It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP please! (Graphic card Died)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Sorry i know i make alot of help posts but thats becouse im useless with pc's, the problem is my graphic card has just died it was a EVGA GTX 560Ti Superclocked DS edition. Im getting a refund for it but i dont know what to buy now, i was looking at a 448 core 560Ti but i dont know if they are better than a HD 6950 or a HD 6970 OR a 7850 (ive only learned about them today and cant find any benchmarks) most benchmarks are really good on all 3 but i want the best out of the 4 and something i can still run BF3 on ultra settings with 4x msaa or whatever its called like my last card.

Ive watched a few youtube video's and all the cards look good but people are saying some get 4-7fps on ultra with HD 6970 for some reason when i got a steady 45-60 fps on my old card.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I advice on buying an Nvidia based card, not an ATi Radeon.

But that's just my personal opinion, based upon experience with both types of chipsets and Nvidias better Linux compatibility.

Furthermore I never buy high-end cards, because they'll be low-end again in 2 years. But then again I'm not an extreme gamer playing all the freshly released games.

If you can afford it, get a GTX 590 that'll be sufficient for all current W32 DX11 based games, if you like to save a bit, a GTX 570 will do just fine.

Here is a Dirt3 benchmark.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The highest i can go is around the £240-£250 mark, i want a card i can sli or crossfire in the future but is good enough to play everything on ultra settings now like my card before it died R.I.P

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
A 6950 is below a 560 and a 6970 is just right below a 560. I do not know about the other card. Some advice.... go on youtube and look up video's for benchmarks. Or google 560ti vs and you will see your results. Why are you returning the 560ti instead of RMAing it? It should be undrer warranty so you should be able to replace it. You got a bad card, it happens. Does not mean it needs to be completely replaced.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
A 6950 is below a 560 and a 6970 is just right below a 560. I do not know about the other card. Some advice.... go on youtube and look up video's for benchmarks. Or google 560ti vs and you will see your results. Why are you returning the 560ti instead of RMAing it? It should be undrer warranty so you should be able to replace it. You got a bad card, it happens. Does not mean it needs to be completely replaced.
Becouse i was hoping to put a bit more money into it and get something better

www.tomshardware.co.uk...

Those benchmarks are the reason im asking for help
edit on 31-3-2012 by LvSLoLo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie

And I could just as easily advise the opposite. AMD has the fastest single-GPU card on the market right now (HD-7970) that will destroy any single-GPU Nvidia card.

In fact, AMD quite often and usually has the fastest video card on the market until Nvidia follows along with something to compete with AMD.

You can see the benchmarks HERE for the HD-7970 which doesn't lag too far behind the GTX-590 or the HD-6990, which are both dual-GPU while the HD-7970 is single-GPU.

By the way, the dual-GPU cards on both sides have always had issues and aren't the most stable, while being very expensive.

What it boils down to is preference. AMD has always had the best price-to-performance ratio over Nvidia and Intel.

Originally posted by LvSLoLo
HD 6950 or a HD 6970

The HD-6xxx cards were actually slower than the HD-5xxx cards. I have two HD-5870's laying around, one of them almost brand new, that are faster than the HD-6xxx series cards, and with both of them Crossfired, have almost the same performance as the HD-7970 I'm now running.

edit on 31-3-2012 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie

And I could just as easily advise the opposite. AMD has the fastest single-GPU card on the market right now (HD-7970) that will destroy any single-GPU Nvidia card.

In fact, AMD quite often and usually has the fastest video card on the market until Nvidia follows along with something to compete with AMD.

You can see the benchmarks HERE for the HD-7970 which doesn't lag too far behind the GTX-590 or the HD-6990, which are both dual-GPU while the HD-7970 is single-GPU.

By the way, the dual-GPU cards on both sides have always had issues and aren't the most stable, while being very expensive.

What it boils down to is preference. AMD has always had the best price-to-performance ratio over Nvidia and Intel.

Originally posted by LvSLoLo
HD 6950 or a HD 6970

The HD-6xxx cards were actually slower than the HD-5xxx cards. I have two HD-5870's laying around, one of them almost brand new, that are faster than the HD-6xxx series cards, and with both of them Crossfired, have almost the same performance as the HD-7970 I'm now running.

edit on 31-3-2012 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

Actually AMD does not have the fastest GPU available on the market anymore.
Nvidia release the GTX 680 this week and it is priced cheaper, and will keep up or outpace AMD's best card in pretty much every game.

