It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Years Of Planet X...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Whether you have a keen interest in Planet X, or just a passing interest, this compilation of news articles is a must see. Even if you don't believe in it all, I think they are worth perusing.

A member of Lucus's Rabbit Hole has compiled news articles from 1950-2000.

Like this one from 1950:

And this one from 1952:

This is only a snippet, the article is much longer.

The link: Planet X stories...

If anyone finds anything of particular interest, please share.
edit on 3/31/2012 by Klassified because: corrections

edit on 3/31/2012 by Klassified because: another correction

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
oh no,,here come the trolls ,,run,,It is unfortunate when someone cant publish an original idea without people being trolls about it. People write stuff all of the time and no one says anything about it until it makes sense to most, then here come the trolls.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

The date on one article you brought is 1950. This discovery of Planet X brought about the same kind of response it does today. Except back then they didn't have the internet for everyone to be repeatedly hammered by it. You went to the theatre and paid your matinee quarter and at the end of the flick you came back to the real world. This endless rogue planet / star colliding with earth stuff, is as old as SCI FI. We just reiterate an ages old idea. Watch this and realize how stupid all these end of world threads sound by looking back at what impressed former generational doom gloomers.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I actually saw this movie. In technicolor too.

Thanks for posting it.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
We can be fairly sure there is something going on in our solar system.

Afterall they dont classify meteorites and asteroids for nothing, remember this?

For 15 years, scientists have benefited from data gleaned by U.S. classified satellites of natural fireball events in Earth's atmosphere – but no longer.

A recent U.S. military policy decision now explicitly states that observations by hush-hush government spacecraft of incoming bolides and fireballs are classified secret and are not to be released, SPACE.com has learned.

The satellites' main objectives include detecting nuclear bomb tests, and their characterizations of asteroids and lesser meteoroids as they crash through the atmosphere has been a byproduct data bonanza for scientists.

www.space.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
Watch this and realize how stupid all these end of world threads sound by looking back at what impressed former generational doom gloomers.

That is true enough,there have always been folk crying "the end is nigh!"
And so far,its not happened.
However,all those folks in days gone by would have only seen their predictions come true if a giant meteor hit the earth.

Us,today,we have the means to totally destroy all life by our own means.
A solar flare that may not have caused much damage 300 years ago,could today overload power lines,or worse.
Today,that could be devastating.

We have become over reliant on technology IMO,and should remember,and teach the ways of old to the youth.
Just in case.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

And indeed in recent times many icy bodies out with Pluto in the Kuiper belt have been found leading to its demotion and removal from the list of major planets.

Ideas about lost planets somewhere out in space aren't new, they've been around ever since our eyes could venture out and explore the stars in greater detail with the advent of the telescope. They seem very similar to stories of lost continents from the age of exploration we did on the oceans.

I'll add my own sci-fi movie with a similar theme to the mix here:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I went through all of the news snippets on that link and i did find something interesting. Great link btw.
In the 50's and 60's they talk about something pulling on Neptune and measurements pointing in direction of a large, tenth planet. Then in the 70's all of a sudden the story changes to Halley's comet whose orbit contains mysterious deviations and therefore unknown planet must be responsible but the Neptune observation is no longer mentioned.

So, why did they change the official explanation?
What do we now know about Neptune or the orbit of Halley's comet that disproves one or both of their theory's?
There is a big chance they were wrong all along, but the math was correct when they found Pluto so ................ who knows.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by intrptr

I actually saw this movie. In technicolor too.

Thanks for posting it.

Its a classic. I poo poo on the threads by people who bring the Nibiru, Tyche brown dwarf sun imminent collision thingy...
but I also look around at the many craters on the moon and know that one day earths number is gonna be up. I also note the comparison between the Noahs ark ship in the movie and gaze skyward at our own ISS and I go hmmmmm.... How many people could the ISS hold in a pinch... for six months?

Edit: Has our government known for 60 years that there is an inbound and theres nothing they can do except prepare all the bunkers, seed banks and build an ark(ISS) to insure a future for mankind? Naaaahhhh....
edit on 31-3-2012 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Exitt

So, why did they change the official explanation?

In 1989 Voyager 2 flew by Neptune. That flyby provided accurate data about the mass of Neptune which showed that earlier calculations of that mass were incorrect. The corrected data showed that the supposed discrepancies in the orbit of Uranus were accounted for by the true mass of Neptune. That was the end of Lowell's Planet X.

I don't know of any "mysterious deviations" in the orbit of Halley's comet.

edit on 3/31/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

"Roving gangs of meteors terrorize the galaxy."

Sometimes those guys in MST3K pop off a good one.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

There are thousands of fireballs a day according to the American Meteor Society.

Tracking of fireballs is now done by ground based systems.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Exitt

The search for planet X was ended in 1989 because it was determined that the cause was due to an error in the mass of Neptune. The Voyager flyby showed that the mass was off by about 0.5%. With the corrected mass the apparent tugs went away.

new topics

top topics

join