It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I know God exists for a fact now.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Iason321

That was a great quote. It reminds me of this one as well from the Midrash:

Future bliss can neither be imagined, explained, or described. We know nothing of its nature, form, greatness, or beauty, its quantity or quality. This much one should know, the phrase עולם הבא, 'the world to come' does not imply that it is a world yet to be called into existence; it exists already, but the phrase is employed to describe the life into which those who are in the present stage of existence will be transposed when they throw off this mortal coil.--Tanchum. Vayikra.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Uhh, why would you have to relinquish your free will and critical thinking? Both of those are permitted and encouraged by God. Force yourself to believe it? Don't force yourself, and don't let anyone else "force" you. I'm not going to be cliche and say "just have faith" - find the proof. Do you believe Jesus existed at all (irregardless if you think he was just a man or not)?

Ask yourself if you believe if Jesus existed at all, and we'll go from there.

Secondly, it isn't to say Demons don't care about non-believers either, but if you want any chance of surviving in the LONG run, then some persecution now pays off later.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Good stuff Enochwasright and Lionheart.

The Christ is showing His presence through you in a glorious manner!

Bless you

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

Uhh, why would you have to relinquish your free will and critical thinking? Both of those are permitted and encouraged by God. Force yourself to believe it? Don't force yourself, and don't let anyone else "force" you. I'm not going to be cliche and say "just have faith" - find the proof. Do you believe Jesus existed at all (irregardless if you think he was just a man or not)?

Ask yourself if you believe if Jesus existed at all, and we'll go from there.

Secondly, it isn't to say Demons don't care about non-believers either, but if you want any chance of surviving in the LONG run, then some persecution now pays off later.

What do you mean "if you want any chance of surviving in the LONG run?" Does the devil kill off Christians that haven't worked out and built up resistance?

Christianity completely goes against all rational thought. The fact that Christians preach about salvation from hell, only if one believes in some vapid argument about believing in Jesus, invalidates my free will.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

What we speak is nonsense to the nonbelievers.

Thanks for helping confirm my faith.

May the Lord continue to bless you (though you know not what He does)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321

What we speak is nonsense to the nonbelievers.

Thanks for helping confirm my faith.

May the Lord continue to bless you (though you know not what He does)

Yup:

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

1 Cor. 1:18

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

No, this life is but a puff of smoke compared to Eternity, and as it is said, in Mark 8:35 - For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it.

Gather your treasures, your good name, your supposed "good deeds" here in the World, and the World will love you.. and if you die in your SIN (note, singular), you will be judge accordingly.

Store up your treasures in Heaven, and sacrifice your life - through love, by carrying the Cross (meaning serving others, you don't have to "die"); and believing in Christ (that's the MAIN thing) - so that your SIN is covered (singular, because the Sin I am speaking about is disbelief in Christ), and you will live forever.

reply to post by Iason321

reply to post by NOTurTypical

Indeed. Though, isn't it odd? Such a simple "prophecy", such a simple statement - yet it's true. If Atheists today fully believe what we taught, I would question the validity of the Bible.

Hell, if Israel ever loses a war and is defeated - I would renounce my faith

edit on 31-3-2012 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
Or, maybe you've finally decided to take the path of least resistance and find yourself happier and more content, and call it god.

Lord knows the Christians on this site don't need more encouragement to proselytize to us unbelievers.

"Or, maybe you've finally decided to take the path of least resistance and find yourself happier and more content, and call it god. "

Or? What's the difference.. i don't get it. Your statement implies you are offering some alternative understanding.. but stops short of stating it. I don't get it.

He's not calling his happiness God. His experience was one of asking for help and receiving it. He calls the source of the help God. Maybe what you are trying to do is suggest a different word.. What word should he use or is it more complicated?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

No, this life is but a puff of smoke compared to Eternity, and as it is said, in Mark 8:35 - For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it.

Gather your treasures, your good name, your supposed "good deeds" here in the World, and the World will love you.. and if you die in your SIN (note, singular), you will be judge accordingly.

Store up your treasures in Heaven, and sacrifice your life - through love, by carrying the Cross (meaning serving others, you don't have to "die"); and believing in Christ (that's the MAIN thing) - so that your SIN is covered (singular, because the Sin I am speaking about is disbelief in Christ), and you will live forever.

So, not believing in your god, Jesus, is a sin. Even though this belief system defies my sense of logic and critical thinking, I must abandon my senses and my free will to believe what is real to me. I must now FORCE myself to believe something I don't/can't believe, or I will perish forever.

How irresponsible to promote that one have no care for this world! This is the mentality that leads to a lack of respect for life and the well being of future generations. This the mentality that leads to war and murder and a disregard for innocent individuals, that you Christians pretend to care so much about.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
reply to post by boncho

I believe in the science of evolution... alot of the populous is already speaking English in Saudi Arabia, it's the international language of business.

