It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS Owner Wants Input

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by soficrow

I am pleased that you have chosen to approach the membership and ask for ideas. This is a glorious day for ATS!

Here are my ideas;

*Eliminate the [HOAX] thread and replace it with the following: [ATS DON'T LIKE IT]

or just [OH NO YOU DIDNT!]

*The old owner... SkepticOverbearing, should be allowed to retain access. I'd love a chance to catch him on a pool table

I hear he favors a real pool and the grill.....maybe a good ol fashioned "grill off" and a game of "marco polo" ?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Dear new ATS owner .... ditch the 'stars'. They just lead to group think. And people just 'star' those who either post what they agree with .. or 'star' those who slam those who they don't like. Get rid of 'em. Thanx.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Originally posted by redoubt

I am pleased that you have chosen to approach the membership and ask for ideas. This is a glorious day for ATS!

Here are my ideas;

*Eliminate the [HOAX] thread and replace it with the following: [ATS DON'T LIKE IT]

or just [OH NO YOU DIDNT!]

*The old owner... SkepticOverbearing, should be allowed to retain access. I'd love a chance to catch him on a pool table

I hear he favors a real pool and the grill.....maybe a good ol fashioned "grill off" and a game of "marco polo" ?

Hey there! Long time!

Really... April Fools aside, I'd take most any change to the [HOAX] thing. My major pet peeve and all...

As for the game of pool? I once sent 'Dubya' an invite for a game... he never replied. Whatever... you know?

If SkepticWhatever ever wants to mow the lawn a bit... I'd love the chance. There's nothing like a game of pool, a few beers and some good jams to make any normal day, one to remember

Nice to see you again

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
In case this is real...

I am interested in what you paid for the network. I am aware of previous offers that were turned down and would like to know what the sell out figure was

As to suggestions, please allow people to express humor
We could use a little lightening up around here

"April Fool" threads to [HOAX], please!

It's not that I don't have a sense of humor, but...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 1-4-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jameela
lol @ spray!

Both Sofi and OldCurmudgeon are correct. I do not and will not make many articles or threads here for many reasons, I would rather reply when I have a few seconds and do not want to think. Which lessens the quality of what my posting could otherwise be.

Having academia do any real work here is greatly hindered by not having copyright on their own work and research, as well as those nasty credentials to worry about...

The academic has an openness however, with the anonymity here, which is a great help in the latter, but work and research for the academic is a precious thing, and one prefers ownership of it when this is your bread and butter. You never know what you may write in the future, I for one only want to quote myself as an 'other than myself' if the topic is one I prefer my name not to be near, although this completely diminishes the credibility of ones own work-- not that anyone who quotes from a post/thread at ATS could ever hold their head up in public again! (HA! that alone I could never imagine)

So it is a catch 22 for anyone in academia.

Possibly the answer is simply competing in the numbers of posts/threads with those of diminished capacity, because it has to be an open place for all, and cracking down with already existing rules that appear little employed.

So get out the "troll" and "bully well full of themselves" spray!

edit on 1-4-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

Jameela... I agree with most of what you say, except respectfully, I'd rather say if one is in academia I'd hope we would help teach those less knowledgeable.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCurmudgeon

Jameela... I agree with most of what you say, except respectfully, I'd rather say if one is in academia I'd hope we would help teach those less knowledgeable.

Teaching, yes, destroying one's reputation so that you can never teach again, no. So you stay within accepted limits in order to keep your employ, thus continue to teach. Noting of course once you have your name established you enjoy more freedoms.

I am still a student, but the history of others is a reminder to be cautious when all you will have is your name and quality of work. And my future will depend on it if I ever expect to be taken seriously, and/or ever get paid, which is a necessity as well.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Teaching, yes, destroying one's reputation so that you can never teach again, no. So you stay within accepted limits in order to keep your employ, thus continue to teach. Noting of course once you have your name established you enjoy more freedoms.

I am still a student, but the history of others is a reminder to be cautious when all you will have is your name and quality of work. And my future will depend on it if I ever expect to be taken seriously, and/or ever get paid, which is a necessity as well.

I do agree... things have changed greatly in education and you certainly must be more careful than ever as many school systems are now far more than political as in the old days, cut throat I believe might best describe it... I have two children who teach, one at the grade school and the other at the middle school level and it appears as if Donald Trump wrote the rules at the schools. I believe the motto being taught to our children is, "if the person in your front moves not fast enough, stab them in the back and they will move from your way"..... the Donald Trump way... And yet, far too many of our children in high school currently were accessed to read at a 5th grade level. The downfall of the American school system.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

With total respect I can say this and if need be I will defend what I say ( If I have to ) It is my opinion that ATS looses many good people. The same people that can and would draw others of like minded quality and purpose. But, I think many of the members that " Fall away" either by choice or by be "sent packing" due to ( in my opinion ) an outburst of frustration etc come to this end for many reasons but one I think at the forefront? Favoritism. Plain and simple. There are numerous ( and I use the word wisely ) Numerous times where there is an obvious "Double Standard " when it comes to who is T&C'd and who is NOT!!!!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I am interested in what you paid for the network.

