It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keith Olbermann Threatens Suit Over Current TV Firing (Less than a year after joining).

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Keith Olbermann Threatens Suit Over Current TV Firing

Keith Olbermann has threatened to sue Current TV after the controversial host was fired from his primetime slot less than a year after he joined the network.

Former Vice President Al Gore, the co-founder of Current TV, said in a statement that the network was founded on "values of respect, openness, collegiality and loyalty to our viewers. Unfortunately these values are no longer reflected in our relationship with Keith Olbermann."

Click link for remainder of article.

edit on 31-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
For some reason this does not surprise me. After his issues while on MSNBC I was shocked another network would have picked him up. You know there has to be an issue when the person who fires you is Al Gore. How many times does a person have the be fired / reprimanded for the same behavior before they realize that maybe its their own fault and not that of their employers?

Olberman is filing a lawsuit (he still had 4 + years left on his 5 year long contract) and claims he will be vindicated.

How many people here think Olbermann is going to be successful?

Personaly speaking I don't think he is going to win his lawsuit, but thats just me. In fairness I am not a fan of Olbermann, and by not a fan I mean cannot stand him period. I am curious if his departure has anything to do with the fact the elections are right around the corner. If we look back to when he was at MSNBC Olbermann came off as sort of Joseph Goebbel's ish, so much in fact he and Chris Matthews were removed from the Presidential reporting due to their fanaticism.

Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Former Vice President Al Gore, the co-founder of Current TV, said in a statement that the network was founded on "values of respect, openness, collegiality and loyalty to our viewers. Unfortunately these values are no longer reflected in our relationship with Keith Olbermann."

I sense the need to get out my Political BS detector for what Gore is trying to form into words here. Hmm... (shakes detector) ... Okay... (slaps it a few times) ..Almost got it... (series of beeps and a big burp from box?) GOT IT!

'Keith Olbermann showed less than 100% loyalty, so Current TV lost ALL 100% of their respect for him"

Whew....That was some fuzzy logic to get through. but I think we made it in one piece..and the message seems clear enough!

In all seriousness, I'd guessing he had a contract and I'll just bet that contract is pretty iron clad. If he's talking Lawsuit, I'm guessing this didn't happen as that contract would have planned for it....to say the least. I don't like anyone involved here personally. but for sheer principle, I hope Olbermann runs with it. They just can't cut people on a whim or over difference of opinon. We'll see how it plays for civil attorneys.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Without seeing his contract it is hard to tell. Surely a five-year deal would have numerous escape clauses to covers a number of eventualities. I wouldn't be surprised if Gore's statement you quoted above comes directly from contract language. In any case Olbermann is full of bluster. Let him sue. I'm sure the network took that into consideration before canning his sorry butt.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The only thing that will help him is Al Gores' bonehead statements that somehow Olberman does not reflect truth and honesty towards viewers.

Name me one new program that does....

Daily show maybe, but its not a news show. just a show that is smarter than the news shows which enlightens us as to the idocracy that is MSM.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
You all make some good points. If we run with the iron clad contract argument for a second, would it not be logical to assume that since Gore's / Current Tv's lawyers are the ones who drew up the contract that they would know what a person under contract could be fired for?

To me this seems more along the lines of Current TV / Gore making the argument Olbermann's actions violated the contract and in Olbermann's mind he did no such thing, making it more of a he said he said situation. Olbermann's history with ohter networks and his departure from them surely arent going to help his position out any.

Based on the info we have now, which admittedly is not much at all, anyone want to hazard a guess on the outcome?

I think he (Olbermann) is going to lose his case.

reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Actually the Daily Show has been ranked towards the top when it comes to who the public trusts for news, which when we raealize its not a news program really makes a statement. There was a recent poll that came out that listed on air personalities (news shows) in terms of trust. Oreilly came in towards the top, and he actually tied with Jon Stewart.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
They just can't cut people on a whim or over difference of opinon. We'll see how it plays for civil attorneys.

Oh yes they can, it's in the contract. This is how it works in media-Say the wrong thing and you can and will be fired. The local newspaper here is very conservative, if I worked there and wrote Liberal op-eds they would fire me. They have that right. That kind of stuff happens all the time.

I don't think it has to do with towing the DNC line as Current also features The Young Turks who constantly take the DNC to task as much as they do the GOP. I think it has more to do with Keith's rumored "jackassy" qualities. He's difficult to work with.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
I think it has more to do with Keith's rumored "jackassy" qualities. He's difficult to work with.

