It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40 Weird facts about the United States...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Here's the list:
www.yolohub.com...

25 million American adults are living with their parents and 66% of Americans are obese. That's a lot of fat people living in Mom and Dad's basement..

There are more unemployed people in America than there are people living in Greece.

There are 313 million people in the US...46 million are on food stamps.

The average US citizen drinks the equivalent of 600 sodas each year.

A lot of these are just embarrassing. Of course it's been a while since the "American Dream" was a believable concept...but this is just getting ridiculous

Also, some are pretty interesting or funny, it's worth a read
edit on 31-3-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

#31 In the United States as a whole, one out of every four children is on food stamps.

I think they made a spelling mistake, shouldn't it be "hole"?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
reply to post by Hawking

#31 In the United States as a whole, one out of every four children is on food stamps.

I think they made a spelling mistake, shouldn't it be "hole"?

Haha yeah probably

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
25- The median price of a home in the city of Detroit is now about $6000.

WOW. I thought my town was cheap at like, 80,000 homes.. 6,000?? damnn!!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

#36 More people have been diagnosed with mental disorders in the United States than in any other nation on earth.

Didn't see that one coming. *winks*

An interesting article pertinent to that fact can be found here.

In the United States every year, more than 30,000 people die by their own hand, making it the 11th leading cause of death in this country. Another million commit suicide across the globe: worldwide, it is the 14th leading cause of death. Eastern Europe (particularly Lithuania, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Hungary), Russia, and Japan have the highest rates, while Peru, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, and Israel have the lowest. The U.S. falls in the middle in its incidence of suicide.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

#24 Sadly, more than 52 percent of all children that live in Cleveland, Ohio are living in poverty.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Damn...I'm never the English nazi but today it's fallen to me to let you know that "whole" is the correct word...

As in: "The whole enchilada"
Whole mean entire
Hole means...well...a hole...like in the ground...as in "Pie-hole"

EDIT: Guess I should say something about the post...thanks! Good stuff!
edit on 1-4-2012 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
These are the ones that bother me the most.

#4 The average supermarket in the United States wastes about 3,000 pounds of food each year.

Because, by law, they're required to dispose of out of date food. Some of it would still be perfectly useable, but they cannot donate it to charities or homeless shelters. Same with restaurants.

#5 Approximately 48 percent of all Americans are currently either considered to be “low income” or are living in poverty.

#7 In the UK, an average of about $3,500 is spent on healthcare per person each year. In the United States, an average of about $8,500 is spent on healthcare per person each year.

Don't be fooled by this. If 9 people get $0 in healthcare and one person gets $85000, it still averages out to $8500 per person.

#13 For many years it was the other way around, but today a majority of all Americans (including Pat Robertson) actually support the legalization of marijuana.

#15 In the middle of the last century, the United States was #1 in the world in GDP per capita. Today, the United States is #13 in GDP per capita.

#18 In 2011, our trade deficit with China was more than 49,000 times larger than it was back in 1985.

#21 The United States puts a higher percentage of its population in prison than any other nation on earth does.

See #13.

#26 Back in 1950, more than 80 percent of all men in the United States had jobs. Today, less than 65 percent of all men in the United States have jobs.

#30 There are 313 million people living in the United States. 46 million of them are on food stamps.

#37 The United States has more government debt per capita than Greece, Portugal, Italy, Ireland or Spain.

#39 The U.S. national debt is now more than 22 times larger than it was when Jimmy Carter became president.

He served from 1977 to 1981

#40 It took from the founding of the nation until 1981 for the U.S. national debt to cross the one trillion dollar mark. Today, our national debt is well over 15 trillion dollars and we add more than a trillion dollars to our debt every single year.

Who was President in 1981? Oh, yea...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
there's simply no way some of these can be true...

"#4 The average supermarket in the United States wastes about 3,000 pounds of food each year."

that number seems extremely LOW ... i'd bet most super markets toss that much in produce and dairy a month (if not per week!)

"#9 The average U.S. citizen drinks the equivalent of more than 600 sodas each year"

^ i mean i know we americans love our soda, but that seems completely absurd. who is the sample for this survey? i'd loooooooove to find the source behind that one! that means that americans consume 189,000,000,000 (that's 189 billion) cans of soda per year??!?!?! impossible

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AJ1123TKE

I don't know, I know some people who drinking NOTHING but soda-- my mother only drinks Dr Pepper ALL day.. my old boss brought a liter of 'diet' coke to work every day to drink.. people who drink liquor often mix it with soda. My aunt-- who is very obese-- would drink like a liter or more a day.

Just a few examples, but some people are addicted.. just think about people who order fast food and get a LARGE coke with their meal.. or those who go to 7-11 and get a big gulp with soda.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by coldkidc
reply to post by superman2012

Damn...I'm never the English nazi but today it's fallen to me to let you know that "whole" is the correct word...

As in: "The whole enchilada"
Whole mean entire
Hole means...well...a hole...like in the ground...as in "Pie-hole"

Uh... don't take things too seriously here...

EDIT: Guess I should say something about the post...thanks! Good stuff!
edit on 1-4-2012 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

Oh, I get it... pun... post, hole that is America...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

Hahaha, I meant "hole". As in "void" "pit" "gap". I knew they meant "as a whole" but I figured with all those horrible facts, America is turning into a hole.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

#24 Sadly, more than 52 percent of all children that live in Cleveland, Ohio are living in poverty.

I live in a small town in NC. At my school, which has approximately 400 students, the majority are living below the poverty line. We even have families who live in their car.

There's nothing more heartbreaking than a child living in such conditions.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Maybe there wouldn't be so many fat people if they stopped putting so much crap in our foods to make it safe for consumption.

Ten to twenty years ago, or more, there weren't so many fat people. Now there is.

Stop putting crap in our food.

top topics

join