It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Google Maps Update! Amazing!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Ahhhahaha

I hate google, and I still hate them, but that was funny

lol

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet
Ooo I don't like it!
I'm sorry I don't see any improvement
Looks like a light brite toy filled with green pegs on my screen.

Umm, that is how it is supposed to look from up there. If you could actually fly, when you look down that is what it would look like.

The only reason it was different before, is because google air brushed out all the trees and used fake cgi streetmap imagery.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

I really hope that the people who are looking at normal google maps and thinking it's a lot better and NOT getting the 4-1 joke are really pulling a bigger joke by pretending only to be like that.

I'd feel sad if it wasn't the case

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Ahhh now it is working on regular computer with Google Chrome....that's so cute!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
How the hell does a private company map the world down to a street address to as far out as Calcutta, India?,

A private company wouldn't or couldn't afford it - I mean its not rocket science - it's the godamn US Goverment that has the ability to do it & thats about it...imo

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Okay, I got this cropped and saved. It shows what i'm talking about if this doesn't last long. I'd also direct people's attention to the sights sitting on the Nellis AFB Tarmac and the Edwards main taxiways.
I wasn't aware we still had B-1b Lancer Bombers in active use...but one image this evening had two in a service area of Edwards and when one of those little quirks I've been having with Google maps tonight happened, Edwards images were different and they weren't there...but 3 with the same paint scheme as those first two were on the north end of the Nellis base.

I don't know what that cartoon thing is..I loaded it but it looked like a jumble of graphics a little brighter than was comfortable in a room with low light. Is it supposed to do something aside from show some interesting 'easter eggs' of graphics they threw in? It's the staggering difference in the places I just happened to be loading last night vs. what I am seeing tonight that I'm looking at..

I've been taking directories of save shots for my personal collection if the areas with this striking level of detail don't last long...but that is one to show how it looks like a plane at a few hundred feet overhead...in a way I've never seen Google Maps before.

edit on 1-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
google april fools joke

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   

This is an April Fool's joke.

It has no place in this forum.

Some of us would like to avoid such jokes.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

This is an April Fool's joke.

It has no place in this forum.

Some of us would like to avoid such jokes.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Then dont read the Joke, Prank and Pun forums?

I wont look in your underwear drawer and complain about skidmarks, if you promise to make sure not to put your underwear drawer in the fridge, ok?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24
How the hell does a private company map the world down to a street address to as far out as Calcutta, India?,

A private company wouldn't or couldn't afford it - I mean its not rocket science - it's the godamn US Goverment that has the ability to do it & thats about it...imo

IKR!!

India, the last place they'd have interweb and camroas!!!

it's just everyone is a retarded if they fall for it I know !!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit..
Dude... Forgive me if I'm falling for it...
I don't mean to

But for the sake of others, I will explain to you that the image you posted is 100% fine for google maps. Absolutely nothing odd there. It's not even new. I bet should you load google earth and find that same location, you'd be able to use the timeline and go back to the previous data where that image would be low res and just shocking.

Those cars, that scene, that image... google earth/maps has been like that since it started. It's just updating new areas with the same level of quality.

You can go to certain areas and scroll back to the 1950's. I kid you not. Historical data is there, along with any new layers that contain NEW data.

Now I'll go back to thinking you as a chipper bunny with a smirk while you ponder "Ahhhahahhaa Mainidh is the only sucker I got!!!".. I'll cop it

just to save some poor soul who thinks what he's looking at is .. well what the OP intended but for different reasons.. lmao

Cheers, big ears!!!

PS: this is why google should stick to just botting the web. they're too good at lies, and pranks. No one knows anymore, the difference. lol

edit on 1-4-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Cool dude thanks. I didn't like the street view but the other view was awesome!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Okay.. I was remarking on this because I have, absolutely, seen new imagery and it came online into Google in the last 24 hours. You might have missed that I was up most of the night populating a web directory with static map images with satellite overheads for easy reference. My audience should really appreciate that touch. In doing that, I ran off to reload one of the same locations last night that I had loaded and disk saved the night before.

Sure enough, the image date is March 2012, not the older 2011 or 2010 images, the angle was different and in the specific example I looked at first...I could read the marquee of the theater with a show from the recent past. Additionally, the image the night before last and a year earlier in date stamp was blurry and fuzzy with absolutely nothing like enough detail to make out oil stains on the blacktop. Sure enough... As you can see, that is now there.

In another example, specifically, the conservation area north of here with extensive shooting facilities was one I spent a good 30 minutes screwing with and trying to overcome the quality issues with 2 nights ago. Last night, that new dated imagery gave me images far better than anything I was getting with my playing around.

So... Again.. I'm kinda lost on this cartoony "quest" mode thing they added and seems to be the April Fools Day thing. I was referring to something directly to the image quality and I suppose update timing for their map data just happened to coincide because an update definitely happened.

Oh....the other thing that would make this timed and dated pretty clearly is not only the sharp detail...but the advanced stages of cleanup/rebuilding evident in Joplin. That also wasn't there in that stage the night before. I'd been pulling overheads of the Truck Stops and DOT scales there the night before for that area of my little directory....it all updated as well.

So...Google is definitely worth looking at again for anyone who hasn't been there in awhile.... Not everything updated for images, but what did?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Did anyone GOOGLE MAP Groom Lake? Is area 51 Expanding? WHATS THIS?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

edit on 4/1/1212 by Hawkeyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawkeyes

Area 51 has alot more detail now! I hope they don't blur anything out till i get a chance to save pictures for my collection. Also notice that there is greater detail in google earth of Area 51 then in Google maps

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Heres the same picture from GOOGLE EARTH way more detail. BUNKER?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Wow Kdog now that's cool. Thanks for the post.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
isnt it sweet that we can see our cars parked in our drive way.... so we have satelites that can see through the distortion of the atmosphere... yet we cant get a close up of the moon.... what crap

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawkeyes

Certainly is an owl.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
You guys really have no history in video games!

The map is made like Dragon Warrior, known as Dragon Quest in Japan.
Although, I don't seem to have access to what the OP is saying about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join