Olbermann wants complete exclusivity and control of his show. He doesn't want his show preempted/exempted or replaced with some "special" programming when the network feels like it. He wants to be able to say exactly what he wants. He does not want to be told what he can say and what he can't.

Is he really "jackassy" - - - or is he not corruptible? Is he being an Egotistical Whiner - - or is he being shafted by the network?

Whether I agree with him or not - - - I want to hear what he has to say - - - unfiltered and uncut.

Will he get the show he wants out of this latest legal challenge.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
If Olbermann had been black, this never would have happened.
He would still be working at MSNBC making a fortune while spewing his hate.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
If Olbermann had been black, this never would have happened.
He would still be working at MSNBC making a fortune while spewing his hate.

Hate? Because you don't agree with him?

At least he doesn't deliver his viewpoint like a Carnival Barker.

I think its going to be an interesting suit.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

He is at the very least straight forward and speaks his mind. Aside from that he has issues when he speaks his mind and doesn't take into account how he is saying something.

As far as not corruptable goes... meh..... I dont agree with that. Olberman is a die hard left winger (nothing wrong with that position btw). The issue with that is when its the only view point he bothers to see. His departure from MSNBC, which is the farthest left ive seen a cable news network go, had issues with olberman. The fact MSNBC let him go, to me, speaks volumes. For a person who is mounting a full fledge defense of the President / Democrats to be canned from MSNBC....

To lose the support of Gore and his network....

What we see on tv might only be the tip of the iceberg on his jackassery level..

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Annee

He is at the very least straight forward and speaks his mind. Aside from that he has issues when he speaks his mind and doesn't take into account how he is saying something.

Should he? Explain a little more please.

As far as not corruptable goes... meh..... I dont agree with that.

It was a question to create discussion.

Olberman is a die hard left winger (nothing wrong with that position btw). The issue with that is when its the only view point he bothers to see.

Why is that a problem? The Right is far more "my way or the highway".

His departure from MSNBC, which is the farthest left ive seen a cable news network go, had issues with olberman.

Do you know the full story of why MSNBC let him go?

To lose the support of Gore and his network....

If they did not fulfill the promises of the contract. We shall see.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Should he? Explain a little more please.

The phrase its not what you say but how you say it comes to mind. He is just straight forward, which can be a turn off to people who don't distinguish between the 2. Being straight forward as opposed to coming across as an ass. If Olbermann were extreme right wing it would be the same if that makes sense. Its jus the way he presents himself, which directly impacts the message he is presenting.

It was a question to create discussion.

Fair enough.... I think he pushes the left a little to harshly. By that I mean the way he acts is not indicative of how all people who share left side ideals act (or right to spin the table). I think Olbermann will do what ti takes, to extreme, to make sure his viewpoint is the only viewpoint (Rush limbaugh would be the same for the right).

It reminds me of the line of a British TV comedy show -
"I have principles.... and if you dont like those principles..... I have other principles".

Why is that a problem? The Right is far more "my way or the highway".

The issue on both sides is the most vocal doesn't neccisarily speak for all of the members of the group. We jsut hear it because they are screaming where others are using their indoor voices. A perfect example would be the local civil rights leader in Florida dealing withthe Martin case. Ive seen one media outlet cover him, who took Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton to task for sirring the pot up. I see Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton all over the media, and to me its because they are screaming instead of talking.

Just from whats been reported on the news and from each camps releases, which is to say it looks like the same disagreement that cost Olbermann his job with Gore's network.

If they did not fulfill the promises of the contract. We shall see.

Fair enough... but the other thing to keep in mind is its not Olbermann's network, just as MSNBC was not his network. Its one thing to have on air talent being outspoken. Its something else entirely when that on air talent begins to alienate viewers / supporters because their own personal positions overtake those of the network itself.

I don't care much for MSNBC, however the manner in which Olbermann acted while on the MSNBC network I don't think correctly reflected the networks position at all. But because of who Olbermann is and he he acts, I can see how people could take Olbermanns views to be the exact same as MSNBC's.

Also(directed at no one in particular) - I am not knocking left wing - right wing politics or singleing out the left. The exact same arguments can be made about the right, with rush limbaugh or countless others. I just want to say that so this doesn't devolve into a left vs. right argument. In this instance its about Olbermann and his recent departure from anther media outlet. Comparisons between him and others are fine, but just wanted to state this now so we dont get 50 pages of politics.

