It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does in God’s image mean? He created Adam & Eve without a moral sense.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

You are suggesting that all Christians are free from bigotry?

Depends on the definition of Christian. If you include into the definition everyone and everything that someone decides to place the label, Christian on, then no.
If you were to narrow the question to include only those who are following the true path as laid out by Christianity's founder, Jesus, then yes.

I have dropped the term, omnipotent, from my personal definition of God.
I would not adopt a term like omni-benevolent into my definition, either.
I don't see a set of rules over God, and I believe He just behaves according to what is in His nature to do, meaning He is not prompted into action by anything from outside of Him, as in forcing his hand. That does not mean we should not ask God for help, but we should keep in mind that He is under no obligation to do anything which He does not think is for the best, in general. If that seems, harsh, then to me for Him to do otherwise truly would be evil.
edit on 1-4-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Good answer, I hope I don't get too off topic with this. What would you figure the percentage of "false Christians" is to true Christians? Regardless, I would say that even some of the most moral people in the world are guilty of bigotry to some extent, even if their ego doesn't revolve around them feeling better about themselves. I don't think what I said is an oxymoron, but that is largely subjective I guess.

Shouldn't your religion be expelling people who aren't true Christians instead of inviting anyone of any character into it and contributing to it's corruption? What does "accepting jesus into your heart" have to do with being a good person? I don't think it accomplishes anything personally, except falsely absolving someone of wrongs they have done. They falsely believe they are a good person just because they have been "saved". They continue to wrong and down others and even more so since they feel justified in their actions, simply because they are slapped a label on themselves. They are delusional, intellectual criminals.

If you believe in heaven and hell, do you think people who don't follow Jesus's path as it was intended would go to hell, even if they have been mislead? Do you believe in heaven and hell?

I still think if god exists and he is able to help others but doesn't, that makes him somewhat sadistic and malicious. I don't see how such a benevolent being could observe a wrong and not act benevolently. In fact, I think that is a major problem with humanity: people that observe wrongdoing but neglect to do anything about it. That may or may not say something about us being created in gods image. We are somewhat evil and immoral, so how is god not evil? Well, I guess you already answered that in a way, you think god basically does what he wants and isn't really good or evil(?). I wouldn't worship something like that just because it is more powerful.

If god chooses to ignore us, then why should we pay him any mind? It seems more rational to focus on ourselves (which is what I suppose a righteous path, or your view of Jesus's path would be for) and not worry about god until we become advanced enough, or enlightened enough to face him.

Maybe religious people have misinterpreted the meaning of worship? Perhaps god (or Jesus) was meant to be an example and not a messiah? It seems religious people aren't getting the point of religion in the first place. I actually hold beliefs like what you would call a religion, though I think it is largely realistic and I don't worship a god.

Maybe I am closer to god as an agnostic than most are as a Christian.

^ Now THAT is an oxymoron, lol. ^
edit on 1-4-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Maybe I am closer to god as an agnostic than most are as a Christian.

All those questions would have to be answered in a way that is dependent of the precise definitions of the terms used in them.
As for this one I am quoting, the same thing applies. It depends on how you arrived at your agnosticism, and what sort of agnosticism it is, and if "close" means understanding.
I was having a conversation of sorts on my Sunday internet "radio" show today on understanding God, and a listener commented that if you truly understood God, you would become an atheist and live your life. That sounds to me like the same thing you are suggesting.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Do you have any scientific evidence for the existence of the Nephelim? Has there ever been a giant skeleton found in the area of Canaan? If so I'd love to see it and if not why do you believe the account of the perpetrators of a genocide?

If the Nazis had won the WWII and Hitler wrote a book about how God had told him to destroy the Czechs and when they got there they were Giants would you believe it? If not why do you believe the biblical account?

Militant Islamists claim to be divinely inspired. Why are they wrong and the Israelites right?

Is the picture clearing up? If you don't grasp Genesis 6 and what satan and the fallen angels tried to do before and again after the flood you'll have zero chance of understanding the accounts of Joshua and why God commanded the death of all the tribes including the infants.

They were not humans. It wasn't genocide, but angelicide.

edit on 1-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

They were not humans. It wasn't genocide, but angelicide

I'd have to say they were half human, but they were uncontrollable and they made war on mankind, and they ate human flesh and drank human blood. They were what we call cannibals, which ties into why the jews were not allowed to eat pork, because pork in it's raw form is indistinguishable from human flesh. The Antediluvians (pre-flood man) tried to sustain them with crops but feeding something that is 13-20 feet tall isn't as easy as it sounds and those things started eating us instead. One of the reasons Noah and his family were saved from the flood was because they were genetically pure and had no angelic DNA in them.

