been given orders I didn't even order before. These people are just flat out lazy and don't care.

Why can't people take pride in their job? It seems around me at least the drive thru people are rude and LAZY. Good luck getting your order right the first time. They seem to have constant attitudes like you are inconveniencing them. It drives me nuts because there are many people who would take that job and do it right!

Do you say something when you are overcharged or do you just take it and say nothing.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Moral of the story; don't eat at Wendy's.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Yeah I agree with the other poster. Support your digestive health and try to steer clear of the wendys.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Why can't people take pride in their job? It seems around me at least the drive thru people are rude and LAZY. Good luck getting your order right the first time. They seem to have constant attitudes like you are inconveniencing them. It drives me nuts because there are many people who would take that job and do it right!

That's one of my pet peeves too! My answer to the quote above is simple...

As long as we tolerate this behavior, we're never going to see any improvement. Of course, there are some people who, no matter what we do, will never worth the air they suck because they are so lazy and determined to be problematic for everyone but themselves.

The way I see it, if you can't do your job right and with a good attitude you don't need the job.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I've worked in that sort of thing before. I didn't take pride in my work because I was getting paid minimum wage while running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

If you go into these places and pay attention, they've got one person doing what needs to have two or three doing.

It's also sort of hard to care or take pride in your work when people look at you like scum, your boss can verbally assault you and your only option is quitting, and you have to go around hearing how you're a drain on society because you're poor from the low wages you get.

I, mean, really? You expect these people to take pride with most of the rest of society constantly looking down on them? Why should they really care about giving you a quality product or service when most of the people they come across look at them like they're worth less than the average house cat?
edit on 1-4-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I don't get people who would not say something. This is a mistake that happens from time to time in supermarkets or restaurants and they were always happy to correct fix the mistake.

I really don't get your girl friend why she would want to throw 8 bucks straight out the window like that.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
In this specific case I would go and have words with the manager. Then I wouldn't eat at this particular Wendy's ever again. If the manager didn't cooperate I'd sue the restaurant.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I worked at fast food for a few years as a teen. It was
horrible at times. Most people start smiling, eager, and happy
they have a job. Standing 8 or 9 hours a day on your feet, doing the same
Task over and over, you wont smile as much. Customers can be really rude at times.
You get 1 break. You never leave the time your supposed to. The pay can suck.

I remember how I was treated. I hated every second of it. Now whenever I go
anyplace I try to treat them nice even if they are a lil rude.

Fast food customers have a lot of power. You would have gotten your money back.
And probably got to keep extra food free.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Luckily it is not like this at all here in Norway. At even mcdonalds you get paid pretty decent wages of about $16-17$ a hour before taxes.

Even if wages are low I don't see why people look down on these people who work at such place.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by binkbonk

Moral of the story; don't eat at Wendy's.

Seriously? Why not? Why should I stop eating somewhere because the people don't do their job.

I bet you are one of the ones who would just stop eating there. This is what is wrong with people. NOBODY says anything and just thinks its ok. It is their JOB to get the order right!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Norway, you say? 16-17 dollars an hour for fast food work you say?
What is your standard price of living, I say? Is this what its like with a "living wage" so to speak?
edit on 1-4-2012 by boot2theface because: spelling

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Why don't you learn to look at the prices and your receipt? People make mistakes all the time.

EDIT: Actually, you should be mad at your fiancee.
edit on 1-4-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Thank you

I am not a big fast food eater but when I crave my Wendy's I want it to be right. This area in general just sucks for any kind of food service. The good places are 100 bucks for two lol

Where I use to live there was a guy who worked at Taco Bell who was the NICEST guy and BEST employee ever. He was mentally disabled (to me he seem more high function autistic because of his memory) but he was the BEST worker there. He got all kinds of awards and customer compliments. Your order was always right and he was always pleasant. He loved his job and he even remembered repeat customers and their orders. Everyone in the area knew if he was there your order was correct no matter how crazy your order was. It amazed us how he never messed anything up! I called the corporate office one time and emailed them a customer compliment on him. It seemed like when he was there the people were in a better mood too. He really did make that one Taco Bell better. I am not even a Taco Bell fan but the roommate at the time was so we were there often.

There use to be a time where people even in fast food service appreciated their jobs and did it correctly. The group out there now are lazy and don't want to work. Not all are but the majority from what I see and hear.

I was in McDonalds during lunch time about 6 mths ago and it was SLAMMED. The drive thru had a line wrapped around the building and inside was packed. They had ONE person on the register. A snot nosed teen who was complaining the entire time about how crappy his job was. I wanted to smack him. I told him he should be thankful he has one! Meanwhile there were about 5 employees outside smoking a cigarette and the manager was cleaning windows! I went up to the manager after 15mins of waiting and asked him why employees were outside smoking cigarettes during lunch with a line a mile long outside and one bratty kid behind the register who hates his job. He looked at me and then said he was sorry and that he would take care of it. The table next to him started clapping and said "we like you." I wasn't trying to be snotty but it was ridiculous and he should not be a manager. Funny thing is I applied at that McDonalds for management when I was looking for work and didn't hear back.

I guess I expect too much? My fiancee says I can expect things to always be perfect. I don't I just expect people to do their job.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Luckily it is not like this at all here in Norway. At even mcdonalds you get paid pretty decent wages of about $16-17$ a hour before taxes.

Oh wow! Here that would be a GREAT wage for fast food service. Here they pay minimum wage to start and in Florida it's $7.67 per hour or $306 a week before taxes at 40 hrs a week. That isn't a lot to live off of. I made more working as a telemarketer and retail manager.

Even if wages are low I don't see why people look down on these people who work at such place.

