It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry promises no draft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Thought this might be interesting as everyone seems to be desperate to dodge the draft:

Meanwhile, Kerry, at a town hall meeting in Florida, suggested that re-electing Bush could lead to the resumption of a military draft, which ended in 1973.

"If George Bush were to be re-elected, given the way he has gone about this war and given his avoidance of responsibility in North Korea and Iran and other places, it is possible," he told a questioner in West Palm Beach. "I will tell you this -- I will not reinstate the draft."

www.cnn.com...

What I want to hear is Bush's comments pertaining to a possible draft.

[edit on 23-9-2004 by Blackout]

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This is really all just rhetoric. If there needs to be a draft, there will be one. Doesn't matter who's in office.

If North Korea invades the South, we have two choices: Cut our losses in Iraq and leave them to their own devices, or start calling numbers.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This has already been discussed here;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Its the democrats that sponsored the bill in congress in an election year gambit to fool the american people into believing this bilge about GWB and the draft.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   

This is really all just rhetoric. If there needs to be a draft, there will be one. Doesn't matter who's in office.

My thoughts exactly. I hope that Bush does NOT say what Kerry said. It is almost irresponsible for any President to say he will not do it. We can't predict what will happen 3 days from now let alone 3 years from now. As much as it might disturb people there may become a time where the draft will be a necessity not a choice.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well this is an interesting twist, if Kerry has vocally expressed his views on the draft knowing that it was democrats that put it on the table, then perhaps his views as to deal with Nk and Sk will be in a diplomatic way.

As now is not invasion just the "Possibility" of one and I see fair for US and other coalition forces to use all the diplomacy necessary before having to come to some military action, that will save a lots of lives and perhaps if we have an invasion at least US will have the help it needs from other countries as well.

And I agree with if the government wants the draft is nothing we can do about it, just protest it, that is all we can do.

Peace and love

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well this is an interesting twist, if Kerry has vocally expressed his views on the draft knowing that it was democrats that put it on the table, then perhaps his views as to deal with Nk and Sk will be in a diplomatic way.

As now is not invasion just the "Possibility" of one and I see fair for US and other coalition forces to use all the diplomacy necessary before having to come to some military action, that will save a lots of lives and perhaps if we have an invasion at least US will have the help it needs from other countries as well.

And I agree with if the government wants the draft is nothing we can do about it, just protest it, that is all we can do.

Peace and love

To be fair, a draft isn't always a bad thing. I've heard figures about WWII that 2/3 of the US Army was made up of draftees. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Not that I'm saying Iraq warrants a draft. But an insane dictator with nuclear weapons going nutso in Asia probably does.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Esoterica,

I agree, now who is more dangerous the NK nuke program or Iran?

I mean we all know that we have to hot spots in different parts of the world.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Kerry can promise all he wants. If Congress says we need a draft, the we'll get a draft. Kerry is trying to swing votes from people that don't pay any attention on how government works, with clear deception on his part.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Like everyone is saying, if a draft is needed it will happen. No stopping it.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Kerry can promise all he wants. If Congress says we need a draft, the we'll get a draft. Kerry is trying to swing votes from people that don't pay any attention on how government works, with clear deception on his part.

Exactly!!! I hope that this is made clear to people. I'm afraid that people are buying into Kerry's story about Bush bringing back the draft. Maybe this will be brought up during the debates.

I'll be glad when this election is over no matter WHAT the outcome!!!

Jemison

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I find it doubtful that a war now would warrant the draft. For one, our military is too technological to adequately train draftees in short amounts of time. It's no longer just how to shoot a gun, it's how to operate complex systems. We cannot win any war by simply sending hordes of troops to any country, war has moved beyond that.

top topics

join