The book of Jasher and Enoch has some of this story.

Yeah that fairy tale "Jack and the Beanstalk" came from that and the word Ogre did to. According to the jewish stories, one of the Nephilim named Og climb up on Noah's ark and rode out the storm, and he later became king of the Rephaim, another breed of giants that were of the nephilim bloodlines which ties into why the Canannites were exterminated. There is a place that to this day is still called the "Valley of the Rephaim", near Hebron. Hebron was the stronghold/capitol of the Rephaim.
edit on 1-4-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Take my statement to mean they were not fully human like you and I, they were the demi-god offspring of the union between fallen angels and mankind. And their dead spirits are the demons that currently seek embodiment in humans. Angels never needed to do that in the OT, they just appeared in human form. Think Genesis 18 with the two angels who accompanied Jesus to speak with Abraham and then those two angels left God to continue talking to Abraham and they went their way to Sodom and Gomorrah.

edit on 1-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Wow dude that second video of your has alot of popular people forking the sign of the goat. Never seen G.W. Bush do it, but doesn't surprise me since he daddy was a Skull he probably is too.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Wow dude that second video of your has alot of popular people forking the sign of the goat. Never seen G.W. Bush do it, but doesn't surprise me since he daddy was a Skull he probably is too.

Well you need to take those photos with a grain of salt friend. When photographers take photos they have a rapid shutter camera and when they take photos they may take 100 shots. When a person is "waving" to a crowd some of those will appear to be making the satan horns symbol when in reality they are just waving.

Case in point with GWB and Laura watching a parade, they are actually making the University of Texas "hook-Em" symbol for the UT marching band who is a part of the parade. When you watch the video you can hear the UT chant. Now, when some folks are doing it it's evil, but not all are like that, people manipulate rapid shutter camera photos oftentimes.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

and a listener commented that if you truly understood God, you would become an atheist and live your life. That sounds to me like the same thing you are suggesting.

I never got a chance to explain that. Instead of saying God or some name for God some people say "Heaven". So "Heaven to me is "Sky", as in my God is the Sky.

The Sky doesn't need me in order to remain the Sky. I need the Sky to remain alive however. Is there anything I must do to please the Sky? Not that I'm aware of. Therefore, no specific sacred rights or ceremonies are required in order for the Sky to remain the Sky, or for me to continue to enjoy the benefits of being within the bounds of the Sky.

Jesus said "For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust. "Matt 5:45. Whatever definition you give for "evil", "good", "just", "unjust", the saying applies.

Worship of a deity is actually a nothing. Just what is it? I've got no idea. Ethical behavior is purely a secular activity. How to interact with other people and the surroundings in order that all (including myself) may benefit.

edit on 2-4-2012 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by pthena

There is an interesting essay available which I was reading:
The Background of the Philippians Hymn (2:6-11) by David Seeley
www.depts.drew.edu...
In the section: The Hymn and Greco-Roman Ruler Worship, the author goes into the idea that not every aspect of the hymn can be explained solely by other biblical "cross-references" but that you could look at someone like Caligula who grasped at taking for himself the forms of all the gods.
One way, at least for me, would be to see Jesus as the antidote for, or the inoculation against, people like the emperors who are demanding to be worshiped as if they were themselves God.
God gives to us as a gift, someone who we know the form of, as a sanctioned and approved subject of worship, and a contrasting example against those who stand in the pride and haughtiness of the supposed recipient of such potential adoration from his "subjects".

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I grasp your premise, I just reject your conclusion.

I asked for scientific evidence... And I got YouTube...

I dunno I don't see anything too scientific in the first video. A skull that other people have used to "prove" aliens,reptilians,annunaki etc., some photos from a photoshop contest, and pictures of megalithic construction wouldn't be enough proof for me to justify a genocide. I didn't get past 1:30 though so if I missed something mind-blowing please refer me to its timestamp.

Secondly Orthodox Jews reject the angels interpretation of the Nephilim. To them the Nephilim were the offspring of Seth who married the daughters of Cain. You could reject their interpretation of course, but I'd be more inclined to take the word of the people who actually wrote the book in its native language.

