It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fringe Takes on Conspiracies, 2012, NWO, and Genetic Mutations all in one episode!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

We saw a spider leg and a rattlesnake tail protruding between the bars of cages, as well as a squid thing squirting through an aquarium jail. All of them were presumably human beings once – the latest members of an ancient cult known by a Sumerian tat and organized around the principle of guided evolution. (Were these abominable critters call-backs to other Fringe freaks, too? Many readers say: Yes.)

Fringe just pumped in major mythology into what's shaping up to be a shaky campaign to renew the series for a fifth season. I was beginning to jump the shark on this show, since nothing was really happening and it was getting quite boring/confusing or I just didnt care.

However, now things really got more interesting!

Call these extreme science whackjobs: The Next People. Their motivation: To become gods.[They are conspiracy theorists who would volunteer their bodies in the name of "evolution"] Or maybe they just want to morph into cockroach-tough genetic constructs capable of surviving the catastrophic extinction event that is imminent. (It is the year 2012, after all. The year that the Mayan celestial ship emerges in the heart of the galaxy, turns into a bearded snake, and gives us all enlightenment. OR EATS US.) Their new leader: David Robert Jones, of course. Only the brainiac with the David Bowie name could be behind something so spacey and odd.

tvrecaps.ew.com...
edit on 31-3-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

I too thought last night's episode was kind of unique. I liked the Sumerian angle and the premise that as we humans pursue our own destinies, we will at some point alter our genetics to be more god-like. It kind of made sense in a sci-fi fantasy(?) way. Surely some interesting innovations and ambitions are right around the corner considering this subject of genetic manipulation, especially on a personal level.
Was that the last episode for the season? I have heard the show may end

But yea, that final scene with the creatures on the boat left me wondering. I would be willing to bet that something like this(testing) is already occurring.

These threads Get Ready For A New Species and The Art Of Transhumanism some may find tantalizing. It deals with merging with technology though, which makes me wonder which direction will trump, pure genetic manipulation or symbiotic machinery implementation?

Here is a LINK to watch the show online. Putlocker is a good choice.

Peace,
spec
edit on 31-3-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

We saw a spider leg and a rattlesnake tail protruding between the bars of cages, as well as a squid thing squirting through an aquarium jail. All of them were presumably human beings once – the latest members of an ancient cult known by a Sumerian tat and organized around the principle of guided evolution. (Were these abominable critters call-backs to other Fringe freaks, too? Many readers say: Yes.)

Sounds like the reviewer didn't watch much in the way of season one or two of the show. The "rattlesnake tail" was the chimera from "Unleashed" (S1E16) and the "squid thing" was one of the enlarged hookworms from "Snakehead" (S2E09), neither of which started out as human.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

They're finishing out the fourth season -- six more episodes, I think -- but they haven't been officially picked up for a fifth.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Wow, there are seven whole eps left. I can't wait to see what's coming next! It's a very intriguing plot twist. I wanted to get this info out there so that more people would tune in.

Here are the ep titles coming...

"Nothing As It Seems" March 30, 2012
8"Everything In Its Right Place" April 6, 2012
"The Consultant" April 13, 2012
"Letters of Transit" April 20, 2012
"Worlds Apart"[106] April 27, 2012
"Endgame (Part 1)" May 4, 2012
"Endgame (Part 2)"

*Courtesy of Wikipedia
This season has been a snooze, since I hate relationship stuff, there's too much of that on TV. And Mulder's and Scully's were more generic not romantic. I always thought peter/olivia relationship was crap. Why would she fall for Peter when she fell for her last partner? She is not an agent with good morals!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by iterationzero

They're finishing out the fourth season -- six more episodes, I think -- but they haven't been officially picked up for a fifth.

The only reason, it's still on the air is that Fox's head execs love it.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
So do you all think the original Olivia and Walter are gone? Was that an alternative universe that is no longer part of the show? I really dug the "observer' part that Peter discovered. Those guys remind me of "Q" from STNG, except I think they are more alternative dimensional oriented.

The only reason, it's still on the air is that Fox's head execs love it.

I am glad someone loves it. I think the cast and their chemistry are really good, and of course the writing keeps me entertained. I guess some people do not like following multiple plots.
edit on 31-3-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
So do you all think the original Olivia and Walter are gone? Was that an alternative universe that is no longer part of the show? I really dug the "observer' part that Peter discovered. Those guys remind me of "Q" from STNG, except I think they are more alternative dimensional oriented.

I had a theory that Peter is September and Vice Versa from the future. September said he was from the future. And Observers are not supposed to take special interest in cases but September has shown almost an obsession with Peter and he looks somewhat like him. and with all that's happened and the universes colliding, and "returning to normal" Whatever that is on fringe...It still holds some water

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Didn't the observers say they were us in the future, or am I getting my sci-fi shows mixed up?
That would be interesting though, Peter and September as one.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

Didn't the observers say they were us in the future, or am I getting my sci-fi shows mixed up?
That would be interesting though, Peter and September as one.

