It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google's self-driving car takes blind man to Taco Bell

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
If you would like to know how this car is programmed, which makes you realise why it is safe, you can learn in a free online course. It would require a knowledge of programming and some probability, however there are now introductory and intermediate level courses available.

Professor Thrun, who is a world leader in AI and in charge of programming the google car, has started a free online university teaching Computer Science (Programming).

It all started when Prof Thrun decided to put his AI (how to program a self driving car) class online . He also allowed anyone to take the class alongside the regular (lecture) students. Over 100,000 people signed up. Even more impressive, is that of the 200 students attending lectures at the beginning, only 30 were attending by the end. The students actually proferred the online version as they could watch at thier leisure and rewind bits to hear it again. 15,000 people stayed to the end and passed the course.

He then quit his tenure at Stanford and set up Udacity.

I am just finishing CS101: Design your own search engine. The quality is excellant, by far the best course I have ever taken. It features short video segments, often with questions attached, and HWs each week to hand in. ALL can be done on the site without installing anything or buying any books. The courses are 7 weeks long and they cycle every 8 weeks.

The courses will start again on April 16th, there are 6 courses on offer now with great projects to work on teaching you the subject matter. I shall be taking CS212: The design of computer programs taught by Peter Norvig and CS253: Web application engineering in which you build your own blog site that links to a database for accounts and logins. It is taught by the owner and programmer of Reddit, Steve Huffman

I tried to learn programming before, but I found it too dry and lost interest, this course makes it so much more interesting. I feel this is going to be the future of education and am honoured to be there at the start.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
I want one.

I do a lot of driving for my job, and this technology would greatly reduce the stresses of traffic.

Sleeping in your car the whole way
while the car drive itself to your workplace
trafic or not .. you can just sleep all the way

that would be awesome

edit on 4/5/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
i wish i had one right now, i haave to be at work in an hour, and ive been up since 11 since i couldnt sleep. man ole man..

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

In short, yes I do. More so than almost any other company out there.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
I can see this tech being used by people wanting to go out and get hammered. "I'm not driving, officer - the car is."

Actually, that will make all the difference. How many thousands of lives will be saved if the cars can drive the drunks home? A lot. I live in New York City so I don't ever have to worry about that sort of thing for myself or my friends. If we drink too much, the worst that will happen is that we get sick in the back of some cab. But when I didn't live in NYC I always had to be careful about that. Always did the designated driver thing, cause, you know we were responsible. But not everyone is. With this tech, that worry is taken out of the equation.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
reply to post by Skepticesque

Revenues from DUI, speeding and myriad other violations would drop dramatically. I wonder if you would even need a license?

blind people cant have licenses ever been
to the dmv make you stick your face in
that device with the alphabets and numbers
i think had the guy not wear a seatbelt on purpose
like look im not scared

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join