It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientific study recommends bringing dogs to the workplace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Scientific study recommends bringing dogs to the workplace

A scientific study by a renowned professor has indicated
that a dog's presence in the workplace is good for morale
and even increases productivity.

By Agence France-Presse
Friday, March 30, 2012 20:51 EDT
The Raw Story

WASHINGTON — Employers looking to ramp up productivity in these dog-eat-dog times might consider letting their staff bring Fido to the office, a scientific study published Friday suggests.

Dogs at work can not only bring down stress levels among their owners, but they can also help make work more satisfying for other employees as well, according to the study in the latest issue of the International Journal of Workplace Health Management.

cited example

For a week, the researchers monitored day-shift staff at Replacements Ltd., which sells dinnerware from a fast-paced facility in Greensboro, North Carolina that is the size of seven American football fields.

For more than 15 years, Replacements has allowed its 550-odd employees to bring their dogs to work.

Now, for the most IRONIC part of the whole story !! .....
The NAME of the professor IS .....

“The bottom line is that dogs in the workplace can make a positive difference,” said professor Randolph Barker of Virginia Commonwealth University’s business school, who led the five-member research team.

“They may in fact be a great buffer to the impact of stress” on productivity, absenteeism and employee morale, Barker told AFP in a telephone interview from Richmond, Virginia.

It must be Dogmatic !

edit on Mar-31-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
One of the Reasons that I love my Job,,, working in the Veterinary Field..

Can Always Bring my dog to work,,,
and if I don't,,,, there will be more than One there anyway,,,,
and Kitty Cats too.....

If I didn't have to deal with the occasional nutcase,,, who shouldn't own a pet,,, much less have children,,, my job would be 100% perfect even with the pay being what it is..

and that is with a triple AAA type personality Boss....

says alot about being around animals.....love it.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I work with dogs and some cats. I love it!

I am just a bather at a grooming shop, my good friend is the groomer.

I was laid off right after Christmas and was bored out of my mind looking for work. Work here is limited but my friend needed a new bather and I had been to where she works many times. I didn't have to think twice.

I enjoy it very much. The dogs are all sweet even the ones who get grumpy are sweet. I just talk to them and make them feel comfortable if they get grumpy. It helps them and they help put me in a good mood. I have to make sure they are comfortable so I can't be all grumpy....I don't know how i could ever be grumpy at work. I get kisses all day
The dogs are too sweet and the elderly people who own the dogs are just as sweet. Plus working with my friend is great. She is a really sweet person and great to work with. She is alot like me when it comes to work ethics which is why I knew I could work with her.

I don't have a dog but i have a cat, we just got her.
I am able to bring her to work if need be. There is a boarding area she can be kept in if I have to take her with me. I will probably only bring her on days I need to bathe or have her groomed. My friend has to trim her since I am not yet trained in that skill.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I had the opportunity to visit Sweden after high school. There were dogs everywhere. At the banks, they would sleep on the floor under the tellers feet. At restaurants, they would wait tables with the waiters. They were in jewelry stores, museums, shopping malls, everywhere.

And the people seemed so much calmer and happier than their counterparts in the States.

I think this is a great idea.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'd love to take my dog to work, but it's too dangerous and noisy...

She'd be a nervous wreck by the end of the day...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
There's a store in NC called Replacements Unlimited (I think). Anyway, they sell discontinued and hard to find china, tableware, figurines, etc.

When I entered that store I felt really nervous. Breakable stuff everywhere and I can be very clumsy. Then I noticed a huge German Shephard following a clerk. That was a really well behaved dog to be in a china store.

There's something so welcoming about animals. Maybe it's that they never judge, but I don't know.

I was taking a human development course and we'd got to the part about death. So our assignment was to visit a couple nursing homes. I know, that was a freaky assignment.

Anyway, I visited two homes. Totally different atmosphere. In one home, the residents were smiling, interacting with each other. In the other, they were basically sad lumps.

I'm not contending this was the only factor involved, but in the "happier" home, there were three cats who lived there. The cats basically went from lap to lap, purring the whole time. I really think the prescence of the animals was a major factor in the difference.

new topics

top topics

join