It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does in God’s image mean? He created Adam & Eve without a moral sense.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
What does in God’s image mean? He created Adam & Eve without a moral sense.

I take, in God’s image, to refer to God’s and our mental image and not the physical. God does not look like us in any way. He and his form is quite alien to us.

Genesis shows that Adam & Eve were created without the moral sense that would make them like Gods. That being the case, they had to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil to be in God’s mental image. That is without a doubt a requirement to the development of a moral sense and is confirmed by God after Adam and Eve disobeyed his command to stay dumb and without a moral sense.

If they were created in God’s image then they would have already had the moral sense that comes from the knowledge of good and evil and would therefore not have been tempted by Satan to eat of the tree of knowledge because they would have had that knowledge already. This would also mean that God was punishing them unjustly.

One must conclude from these biblical facts, that God did not make mankind in his image.

The only other logical alternative is that God does not have a moral sense and that he too, like Adam and Eve, was basically as dumb as a cow.

Could that be why God is shown as doing other immoral things in scriptures?

The two main ones that come to mind is God having his own son murdered for the forgiveness of sin when there was no real need to and the genocide of Noah’s day.

Does being in God's image mean not having a moral sense?

Regards
DL

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Man made God in man's image, God didn't make man in his image.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
God was an alien and made us the way he looked. Or he war a human, had intercourse with himself and presto, Adam was created. I believe the E.T part.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Skepticesque

The biblical god, yes. The Sumerian side seems a lot closer to the truth and with what they knew about the galaxy, they have a pretty good carpe also.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redevilfan09
God was an alien and made us the way he looked. Or he war a human, had intercourse with himself and presto, Adam was created. I believe the E.T part.

I guess Daniel in that movie Stargate could be Jesus?

here's some tips...

God is eternal.
(Deuteronomy 33:27; Jeremiah 10:10; Psalm 90:2)

God is infinite.
(1 Kings 8:22-27; Jeremiah 23:24; Psalm 102:25-27; Revelation 22:13)

God is self-sufficient and self-existent.
(Exodus 3:13-14; Psalm 50:10-12; Colossians 1:16)

God is omnipresent (present everywhere).
(Psalm 139:7-12)

God is omnipotent (all powerful).
(Genesis 18:14; Luke 18:27; Revelation 19:6)

God is omniscient (all knowing).
(Psalm 139:2-6; Isaiah 40:13-14)

God is unchanging or immutable.
(Psalm 102:25-27; Hebrews 1:10-12; 13:8)

God is sovereign.
(2 Samuel 7:22; Isaiah 46:9-11)

God is wise.
(Proverbs 3:19; Romans 16:26-27; 1 Timothy 1:17)

God is holy.
(Leviticus 19:2; 1 Peter 1:15)

God is righteous and just.
(Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 11:7; Psalm 119:137)

God is faithful.
(Deuteronomy 7:9; Psalm 89:1-8)

God is true and truth.
(Psalm 31:5; John 14:6; John 17:3; Titus 1:1-2)

God is good.
(Psalm 25:8; Psalm 34:8; Mark 10:18)

God is merciful.
(Deuteronomy 4:31; Psalm 103:8-17; Daniel 9:9; Hebrews 2:17)

God is gracious.
(Exodus 34:6; Psalm 103:8; 1 Peter 5:10)

God is love.
(John 3:16; Romans 5:8; 1 John 4:8)

God is spirit.
(John 4:24)

God is light.
(James 1:17; 1 John 1:5)

God is triune or trinity.
(Matthew 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14)

christianity.about.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Skepticesque

The biblical god, yes. The Sumerian side seems a lot closer to the truth and with what they knew about the galaxy, they have a pretty good case also.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

Well God made us in his image by the fact of God being a trinity. God is of three parts; the father, son, and holy spirit. We as humans also having something like that; the spirit, soul, and body. God is a being with no physical body, but humans are both physical and spiritual and one can't talk about a human by just their soul or just their body. Also, Adam and Eve didn't know what good or evil was before the fall of man. So how are they in God's image you? Well humans are beings that can rationalize and think. God is not only a loving being, but also a rational being. Adam and eve knew that not obeying Gods command was wrong. They had no concept of Good or Evil, but could rationalize.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