Sorry - confidential. I will say that unlike the FED, which is now being offered at a fire sale price, ATS has not lost its value. Also fyi, I have a 5-day opt out clause and for various reasons and considerations may drop the deal.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jameela

...Having academia do any real work here is greatly hindered by not having copyright on their own work and research, as well as those nasty credentials to worry about...

The academic has an openness however, with the anonymity here, which is a great help in the latter, but work and research for the academic is a precious thing, and one prefers ownership of it when this is your bread and butter.

Important considerations: Copyright and Anonymity.

But also, consider this: There are many truths which, if known and understood, would totally alter the world - the way people think, what they think about, and what people do as individuals, economic forces and as a society; most importantly, these truths are not marketable. ...Anything that threatens the socio-economic status quo is not marketable. The only way to sell such truth [aka "work"] is to change it - thus destroying the truth of it. Not saying that doesn't happen, but ATS is a place to tell the real, unvarnished, cold hard truth. What others may do with it is on them. And the refuge of anonymity is what allows such truth to be told.

It might be best to think of ATS as a garden, a place to plant seeds and hopefully, nurture a few growths to maturity. As OldCurmudgeon says, "to teach." But rather than just sharing information and teaching "facts," it might be more appropriate to help others "learn how to learn" - how to think, research, evaluate, critique others and themselves. Then let them do it.

At its best, ATS is a petrie dish where growth is forced, and a venue for sharing the harvest. At its best, ATS might change the world for the better. ...At its worst, well, you probably know. But the best cannot happen without a few quiet unassuming gardeners who are more interested in altering memes than getting published. ...Not that you don't feel stupid doing it sometimes, but it's a noble purpose.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
If its true you can fix things how about the way complaints are handled?If you point out somebody screwing around with the rules,you are sure to get gigged and "warned " within minutes..spI don't say anything,even about personal attacks .....so why even have a reporting system,?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Im not sure what software is used on these forums, but change it. It lacks a lot of simple functions and is def not even close to vbul Its a pain in the sas to use.

Other then that im not sure what more you can change, its a forum. Most forum owners are always tring to change up forums but at the end of the day...its a forum still.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I'm guess'in the lottery is a sham and you recently sold the Dodgers. I'm right, I know I'm right. We're friggen DOOMED in 2012.
edit on 1-4-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

I do agree... things have changed greatly in education and you certainly must be more careful than ever as many school systems are now far more than political as in the old days, cut throat I believe might best describe it... I have two children who teach, one at the grade school and the other at the middle school level and it appears as if Donald Trump wrote the rules at the schools. I believe the motto being taught to our children is, "if the person in your front moves not fast enough, stab them in the back and they will move from your way"..... the Donald Trump way... And yet, far too many of our children in high school currently were accessed to read at a 5th grade level. The downfall of the American school system.

HA! I would not have thought "cutthroat" would have described the climate in elementary school systems, places I thought were devoid of vetting processes, peer reviews and the holy grail of access of information. Although I suppose if it is in university why not the elementary level as well. Much of it is seems more than a little ridiculous, and yes it is a business model rather than what you would expect from an educational/research model.

Nice talking with you

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Jameela

...yes it is a business model rather than what you would expect from an educational/research model.

Therein lies the crux of every problem in every facet of life on this planet.

...Odd that those who blindly support the vaunted efficiency of business models also prattle about "values." The two are exclusive in practice, due to "profit first" legal mandates.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

HA! I would not have thought "cutthroat" would have described the climate in elementary school systems, places I thought were devoid of vetting processes, peer reviews and the holy grail of access of information. Although I suppose if it is in university why not the elementary level as well. Much of it is seems more than a little ridiculous, and yes it is a business model rather than what you would expect from an educational/research model.

Nice talking with you

Both children left the public systems more than 3 years ago and now work for private/charter schools... the insanity of the court of public opinion and our government is causing great chasms in the education systems. Schools closing, we personally know three 'school superintendents' who have retired early and or resigned due to the inability to teach the children.
Personal thought, just as our society does today, our education system could be moving towards a system which leaves the majority of children behind and promotes only the tiny % which are the cream of the crop.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

1. Krispy Kremes in the ATS breakroom.
2. Fire Carl.
3. Ninja throwing "stars".
4. Allow smoking in the upstairs breakroom at ATS Headquarters again.
5. Pay the mods! (I'm such a suck-up)
6. Bring back casual fridays. (I like typing in my boxer shorts.)
7. Provide a better dental plan.
8. Randomly switch peoples avatars.
9. Bring the TSA to the ATS lobby at HQ
10. Have a scratch n' sniff forum!

edit on 2-4-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

All excellent recommendations but unfortunately, not in the budget. However, the following is both acceptable and doable:

8. Randomly switch peoples avatars.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join