If that is not the answer, I do not know what is because I cannot think of another reason why September would pay much attention to Peter anyway..

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I was thinking that becasue September's plan for multi-deminsional repairs failed, he realized Peter was special and did/could not equate him with/into normal people and occurences. But, I can see your pov too. Heck anything can kind of make sense at the fringe edges of reality I suppose.

Looking forward to more, and Walter is my fav character for sure.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

This season has been a snooze, since I hate relationship stuff, there's too much of that on TV.

I'll grant that it started off slow with the whole "Return of Peter" plot, but I think it really picked up after the first break, between episodes 8 and 9, if I remember right.

And Mulder's and Scully's were more generic not romantic. I always thought peter/olivia relationship was crap.

As far as the relationship between Olivia and Peter, I think it works well and the two actors actually have some good on screen chemistry. Their relationship has obviously been part of the mythos of the show since day one, as opposed to Mulder and Scully's which was slowly and painfully written into the show over time to please the fans.

Why would she fall for Peter when she fell for her last partner? She is not an agent with good morals!

You seem to be saying that a person can't fall in love more than once in their life, particularly when their first love is dead.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

So do you all think the original Olivia and Walter are gone?

This is a spoiler if you haven't been keeping up with the show, but they revealed two episodes ago that the current Universe is the original Universe -- that the Olivia we see now is the "real" Olivia, that she's Peter's Olivia -- just with the timeline messed around a bit due to Peter erasing himself from existence.

Was that an alternative universe that is no longer part of the show?

Nope, same Universe with a rewritten timeline. Granted, I'm no experts on the semantics of time travel, so maybe in the parlance you'd have the following:

Universe Blue' -- "Our Universe", the Universe the bulk of the show was in for the first three seasons.
Universe Red' -- "Over There", the Universe of Walternate and Fauxlivia that we were first really exposed to in the second season
Universe Blue'' -- "Our Universe" with the timeline rewritten, has "overwritten" the existence of Blue' due to Peter entering the Machine
Universe Red'' -- "Over There" with the timeline rewritten, has "overwritten" the existence of Red' due to Peter entering the Machine

The creators of the show went out of their way to state that the show wasn't being rebooted after season three and that we could expect the return of the major players we know. When you think about it, this has happened -- Olivia has her memories back, Walter seems to genuinely accept Peter and has become less of a recluse since the start of Blue'', and Astrid is back to being the oddly compelling background character she's always been instead of just Walter's eyes and ears.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

You seem to be saying that a person can't fall in love more than once in their life, particularly when their first love is dead.

I'm not saying she can't fall in love, just with peter? I mean the choice was so obviously stupid and not needed. Real FBI agent cannot fall in love with their partners. Broyles has to know about them,

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I had a theory that Peter is September and Vice Versa from the future. September said he was from the future. And Observers are not supposed to take special interest in cases but September has shown almost an obsession with Peter and he looks somewhat like him. and with all that's happened and the universes colliding, and "returning to normal" Whatever that is on fringe...It still holds some water

Before The End of All Things, I had a similar thought. Mine was more along the lines that Peter would become one of the Observers at some point, but still the same theme.

But then September explained in that it's not so much Peter and Olivia that the Observers are concerned with, it's their son, who would never be born based on the original timeline. When September accidentally distracted Walternate from finding the cure for Peter's disease, he precipitated the war between the two Universes, which in turn led to the birth of Henry -- Peter and Fauxlivia's son -- who would somehow disrupt future events in a cataclysmic way. September allowed Peter to enter the Machine and erase his existence just to prevent the birth of Henry.
edit on 31/3/2012 by iterationzero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I'm not saying she can't fall in love, just with peter? I mean the choice was so obviously stupid and not needed.

I disagree. From my perspective, Peter grew a hell of a lot over the first two seasons as a person. He went from being a scared thirtysomething year old boy, always running from things, to someone that would take a stand and do what was right, whatever the risk to himself.

Real FBI agent cannot fall in love with their partners.

They're not supposed to, but it happens. Same with the military, fraternization is heavily frowned upon but I've had more than one friend in the US armed forces marry someone they shouldn't even have been dating in the first place.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

You cannot forget the religious significance either. Henry = Jesus anybody? But then maybe whoever orchestrated that plan was not ready to let the child be born. Second coming...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
the series?

awesome

alt dimensions & tt too

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
One of my favorite shows of all time and I will be pissed when it's over. I love how it makes me think and wonder about things. I like the Peter & Olivia love angle, it gives the show more credibility in my book.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I started off absolutely loving Fringe, it was one of the few shows I would turn the lights off sit down and really watch. Somewhere early on this season it became one of the shows I have on in the background when I'm online or doing various other things. I still like it but I'm not sure what changed for me, that being said I hope it gets renewed for at least another season.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join