Danny boy stays with them in the end too...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Actually, it's ego that covers up any moral sense. The big bully that is "god" in the old testament is an example of ego. Really, the reason he seems like a psychopath is because of ego - our ego and it's arrogance created this god. When you see the jealous, psychopathic, warmongering god of the OT, you see man's ego deified. The ego hides the light that hides the image of the true God that is within all. The liberation of the ego is God's disclosure to us, because that light shines through the illusion of ego, and is bereft of greed, fear, intolerance, envy, ignorance, hate, and so on. Love, compassion, wisdom, temperance, respect, tolerance ... these things remain: they are "godlike" qualities and truly are in line with "God's image." God is within us and all things, but we don't recognize it sometimes because we drift into unconsciousness where the ego has power over us, and we lose our sovereignty and oneness with God because of that.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Creation itself (GOD) created creations (man) that have the power to create (through imagination, will, and action) to further 'his' will (which is creation).

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reddupo
Creation itself (GOD) created creations (man) that have the power to create (through imagination, will, and action) to further 'his' will (which is creation).

I think God procreated life on this planet...

evolution is supposedly fact also but looking around the joint (earth) one may have to reconsider or cast doubt, I don't really deny evolution though.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

The supreme god does not talk, need to be spoken for, need people door knocking and asking for donations. Keep reading that book, I tried and cant bring myself to believe it, sorry.

Not one person knows or has any idea about the creator of everything in existence. That is a god, not the biblical one either. The bible is poison and a disgrace to our civilisation.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide

Originally posted by Reddupo

I think God procreated life on this planet...

evolution is supposedly fact also but looking around the joint (earth) one may have to reconsider or cast doubt, I don't really deny evolution though.
All things grow and change: that's a fact. We learn, we adapt, we grow, we expand, we change: that's evolution, and everything in the universe does that because consciousness permeates everything. Even our perception of God evolves. Even the soul evolves as it experiences more and more.

It's a tool that waits for the entity to be ready and wise enough to ask questions. Those questions are answered by growth and change.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redevilfan09

The supreme god does not talk, need to be spoken for, need people door knocking and asking for donations. Keep reading that book, I tried and cant bring myself to believe it, sorry.

Not one person knows or has any idea about the creator of everything in existence. That is a god, not the biblical one either. The bible is poison and a disgrace to our civilisation.

what book... you mean "and Justice for all" by Metallica? I have the tablature right here so I can learn the riffs on guitar.

we have descriptions and definitions of what God is, keep reading... there's still a mystery but somehow one knows the final mystery is true.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

the bible is one of my favorite books... it is light years ahead of atheism.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Im not saying I dont believe in god, but the god in the bible sounds like a dictator. Do this, do that, eat this, drink that, kill them, spare the rest, Actually god has a lot of requests. It doesnt make sense.

I believe god created everything and he didnt need a manual telling certain people to tell others how to live and how to do it. The only way this is possible to me anyway irg if we were created by physical beings who actually are a creation of the true god themselves. Maybe they set the laws and maybe they are OUR immediate gods. Not the creator of everything. Its possible.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Yeah maybe, but there are older texts than the bible as well and some say that the bible is just a modernised version of the older ones which point to ETs. Even those texts could be BS. The truth is we are here and we may never know the real truth.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

yeah that one.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I think being made in God's image is a reference to our creativity and intelligence. We were creative intelligent animals and lived in paradise for thousands of years.

The tree of the knowledge of good and evil is us exalting ourselves to God's position. We ate the fruit and we thought we knew better than God. We invented agriculture and technology to make our lives easier. We began to systematically destroy and subjugate all animals and plants that hindered our growth. We stopped living in harmony with the environment.

The thing I think most people miss when they read that story is Satan's lie. They assume that Satan only lied when he says "You will not surely die" but they think he's telling the truth when he says we will "...be like God knowing good from evil."

I think they were both lies. We don't know good from evil. We only think we do.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

What does in God’s image mean?

God is sovereign over the universe, He created man with sovereignty over the Earth. God is triune, we have body, soul, and spirit. We are 3 part beings.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join