Evolution is not science. It's a simple observation. Things change over time. Darwin's THEORY of evolution (random mutations) has long been outgrown. Randomness doesn't exist. Epigenetics.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh

Or, maybe you've finally decided to take the path of least resistance and find yourself happier and more content, and call it god.

Lord knows the Christians on this site don't need more encouragement to proselytize to us unbelievers.

"Or, maybe you've finally decided to take the path of least resistance and find yourself happier and more content, and call it god. "

Or? What's the difference.. i don't get it. Your statement implies you are offering some alternative understanding.. but stops short of stating it. I don't get it.

He's not calling his happiness God. His experience was one of asking for help and receiving it. He calls the source of the help God. Maybe what you are trying to do is suggest a different word.. What word should he use or is it more complicated?

Well, the OP stated this;

you have to trust me on this there is no doubt God has answered my cries for help now I have decided that I believe in God

It's easy to say god did this, or didn't do that. Adjusting our own reactions to our experiences, deciding to take control of ones emotions, and thereby regaining some semblance of control in ones life, requires self determination.

The OP is attributing his happiness to god. Expecting god to get it together for you isn't a lasting cure. Happiness isn't a gift, its a state of mind that needs constant vigil.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

So, not believing in your god, Jesus, is a sin.
The only unforgivable Sin.

Even though this belief system defies my sense of logic and critical thinking, I must abandon my senses and my free will to believe what is real to me.
Your sense. Obviously I consider my belief MY sense of logic and critical thinking, and you consider YOUR belief "logical and critically thinking". This is an unfalsifiable claim on your part. I don't make such a claim because you don't know what I know, because you don't know what it's like to be a Christian, but I know what it's like to have been a non-believer.

I must now FORCE myself to believe something I don't/can't believe, or I will perish forever.

If you're in a burning house, and some guy runs in and says "You need to get out of here! There's a fire down stairs and it'll be here soon!" Are you going to sit there and say "No, I am not going to FORCE myself to believe there's a fire downstairs. I won't believe it."

Your funeral, buddy.

How irresponsible to promote that one have no care for this world! This is the mentality that leads to a lack of respect for life and the well being of future generations. This the mentality that leads to war and murder and a disregard for innocent individuals, that you Christians pretend to care so much about.
No care for this world? What are you talking about? I care about this world, because it is perishing. I love sinners, I just hate the sin. WITHOUT this kind of mentality, people WOULD start wars and cause pain and suffering upon others, for they have no love for them.

"Pretend" to care for them? Good sir, if I didn't care, I wouldn't be talking to you right now.

Oh lovely, Hitchens. He's always a laugh. Basically, if I'm hearing him correctly; he finds it REVOLTING that a man can take upon the Sin of the world, and wash it all away and take with it the RESPONSIBILITY of Sin? Wrong.

God HIMSELF became flesh to live as a Human would to fulfill the law and testify to the Truth. All that is done with Christianity is that those who BELIEVE in HIM are forgiven of all their sins. That's basic Christianity 101. However, the RESPONSIBILITY OF SIN is NOT removed.

God will not punish a man for his Sins on this Earth - if he dies in Sin (not believing in Christ) then he will be separated from God - this is known as the Abyss (or Hell), it is simply the absence of God - if God is love, peace, joy, happiness; then the Abyss is misery, sorrow, void, death.

Back to the point - God does not punish a man for his Sins (on Earth), but for believers and non-believers alike, Sin catches up to you. The reason God condemns Sins is because it KILLS. It DESTROYS. It breaks TRUST. It RUINS. If I were to lie to someone, and my sin catches up to me and I'm found out, that breaks trust. Will I go to Heaven? Yes, because I am forgiven. Will I have a hard time here on Earth? Yes, because I'm a sinner.

I could sit here and explain it piece by piece, but I doubt you will listen. To those who believe, no proof is necessary. To those who don't believe, no proof is enough.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
LOL.

You follow the word of a man who is dead and wormfood now (Hitchens), over the Almighty God!!!

Ohhhh the wisdom of atheists!!!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by michael1983l

You seem very intent on trying to trip me up of which you will not do.

You've already been tripped up as you said a 'belief in science' or something along those lines was causing you grief, and also stating that you don't subscribe to ancient religious lore.

You attribute all recent positive things in your life to God's will, in a sense. Yet you don't address that a change in personality (Whether it be from a belief in God, or a bump in the head).

There are plenty of people who do not believe in God, who are happy and healthy, successful and kind. Therefore I do not see it a necessity to believe in God. In fact, it seems like some people are only able to achieve some of these things by conditioning themselves for this belief.

If God was an interventionist, there would be lots and lots of changes taking place. So why only change some people and not others? Why is it when something good happens it's God's will, and something bad happens it's God's mysterious way of teaching someone something.

Speculating on God, I find it much more likely that humans or the universe to be created in some fashion and will probably never be affected by the creator ever again, or perhaps they will but in a different sense than most would suspect.

