It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP reports that Santorum and Paul camps 'team up' at WA State Convention!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but it seems to me to be pretty big news!!

REPUBLICANS: Santorum, Paul camps team up

Neal wrote, “In order for us to win the nomination in Tampa in August, we must deny Romney delegates to that convention. If ... Romney receives 1,144 delegates before the national convention, it is all over for our campaign. That is the reason why the Senator himself directed us to coalition with the Ron Paul delegates to deny Romney any state delegates.”

Neal confirmed the message in a phone interview Friday, and acknowledged that the effort has split Santorum’s supporters here.

The showdown should be evident this weekend when nine counties — including Snohomish and Clark — hold conventions to elect delegates to the state GOP convention, where the national delegates will be picked in June.

There are multiple sources:

In Washington state, Santorum and Paul camps try to deny Romney delegates

Despite Mitt Romney winning Washington state's straw poll at the precinct caucuses in early March, the fight for the state's 43 delegates is still brewing.

The Rick Santorum and Ron Paul camps are teaming up to deny Romney delegates at the state convention, seemingly channeling those delegates to Santorum's turf, The Seattle Times reported Saturday.

"And the senator didn't mince words," Neal wrote. "In order for us to win the nomination in Tampa in August, we must deny Romney delegates to that convention. If ... Romney receives 1,144 delegates before the national convention, it is all over for our campaign. That is the reason why the senator himself directed us to coalition with the Ron Paul delegates to deny Romney any state delegates."

King County Republican Party Chairman Lori Sotelo called the coordination between Santorum and Paul supporters a "weird alliance" given the libertarian views of Paul, which are often at odds with Santorum.

A spokeswoman for the Paul campaign, though, said in an email they are "fully aboard" with the effort.

State Republican Party Chairman Kirby Wilbur said he's growing concerned about scheming leading to a disruptive fight at the state convention.

Seattle Times Article

I'm not sure what I think about this. I am not much of a politician, but I am trying to understand it. I can see how they want to keep Romney from getting the required number of delegates to win the top spot, but how does collaborating with Santorum accomplish this?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Very hard for me to think these two would team up.. but just assuming they did, who would go for Pres, and who VP?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
guys dont even bother entertaining this notion, it aint ever going to happen

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I don't believe this is about running together....but working together to divert the delegates.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Bumping this up to daytime hours....no one has an opinion on it? Seems like big news to me!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I have a good feeling that Ron Paul is going to pull some sneaky trick on Santorum at the conclusion of it all. They obviously have two very conflicted view-points and I don't think Paul and Santorum would team up for POTUS and VP, I think it is obvious Ron Paul is playing the much less intelligent and experienced Santorum. Ron Paul is going to win, no doubt about it.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

I'm pretty sure this is just the delegates in Washington joining forces to deny Romney delegates, nothing more. After seeing the "fake" incident, what makes you think that Paul would go anywhere near Santorum?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkinin

Yup...my thought too. Sorta like playing with the kinda mean kid in order to keep the really mean kid from becoming more popular. As soon as the benefit is over, the Paul camp will cut ties but keep the benefit.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Davian
I have a good feeling that Ron Paul is going to pull some sneaky trick on Santorum at the conclusion of it all. They obviously have two very conflicted view-points and I don't think Paul and Santorum would team up for POTUS and VP, I think it is obvious Ron Paul is playing the much less intelligent and experienced Santorum. Ron Paul is going to win, no doubt about it.

So only ron paul is allowed to play other candidates so he can win? I thought he would never ever ever ever betray himself by aligning with republicans, even if it was just to somehow attack them this way?

NO, this is nothing but two losers getting together to see how much they can win together. Only reason Newt hasn't dropped out or joined in with them, is his ego!

new topics

top topics

join