Thanks for responding and for the questions / comments / conversation starters.

ETA -
STATEMENT REGARDING KEITH OLBERMANN - MSNBC and Keith Olbermann have ended their contract
Keith Olbermann ousted from Current TV talk show

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

The phrase its not what you say but how you say it comes to mind. He is just straight forward, which can be a turn off to people who don't distinguish between the 2. Being straight forward as opposed to coming across as an ass. If Olbermann were extreme right wing it would be the same if that makes sense. Its jus the way he presents himself, which directly impacts the message he is presenting.

Which is why I watched/listened to him.

He was direct without "padding" and "drama".

I try listening to those on the Right - - I always feel like they're jabbing a finger in my face or yelling at me. I honestly can not equate him as having same delivery style.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

A perfect example would be the local civil rights leader in Florida dealing with the Martin case. Ive seen one media outlet cover him, who took Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton to task for sirring the pot up. I see Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton all over the media, and to me its because they are screaming instead of talking.
ir own personal positions overtake those of the network itself.

Which is why I won't watch videos and I ask for a transcript if I'm interested. I have no intention of being emotionally effected by delivery.

I just don't get any of that from Olbermann.

I have XM radio. I try to listen to the Right Wing stations as well as the left - - and others. I have not yet found anyone on the Right Wing stations that I can listen to. Got any recommendations?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Just from whats been reported on the news and from each camps releases, which is to say it looks like the same disagreement that cost Olbermann his job with Gore's network.

Yes - it does - somewhat.

MSNBC tried to control what he said.

I believe they suspended him - - then apologized - - then brought him back. I think he later quit - - or left on mutual agreement. (too lazy to research right now
)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Fair enough... but the other thing to keep in mind is its not Olbermann's network, just as MSNBC was not his network. Its one thing to have on air talent being outspoken. Its something else entirely when that on air talent begins to alienate viewers / supporters because their own personal positions overtake those of the network itself.

I'm not saying Olbermann is right or wrong. Or the Network is right or wrong.

I would say we don't know the truth and who's spinning.

However - - -why would Olbermann sign a contract - - knowing what he wanted - - that landed him in the same situation he had with MSNBC?

Olbermann did believe he signed a contract giving him full control over his show. And I can not imagine he didn't have a team of lawyers approving it.

We shall see.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
They just can't cut people on a whim or over difference of opinon. We'll see how it plays for civil attorneys.

Oh yes they can, it's in the contract. This is how it works in media-Say the wrong thing and you can and will be fired. The local newspaper here is very conservative, if I worked there and wrote Liberal op-eds they would fire me. They have that right. That kind of stuff happens all the time.

I don't think it has to do with towing the DNC line as Current also features The Young Turks who constantly take the DNC to task as much as they do the GOP. I think it has more to do with Keith's rumored "jackassy" qualities. He's difficult to work with.

Indeed... I'm sure they both feel they are on solid ground. So, let the lawsuits commence and out here in the public, we can learn how it all really happened as it unfolds for the public record..or more likely, the media record before settlement. It's always interesting when the big names openly fight with the Studios.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I am going to wager a guess and go with a difference of interpretation by both sides. I dont doubt Olbermann has total creative control over his show. However I can't see the network allowing carte blanche so to speak. I will bet some guidelines were established that are open to interpretation by both sides.

I do find the justifications coming out on both sides interesting - Both sides are arguing different aspects.

reply to post by Annee

The issue with Olbermann and NBC revolved around campaign donations that were never disclosed. If I remember right Joe Scarborough was hit with the same suspenion when he disclosed his contributions. There was a difference in how both talents handled it though. Olbermann came very close to being terminated, and in the end only got the suspension.

Also I think Olbermann's depature came into play whent he new head of MSNBC came on board, wanting to take thing in a different direction. Hence the reason for all the adds that show Rachel Maddow talking about bridges / infrastructure improvements, Chris Matthews discussing taxes, Lawrence Odonnell etc etc etc.

That was not Olbermanns first stint with MSNBC. He worked for them before for a while. He also worked for ESPN, where his employment and departure were from essentially the same issues as MSNBC and Al Gores network have.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Olbermann is not going to sue. If you have never worked in the media then it will be difficult for you to understand what I am stating. Almost ever media contract includes a clause that states you can be fired for any reason. They also include escape clauses which state at what ratings number you can be dropped. Current is on solid ground, Olbermann isn't going to bother.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join