It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst floods in some time hit Fiji Islands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Well the hurricane season is almost over and we are in the middle of a disaster.
The western parts of Viti Levu has been flooded for some time now, and is still flooded, waters are rising in Central parts, situation is expected to worsen later tonight.

One tropical depression has flooded the country and gone the second one has arrived even before the floodwaters receded, a third one is right on the second ones heels and could form into a cylone.

All this just after the recent floods in January.

Fiji Village

Fiji Live

Images

Many people are saying its the worst they have seen in their lives, DISMAC, Fire and Police are trying their best to get people out of harms way, however many difficulties are faced, the first being stupidity of people, followed by washed away roads, and lack of equipment.

Three deaths have been confirmed, 3 are missing, almost 8000 people in shelters right now, and the cyclone is not even here yet, I really hope the cyclone steers away, or disintegrates, I guess I will know soon.

Fiji is a disaster prone area with mainly floods and hurricanes, but no one expected a flood so soon after the January one.
edit on 4/1/2012 by kaleshchand because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kaleshchand

Wow,not on the news here at all....I wish for no more water on your part of the world,take care and ride it out.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable
reply to post by kaleshchand

Wow,not on the news here at all....I wish for no more water on your part of the world,take care and ride it out.

I am not surprised, The main local TV here (Fiji TV) did not even show the 6pm news today and yesterday, guess they were too busy showing rugby matches, Only a 15 minute update today and 10 minute update yesterday in the whole freaking day. luckily the radio provided more timely (hourly) news and as it comes in updates. The links are also updated fairly often.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Really horrible and for the second time this year. Sadly two people have died and a number are still missing. A 29-year-old man was killed when he was washed away in his van. A 20-year-old man was killed in Ba when he was washed away by strong currents.

Kia Kaha Fiji

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Having been a constant traveller to Fiji for holidays... absolutely beautiful place, i feel sorry for these people. I see the Australian govt arent doing anything pretty quick considering there would be thousands of Aussies/NZers there at any one time.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I should be in Fiji this very moment; I left Sydney with my wife and 2yr old daughter Friday morning bound for Fiji on Jetstar flight where we had booked a 7 day visit to the main island just outside of Nadi. Approx. 1 hour out from Fiji we were told there was extensive flooding at the airport and the runway was covered in water & debris, and that we were being diverted to Noumea where we would wait briefly to find out if the airport would reopen. Upon landing we were told the plane would be refuelled and that we would be heading back to Sydney. We ended up having a 6 hour tour of the Pacific and altered holiday plans. We ended up flying to the Gold Coast rather than persisting with getting to Fiji.

We weren't to happy with the wasted time when it was happening, but now we've been able to get online and see how bad it really is we're glad we were diverted, and also very sorry for the people there - residents and visitors alike. They're great people and we've been many times over the years and have always had a wonderful experience, it's probably my favourite destination.

Anyway thought I'd contribute that bit of info, stay safe and travel well.

new topics

top topics

join