To to OP: If you have money to burn, get yourself a GTX 680 and be happier than a pig in # for the next year and a half or more.
if you can't justify that much money, go with the best card that you can afford.
560ti is a fantastic card, and if it was playing the games you wanted at the frame rates that you wanted, then there's no reason to expect that a card that is faster will perform worse than that.
Of all the cards you listed, they are all equal or better than your previous card.

If I were you, and I didn't have an unlimited budget, I would be getting a GTX 560ti 448. It is really actually a GTX 570 (different GPU core) and will perform much better than the original Ti.

BTW, EVGA has excellent waranty packages. You should be able to get your card replaced at no charge and have a brand new on in a couple weeks.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Pumcy

Thanks
ive been looking at GTX 570's ive found a few but not sure what the diffirence in performance between the 3 would be and if they would be better or worse than my old card can you guys help please? Heres the 3 im thinking of buying.

www.overclockers.co.uk...

They all look good to me i just dont know what is the best of the 3, and here is my old graphic card.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Dont cause a stampede lol

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
On the nVidia cards the only numbers that count are the last two. So a 560Ti is less powerful that a 395 for instance. The first numbers only indicate the series and what may be offered in that series. Since going to the 200 series DX10/11 has been a norm. So what I look for is a lot of memory and speed.. but not overclocking. If you are a gamer it may even be a viable option to look at a GTx295. Try to get one with a lot of DDR5 whatever you decide on and don't buy the hype that the newest is always the best.

I should add that ATi does not use the same numbering convention. You can look at their wiki page to find what the numbering of their cards means. All of their information is held in the suffix after the numbers.
ATi Suffix
edit on 31-3-2012 by Cassey222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well im hoping to get something good for now that i could sli or crossfire in a year or 2 so i can keep up with games

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Look..

www.videocardbenchmark.net...

Benchmark tests and prices..

Updated almost daily.

I would suggest an ATI card, Nvidia is just..well not up to snuff IMO.

The 6900 series is probably one of the best out there. Mid range 6950 is decently priced and has great performance.

If you really wanna go crazy then the 7970 HD is where you wanna go.

Although really it'd going to depend on the rest of your build too. A system is only as good ast he base platform.

(Board, Chip & RAM)
edit on 3/31/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

I strongly agree. In both Windows, and Linux, drivers for ATI cards are a nightmare. Nvidia makes the best, and easiest to install drivers for.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Look..

www.videocardbenchmark.net...

Benchmark tests and prices..

Updated almost daily.

I would suggest an ATI card, Nvidia is just..well not up to snuff IMO.

The 6900 series is probably one of the best out there. Mid range 6950 is decently priced and has great performance.

If you really wanna go crazy then the 7970 HD is where you wanna go.

Although really it'd going to depend on the rest of your build too. A system is only as good ast he base platform.

(Board, Chip & RAM)
edit on 3/31/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

AMD 6100 X6 Bulldozer Processor
8gb ripjaw memory
500gb hard drive and soon a 120gb SSD
Zalman Z11 Plus case
750watt GTI power supply
Did have a EVGA 560TI Superclocked DS edition graphic card but that obviously has gone the way of michael jackson.

Ive been looking at the EVGA 560ti 448 Classified edition or the EVGA 570 HD Superclocked

edit on 31-3-2012 by LvSLoLo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

I strongly agree. In both Windows, and Linux, drivers for ATI cards are a nightmare. Nvidia makes the best, and easiest to install drivers for.
Ive never had a ATI GPU i wouldnt know were to start even with the drivers

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Actually if you have the proper Catalyst software, it pretty much updates itself.

The only time I go looking for ATI drivers is for new games, they tend to release graphic card specific patches for big name games.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

That's not a bad system you got yourself there.

I cringe a bit when I see AMD procs, but ohh well, that's a fan thing on my side.

What do you have for a motherboard?

I see nothing in your build that would not support a ATI card; and although you've never had one; you probably won't go back if you did.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by LvSLoLo

That's not a bad system you got yourself there.

I cringe a bit when I see AMD procs, but ohh well, that's a fan thing on my side.

What do you have for a motherboard?

I see nothing in your build that would not support a ATI card; and although you've never had one; you probably won't go back if you did.
Hmm im not sure, i cant see in the case atm i remember it being a ASUS pro+ AM3 and some other stuff lol

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Ok, well that should be fine.

I can't really suggest anything else but one of the higher end ATI Cards honestly. But use my link and you'll find some Nvidia ones that seem to perform just as well at relatively low prices.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Ok well in your opinion what is better between these 4 cards? not taking in account 2 are ATI and 2 are nvidia.

i just want the best performance and stabelness

top topics

<<   2 >>

join