It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now that mowing season is here,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I've been thinking of buying a new zero turn mower.

I think I've narrowed my choice down to a certain brand and model, (Can I say which one?)

But I'd still like to know if there are any to definitely stay away from.

Or if there are any with an exceptional bang for the buck factor...

I have about 1.5 acres of hilly terrain with lots of trees.

As far as price is concerned?

I'll look into all suggestions.

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Do you read Consumer Reports? They test different items, then report which brand performed the best.

If you don't have a subscription, try your local library. Some libraries carry it.

Good luck with your mower!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Zero turn!?! I am green with envy! No pun intended.

We are on 2.5 acres here and have had a JohnDeere for about 6 years now. I love it. My husband and I actually argue over who gets to mow!
Deers are pricey, but you get what you pay for, right?
My 2cents

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I own a lco (lawn care operation) in eastern nc. I have tried many mowers and i personally like the snapper 48 inch cut. Downfall is they like their product so much that they dont let aftermarket parts into their world. Nicely priced and last a long time. We had 1500 hours on ours begfore any major work needed done. Thats using it EVERYDAY mind you. Kedep oil; changed air filter cleaned hydraulic fuel filled and cleaned and most important grease those fittings on the regular.
ps stay away from bobcat- after 52 inches they tend to scalp badly.-scags too. Dixon nice looking but inferior parts and crappy warranty. ex mark or kubota is great second choice. grass hopper and dixie chopper are the caddilacs of lawn mowing. If you can affoed it, look into these they have attachments to be added to there mowers. edgers stringtrimmers blowers blades,plows,rakes etc.,etc.
Good luck any more help email me at earthart69@gmail.com. Any lawn shrubbery irrigation pavers,walls,ponds etc. questions i will be glad to answer or try.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
X mark is the best for commercial use, then scag..IMO.($8k to $12k) I drive both and last a long time.
The Deere is okay for smaller home use and way cheaper than the above.
Weed whackers, I like echo. Stihl aren't bad, harder to string

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by IrVulture

Have a look at the bobcat mowers, their cutting decks are 6mm thick instead of the usual 4mm found on other mowers.

Fast too...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by earthart

Thanks for your input!

I know what you mean about snappers..

I'll check them out.

I've been looking at a new Toro 5060,

And I just found a 2003 Cub Cadet M48 Tank that almost looks new with only 500 hours on it for less than 3k..

They seem to get good reviews, and I don't mind buying used...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Update! (If anybody cares)

For the record, I bought a Toro Timecutter 5060.

Awesome machine! 3 blade 50" deck and a 23hp Kawasaki V-Twin...

Blasted through 2 weeks of growth like nothing was there, with no clumping, couldn't even find any clippings!

Used a lot less gas than my antiquated 1988 Murray lawn tractor too!

Dealer said they've been selling like hotcakes, and I can see why!

new topics

top topics

join