It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What IS the SHTF situation? Really

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Honestly, when you hear someone talk about the SHTF situation in the future, what comes to mind? What's most likely to happen? I'm looking for real and honest facts, opinions, and insights. What do you expect when the SHTF? And why do you expect it?

Solar flares? Blackouts? Martial law? Nuclear holocaust? WW3? Will we all keep our jobs, or will society have fallen so hard that everything crashes to the point of pure chaos and anarchy? Or will it be the exact opposite--that order will have taken over so much that living as a sheep is your only option, and breaking the smallest, most pointless law will land you imprisoned or killed? Or perhaps a pandemic, with h1n1, or h5n1, or something of the like.... or making people drop like flies with vaccines.

What's it gonna be? And why? And how would you, and do you, prepare for it?
edit on 31-3-2012 by XxNightAngelusxX because: Forgot the last question (And how would you, and do you, prepare for it?)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Anything from weather to social unrest. IDK exactly what the next disaster will be. I do know I am prepared for it.

You can go to the predictions forum for some entertaining reading if you'd like.

Des

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

The S Has Already HTF, This thread tells you how:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
There are a few:

1) Quasar pulse coupled with mineral dust blanketing the sun, resulting in a massive solar blast.

2) The poles and the crust shift causing massive flooding as the oceans settle.

3) the gas belts implode and/or reroute.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
here is a fun site listing possible SHTF scenarios

I think there will come an area of neo-medievalism
edit on 31-3-2012 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Though a survival scenario doesn't have to be a mega event. A survival scenario can be a situation for one. Such as gettng lost in a snowstorm.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

TSHTF, huh?

I suggest watching a few movies just to get an idea. The one that most comes to mind is... (drumroll)...

Envelope, please.

Red Dawn
Simply substitute the Soviets, Cubans and Nicaraguans for the enemy of your choice. The message is the same. Very stirring flick. The former USSR did not at all like it that it was released even in the US.

BTW... if the subject doesn't do anything for you, watching that '56 Chevy getting creamed will break your heart!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Peak oil. We are seeing what "might" happen just based on commodity speculation. The prices are rising now not because of shortages but because of speculations on futures. The Iran thing adds to it and the speculators are buying futures like mad at ridiculous prices....this sets our prices...not supply, not demand.

When it truly becomes clear we have hit peak oil and crossed the line....oh man....the prices will soar and people will be highly pissed that no one ever gave them the truth about where we were.

Aside from that....

A major solar flare strike could whiplash the magnetosphere and have the effect of an emp....it's complicated...but it can happen....well according to our gov scientist it can...

When that happens it could take our power-grids out for a few years....that might be some seriously ugly times....people fighting over a stale loaf of bread...sad times...

shtf....

just like this...

edit on 3/31/2012 by Damrod because: spelling

edit on 3/31/2012 by Damrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Earth is hit with a gamma burst from a collapsing star-The impact is felt by no human,for it is subtle.Only our space sensors and radio telescopes register the event.
Life goes on...But in the DNA of insects,nano scale changes are taking place.
8 months later-
Human civilization has been eviscerated by the giant bug plagues-mosquitos with 8 foot wingspans attacked the cities en masse,and left behind millions of dried human husks,their blood all sucked out by the flying nightmares.

Ants the size of trucks and centipedes from hell devour any survivors they find.
Humans,in their current form have failed.
The few survivors left in many far flung corners of the planet go underground,to escape from the insect hordes.
And for a while it is good..Folks have families,and live underground in vast tunnels.

But they did not know that the gamma burst had effected human DNA as well..and all it took was for the humans to live underground for 10 years.
That was when the gamma burst adjusted DNA made the switch.
That was when all of the remaining humans evolved into something unspeakable,with long claws and razor fangs,black eyes,and distorted form-bone and raw muscle protruding from glistening reddish skin.

And so they headed for the surface as one horde of devils,for the final battle against the insects.

Maybe something like that?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Such a broad subject and very different for every body. Its all the stuff you mentioned and so much more you didn't. There is also personal sit x to think about as well. no you may not need your food stores for them but you still better be prepared. So many emergency's happen on a personal level and never get talked about those are the ones that in my opinion need 75% of your survival thought. The big ones need prep too that goes with out saying but its the little things that will get you if your not ready for them. Ime speaking from personal experience here. My two cents worth.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
SHTF = Syria

In America, maybe the president gets assassinated, clear evidence rises that disproves Jesus, it could be ANYTHING.

This SHTF scenario would be VERY easy to implement.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Earth is hit with a gamma burst from a collapsing star-
Ants the size of trucks
That was when all of the remaining humans evolved into something unspeakable,with long claws and razor fangs,black eyes,and distorted form-bone and raw muscle protruding from glistening reddish skin.

And so they headed for the surface as one horde of devils,for the final battle against the insects.

Except for the ones who escaped the burst by being under the water in the bath tub, at the exact second the wave it. They, came out of the bathtub, to a different world. One where insect was king, and the stench? Oh my god, the horrible stench, of death, and moldy insect hairs the size of cats. Bed mites the size of Tonka toys moving around in your pillow at night.
Hiding during the day from the devil Morlocks from the bowels of the earth, and from the flying scorpions at night. Oddly enough one of the safest places was the Amazon jungle, where the vampire bats, and the poison dart frogs the size of cattle were always so engaged in battle with each other, they rarely stopped to snatch people from their hiding places.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
SHTF = any scenario in which calories become so scare (food, oil, labor, fire) that survival dominates, and in comparison to all the remaining calories gold becomes valueless.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Thankx for the replies guys, you've given me some good ideas and possibilities to ponder on

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Does it really matter?

I guess so, for some things, but pretty much all SHTF scenarios mean some of the same things...

1) Loss of society (and all that goes with it, such as power, water, law enforcement, conveniences, food stores, etc.)

2) Anarchy (some will band together for survival, others for power and resources so they'll be outlaws)

3) Massive looting, lawlessness in the urban centers

All of these common elements are best survived if you:

a) Aren't found

b) Have a supply of food and water

c) Have the means to protect yourself, or at least discourage most folks

d) Band with others for mutual workload and protection

Personally, I think the WORST one to happen would be the collapse of society. With many other scenarios, massive death could prevail, which at least would mean more resources for survivors. In the societal collapse however, what happens to millions of city folks who now have no power or water? *shudders*

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I broke shtf down to levels.

level 1

regional shtf meaning anything from tornados,hurricanes, social unrest to a football team or basket team team winning and losing where order and services are restored rather quickly.

Which most shtf fall under.

Level 2

The zombie apocalypse, chemical/biological radiological attack the end is nigh crap.

Level 3

Wrath of god type stuff ELE,solar storm that kill all life as we know it,asteroids, tunguska explosions,yellow stone blowing and volcanoes going active.

Any of the above is classified as the SHTF preparing is just making sure your not standing in front of the crap hitting you.

All prepping is is giving yourself a chance that "normal people won't have" and are just going to sit there and "wait for Government to come save them".
edit on 3-4-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
In my area, most people are at least partial preppers, simply for Hurricane Season. So, from June 1 through November 30th, even "normal" people have spare water and food saved, etc.

But, they are rarely prepared for anything beyond a few days. (and usually, that's all they'd ever need).

For me, the Katrina disaster was my wake up call. Here we had a storm hit a very populated area, and yet some had to survive for WEEKS without assistance.

new topics

top topics

join