What are you so confused about? The guy had an experience and explained it fairly well. The source of the experience is what he is calling 'God'. Is there a more scientific word you'd prefer he use? The end result is exactly the same. Pick your word. Placebo? Is that scientific? What is the difference? What is your hang up with the word? Should he put a lab coat on and disassociate all emotion from his experience so that it can be properly evaluated? He had an emotional experience. Is your suggestion that he not be grateful to the source of the experience for the sake of scientific validation? Let it go.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

in our species, at this point... randomness does not.

good call but we can still use the term evolution or evolve to express alot of thing like how a language changes and gets more complex ect.

edit on 1-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

"It's easy to say god did this, or didn't do that. Adjusting our own reactions to our experiences, deciding to take control of ones emotions, and thereby regaining some semblance of control in ones life, requires self determination.

The OP is attributing his happiness to god. Expecting god to get it together for you isn't a lasting cure. Happiness isn't a gift, its a state of mind that needs constant vigil."

First off, i am not a christian in whatever context you believe them to be. Nor do i believe in the God you are talking about. But i will insist the word God serves it's meaning quite well.

It's really easy to say God didn't do this or God didn't do that when the God you are declaring didn't do things doesn't exist. Your idea of God is a fantasy that exists in YOUR mind. Re-read that just to be sure you understand. What i am saying is, you don't understand the meaning behind HIS use of the word God. You certainly think you do. But you really don't have a clue. That is all you are demonstrating by what you are saying.

Is self determination a fail safe method to experience happiness 100% of the time? How's it working for you? Or is it really just a crutch to apply to the scary idea that you are actually completely out of control? Are you happy 100% of the time? If not than why? Is self determination a false belief? is it possible to be self determined to rely on God to pull you through any hardships in life?

I'm not suggesting you force yourself to believe in things that you don't believe. I would recommend exploring your own beliefs before attacking beliefs you BELIEVE others to have. Just ask yourself what you believe and be honest about the foundation of those beliefs. You have a belief about the way your life works and how you work with your life. But what is the source of those beliefs? Some science hand book?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
reply to post by rwfresh

in our species, at this point... randomness does not.

good call but we can still use the term evolution or evolve to express alot of thing like how a language changes and gets more complex ect.

edit on 1-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

Randomness does not exist at all. Not just in biological systems. It doesn't exist period. Interesting eh?

Evolution does exist. It existed before Darwin. It's a good word:

"The gradual development of something, esp. from a simple to a more complex form."

Darwin's theory stated that randomness is the fundamental source of that change in biological systems. Which we now know to be false. Evolution is not false. But people hold onto this theory and have incorrectly applied an out dated theory to the entire material existence.

I think it's funny when people fight over Darwin's theory of evolution being taught in school.. Forget all the religious crap! WHY would you teach a child something no real scientist believes in? hahahah. Just goes to show you the IDIOTIC dogma associated with mainstream science. It's as bad as any religion.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
So it was physically impossible for you to achieve all these things without believing in God?

physically, maybe for the guy, but mentally he was in bad shape.

if you stitch a wound and it heals fine, as it otherwise wouldn't, are you going to claim after that stitches don't exist.

his wounds to his spirit, where grave, God healed them so he can function.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

LOL. Not believing the Jesus story is the only unforgivable sin. What happened to free will. Your version is "my way or the highway." My free will doesn't allow me to believe these things. I can't.

I was raised in an Assembly of God household. Our preacher, Brother Bibler, I kid you not, yelled and spit and pranced around the stage in a sweaty fit, preaching of hell fire and damnation, and I ate every word up. I went to "Jesus Camp", and spoke in tongues, I prayed and cried and begged Jesus to bless me. Many times I got sent to the principal's office at school, for preaching about Jesus' love, his sacrifice on the cross and all about hell for not believing me.

I went to Tuesday night bible study, Wednesday night prayer group, Friday night youth group, Saturday choir practice and 3 meetings on Sunday. I set up a mini church in my basement, so that I could preach to my neighborhood friends. They never came.

I know all about what its like to be a Christian. Do you know how good it feels to be free from all that fear and judgment and superstitious nonsense. Like I've been born again!

Stitchen's point is, Christianity attempts to portray a crucifixion event as a human sacrifice ordained by god. That is immoral and disgusting.

Jesus asks people to leave their family's, commitments, leave their lives behind and follow him to the afterlife. What a bunch of kool aid drinking dead beats.
edit on 1-4-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
LOL.

You follow the word of a man who is dead and wormfood now (Hitchens), over the Almighty God!!!

Ohhhh the wisdom of atheists!!!

Jesus is worm food too.

I don't know anything about "The Almighty God" giving me "word." If you read my posts you would see that you exemplify my claims that Christians think if you don't believe in their version of god, you an atheist. Not true.
edit on 1-4-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join