I don't look down on these people. I wouldn't look down on someone working to support themselves. What I look down on is their laziness to do their job and not complain. I don't like going inside because they always looked pissed off and have an attitude. The area where I live has a high unemployment rate and jobs are slim. You have to know someone to basically get a job around here right now. It's not easy. I would expect anyone with a job right now not to complain, they should be happy they at least have an income to support themselves on. Instead they want to complain how it sucks and they don't want to be there. Yes you wouldn't believe what I hear in the drive thru or inside from employees complaining. I had one employee try and attack me thru the window because I interrupted her late night fun in the store. She threw my food and money at me. I called and filed a complaint and the management said they had problems with her. In my mind why was she still there if she is a problem? Sorry but when I was a manager if an employee was a problem like that once they would have been gone. No second chances. Here they don't care and let it slide constantly.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by boot2theface
Yeah I agree with the other poster. Support your digestive health and try to steer clear of the wendys.

Wendy's every couple months isn't gonna kill you!

I am supporting my digestive cravings

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I've worked in that sort of thing before. I didn't take pride in my work because I was getting paid minimum wage while running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

I agree!! The wage they pay sucks and isn't something you can live off of. FL just has low wages and not many places hire full time either. I have had two and three jobs before just so I can pay my bills. It wasn't fun but they don't pay here. I was thankful I could work three jobs but right now it's hard to find just one.

If you go into these places and pay attention, they've got one person doing what needs to have two or three doing.

Agreed! I have even made these comments to managers. They don't seem to care and I know it's not always their fault, it's a corporate thing. I worked in retail management and our store was huge. We were allowed so many hours per week for all employees and we needed double what they would give us. It sucked but we got the work done with team work and positive attitudes. That is something management should be doing to boost moral with workers. Sadly not many do and it shows in the employees work.

It's also sort of hard to care or take pride in your work when people look at you like scum, your boss can verbally assault you and your only option is quitting, and you have to go around hearing how you're a drain on society because you're poor from the low wages you get.

No sympathy there. Was an exotic dancer for many years and I got all kinds of looks and stereo types. I was far from any of it. Oh and my boss verbally assaulted me all the time. He was a pig and I couldn't stand him but i needed to pay bills so I just shut up and did my job. Your only option isn't quitting esp if you work in a fast food place. You have hotlines you can call. I didn't have anything my only option WAS quitting. I needed to earn a living and that is how I did it til something better came along. Why let what other people think of you ruin your job? Who cares what they think, they don't know you. I don't judge people based on their job. Anyone who works is making a living for themselves, why would I look down on them?

I, mean, really? You expect these people to take pride with most of the rest of society constantly looking down on them? Why should they really care about giving you a quality product or service when most of the people they come across look at them like they're worth less than the average house cat?
edit on 1-4-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

Because that is their JOB. Why apply for a job and sign a contract stating you will do something and not do it?! Seriously I dont care how crappy the job is, it's a JOB. Suck it up and do it or find work elsewhere if you dont like it. People are lazy in this country and want things handed to them. The younger generation here doesn't seem to to want to work for things, they want it handed to them. If you dont like how people look at you that is your own personal issue. Grow thicker skin or a backbone then. If you let what others think of you get in the way of your life you will never be happy. I never gave a rats butt what people thought of me.

I wash dogs right now for a living. I make about 100 a week. It's not much but I love it. It's better than no job and I make the best of it. I never thought I'd be doing this but two months with no work was making me stir crazy. I am thankful to have a job even if it isn't much, it helps.

Again I guess I just expect too much from people today

edit on 4/1/2012 by mblahnikluver because: fix quotes

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

I don't get people who would not say something. This is a mistake that happens from time to time in supermarkets or restaurants and they were always happy to correct fix the mistake.

Yea it happens all over here. Mostly fast food places and Wal Mart are the culprit. Wal Mart always gives you a hard time on pricing but they always have things marked incorrectly. I know their policy yet they don't even follow it. It's very annoying.

I really don't get your girl friend why she would want to throw 8 bucks straight out the window like that.

I am female!! My fiancee is male. He doesn't look at money like me. He doesn't think that is much money, I on the other hand think it's still 8 bucks that could have been used for something else.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
In this specific case I would go and have words with the manager. Then I wouldn't eat at this particular Wendy's ever again. If the manager didn't cooperate I'd sue the restaurant.

Sue seriously? Over an incorrect order. See that is what is wrong with this country too, people are sue happy. There would be no reason to sue over something like this.

I have made complaints to this same Wendy's before. I don't eat Wendy's daily, just maybe once a month or every couple of months. It's right by my house and it's the only one without going 20mins out of my way. They closed the other one on beachside down.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I understand your discontent. I live in a rural area. Jobs for teens are not that easy to come by, and going down the mountain to the next town, is their best bet. Saying that, a few years back, a local Woman I know, her 17 yr. old son had a part time job with a fast food place. He got fired, why you ask. For overcharging customers just a little bit on most orders, An order of fries, a shake, you get it. When asked why he did it, he responded that all the employees did it, why single him out. He said he was taught by another kid, to ring up an extra item, and when the customer paid, delete that item and pocket the difference.

I don't know how prevalent this is, if it is at all. Just throwing it out on your thread for consideration....

Des

edit on 1-4-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron
Why don't you learn to look at the prices and your receipt? People make mistakes all the time.

EDIT: Actually, you should be mad at your fiancee.
edit on 1-4-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

First of all she didn't repeat the order after we placed it at the order window and second the receipt didn't even have our order on it, just a total of 24 bucks. We had three meals in the bag, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they overcharged us and gave us more food than we ordered. I don't consider it a mistake I consider it lack of doing their job. If she repeated it back like they are suppose to she would have seen she overcharged and got the order wrong.

Why would I get mad at him over something like this?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join