Anyway Thanks for the discussion.
Namaste

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

Yeah, you missed the interview with one of the world's leading fossil reconstructionists. He has a human femur bone that is 47 inches long in his museum. Whenever giant skeletons are discovered they are quickly whisked away and hidden from public view. Can't have anything that shatters evolution theory now can we?

edit on 2-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

The expert in fossil reconstruction has a commercial and religious motive for fabricating evidence. I have to consider the source and it is clearly biased.

If there was scientific evidence for creationism, someone would have come forward for peer review. Proving creationism would make put that scientist in the same echelon as Newton or Galileo.

I asked for scientific evidence and in my opinion you have provided none. We can agree to disagree on this.

Faith based beliefs are awesome and I commend you for your faith, I just question why your faith based beliefs are any more valid than anyone else's?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

I implore you to consider the same motives for keeping this information silent. It swings both ways.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skepticesque
Man made God in man's image, God didn't make man in his image.

I agree.

Regards
DL

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpedconsciousness
reply to post by Greatest I am

Well God made us in his image by the fact of God being a trinity. God is of three parts; the father, son, and holy spirit. We as humans also having something like that; the spirit, soul, and body. God is a being with no physical body, but humans are both physical and spiritual and one can't talk about a human by just their soul or just their body. Also, Adam and Eve didn't know what good or evil was before the fall of man. So how are they in God's image you? Well humans are beings that can rationalize and think. God is not only a loving being, but also a rational being. Adam and eve knew that not obeying Gods command was wrong. They had no concept of Good or Evil, but could rationalize.

Perhaps they could.
If so, they recognized how wrong it was to deny themselves knowledge of damned near everything.

They chose not to be as bright as cows the way God wanted them to be.

If you would deny your children knowledge then you too should learn how to think rationally.

Regards
DL

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
Actually, it's ego that covers up any moral sense. The big bully that is "god" in the old testament is an example of ego. Really, the reason he seems like a psychopath is because of ego - our ego and it's arrogance created this god. When you see the jealous, psychopathic, warmongering god of the OT, you see man's ego deified. The ego hides the light that hides the image of the true God that is within all. The liberation of the ego is God's disclosure to us, because that light shines through the illusion of ego, and is bereft of greed, fear, intolerance, envy, ignorance, hate, and so on. Love, compassion, wisdom, temperance, respect, tolerance ... these things remain: they are "godlike" qualities and truly are in line with "God's image." God is within us and all things, but we don't recognize it sometimes because we drift into unconsciousness where the ego has power over us, and we lose our sovereignty and oneness with God because of that.

Rather Gnostic. I like it.

Regards
DL

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098
reply to post by Greatest I am

I think being made in God's image is a reference to our creativity and intelligence. We were creative intelligent animals and lived in paradise for thousands of years.

The tree of the knowledge of good and evil is us exalting ourselves to God's position. We ate the fruit and we thought we knew better than God. We invented agriculture and technology to make our lives easier. We began to systematically destroy and subjugate all animals and plants that hindered our growth. We stopped living in harmony with the environment.

The thing I think most people miss when they read that story is Satan's lie. They assume that Satan only lied when he says "You will not surely die" but they think he's telling the truth when he says we will "...be like God knowing good from evil."

I think they were both lies. We don't know good from evil. We only think we do.

Yet bible God confirms that A & E did become as God's in the knowing of good and evil.

God can also be seen as lying.
He told A & E that they would die.
He did not mention that they would die because he would actively kill then by denying them the tree of life.
That is murder in human terms.

Regards
DL

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Well Jesus promised that he would return. And God has never left or forsaken us. Followers of Christ are filled with the Holy Spirit.

Too bad you can't see the irony in your own statement.
If Jesus never left, then how does he return?
If we are spiritually filled, what benefit is there to Jesus being physically with us?
Is the real reason why apocalypticists hold such beliefs is that they want to see a blood bath?
edit on 1-4-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

+ 1

For sure.

Regards
DL

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by RSF77

Okay, fine, I'll play so you'll leave me alone.

So god does not have free will or is that exclusive to us?

Yes, God has both an active and passive will, He however will not violate the sovereignty He gave us as creatures in His image, He will not force anyone to love Him.

]

A quick question.

Does killing or murdering someone violate their free will choice to live?

He is not forcing us to love him but he is forcing us to die.

Regards
DL

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join