It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How could anyone with an ounce of common sense really believe only planet Earth has life?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
It isn't a lack of sense to believe that life is only on Earth, it's an overabundance of ego. Man is insignificant compared to the wonders of the universe. And if it was God, or a god, that made us, I hardly think we were His/Her crowning achievement.

Yes - - I think we are probably nearer the bottom of the totem pole of humanoids of the universe.

Its too bad religion gets in the way of more logical possibilities - - - even the possibility of off-planet visitors.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AmmonSeth

Very good point, it is always a possibility. In fact, i've never seen anyone use that argument before, kinda caught me off guard for a second

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
I don't think that is being selfish, I think that is being brainwashed into that way of thinking. If you take a child, and pound it into their little head that Earth is the only life bearing planet in the Universe, the child will grow up believing that as a fact. I too have knowledge of other worlds that bear life. And other life, lots of it.

I'm not sure how many people really do have the idea that "Earth is the only planet wity life" pounded into their heads since childhood. Maybe there are a few ultra-extreme religious groups out there who preach this, but that is more the exception and not the norm. In fact, many religions, such as Roman Catholicism, are open to the possibility.

Most of us grow up with the quite opposite idea told to us over and over. We are told by out TV shows (both fiction shows and documentaries) that life probably exists elsewhere. We all learn in school that the universe is so huge and that life probably exists elsewhere. Our top scientists are telling us all the time that life probably exists elsewhere.

So, yeah, I suppose there are a few extremist groups out there who preach to their children that Humans are alone in the universe -- but I don't think that this is what the majority of educated people are taught.

The average population does have some catching up to do with science, though. I would say that among the scientific community (especially those involved with space science, such as people affiliated with NASA. the ESA, and other space agencies), pretty close to 100% of the scientists believe that life probably exists elsewhere (I say "pretty close to 100%" because I can't discount the possibility of religious extremists among them). I also think that the people who get involved in space science professions in the first place probably already had a pre-existing interest in the possibility of life elsewhere to begin with.

I would think that the general educated public would be less than 100%, due to the greater possibility of scientific ignorance among them.

edit on 3/31/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Its all about "brainwashing", they told you so at school, all the books are saying the same - we are alone ! So naturally you start to believe it . . . not everybody of course, but the majority of people. When you have no new information coming in - you starting to believe, to what you being said . . . look at the people in North Korea. Sad truly . . .

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stingray77
Its all about "brainwashing", they told you so at school, all the books are saying the same - we are alone ! So naturally you start to believe it . . . not everybody of course, but the majority of people. When you have no new information coming in - you starting to believe, to what you being said . . . look at the people in North Korea. Sad truly . . .

Again -- as I asked above -- how many of us were really being brainwashed?

The books I read as a child, the TV shows I watched as a child, and the science teachers I had as a child all seemed to be quite open to the possibility of life elsewhere. My textbooks in school talked about the possibilities of life. The sci-fi novels that were popular when I was a child often included ETs. Can you name a popular book or a TV show that told us we WERE all alone? Can you name scientists who tried to convince the masses that there is no life elsewhere?

I mean, who wasn't able to watch Star Trek? Who didn't watch Carl Sagan and his Cosmos TV show? I remember learning back in the 1980s about what scientists discovered about the possibilities of a life-bearing ocean on Europa from the "Voyager" spacecraft.

Even before that, popular culture in the U.S. of the 1930s through 1950s included stories such as Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon. More recently, we have science giving us the Cassini spacecraft and the exciting possibilities it is discovering for the potential for life on Titan and Enceladus.

We have TV documentaries today with the world's top scientists telling us about the size of the universe equaling the probability of life elsewhere.

I'm sure there are cultures in the third world that may teach that earth is it. I'm sure there are even some groups among the "civilized" cultures of the world who preach this. But I think for the most part, people are exposed to the possibility of ET life at a young age. I know I was, and I know the people older than me were. It also seems people today are as exposed (by education, science, and pop-culture) to the possibility of life elsewhere as I was.

The majority of average educated people in the world -- and virtually all scientists -- DO feel that it is quite probable that life exists elsewhere. Even many religions are open to the idea. I don't see any mass brainwashing telling us the opposite. Perhaps a few religions do so, but the secular world is quite open to the possibility of ET life.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmmonSeth
There is also the very distinct possibility that your planet was the FIRST planet in the universe
to have had life evolve into intelligent forms,
You may very well be the earliest intelligent species in the universe.
After all, this has to happen to 1 species, who is to say that this isnt your species?
edit on 31/3/2012 by AmmonSeth because: grammatical error

You know I kind of like this reply. So the Big Bang theory implies that the first stars formed roughly 0.8 billion (B) years after. Early stars were largely hydrogen, the larger early ones could undergo fusion of the atomic structure to not only create isotopes of short half-life hydrogen (like everyone's favorite, H3, though H3 is a stable one), into helium, and eventually oxygen, nitrogen, and so on to heavier elements.

So how does the ever life present phosphorus get made since it is much heavier and present in all life as we know, not to mention carbon. Stars had to explode to fuse such heavier elements, and from their debris, 2nd generation stars formed. These stars formed more massive because well, there was more massive elements to help it form a bit differently. Not all stars are equal though. Very large red giants form likely from a denser mass of particles, even likely from several forming stars combining together, sort of like what we think Betelgeuse is; a super massive stelar center with indistinguishable form, and these stars don't exist long. Astronomically speaking as little as 0.2 B years existence, and they will explode and fuse even heavier elements like metals, gold, platinum, tungsten.

Now our star, The Sun, is a 3rd generation star, meaning heavier elements are more likely to be present about our star, in our Solar System, than 1st or 2nd generation stars and our sun is a stable yellow dwarf. Our star can last for 8 to 10 billion years. So now we can look at our elemental neighborhood, and the existence of our star already, being nearly 4.5 billion years old, and realize once our planet was formed and cooled enough to hold itself and atmosphere together, life began soon after that.

So from the first RNA molecule to the first living single cell of life on earth, maybe just 2 to 3 hundred million years elapsed. Yet it took that single cell of life to form a multicellular life form of a worm, 3 more billion years.

My point is of life on earth estimated at over 4 B years a common earthworm was the top of the food chain less than 1/4 of the time of life on earth, and man is but at most, 0.02% of that time of the worm.

So yes, considering chemistry, particle physics, and mathematics, one has a case to suggest that it is possible for life on earth to be the seniors so far, the first born, or at least maybe in the top 5%.

Or not.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by welshreduk

Ooh I know right!? With no other evidence than just the maths you stated it is ignorant to claim earth is the only planet with life.

Blindly ignorant :/.....

But that's because the slaves don't need to know. So here we sit.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I think most educated people agree with you when it comes to life existing elsewhere in the universe.
I myself even think that there might be life in our own solar system like bacterial microbes underneath the surface of Mars or some kind of ocean life in the oceans on moons like for example moons like Europa.

I am highly skeptical about aliens visiting us in spaceship though, but that is a whole different discussion.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
To answer the thread title: RELIGION.

The same thing that causes folks to LOSE all common sense in nearly EVERY aspect of life...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

There is also the very distinct possibility that your planet was the FIRST planet in the universe
After all, this has to happen to 1 species, who is to say that this isnt your species?

You know I kind of like this reply. So the Big Bang theory implies that the first stars formed roughly 0.8 billion (B) years after. Early stars were largely hydrogen, the larger early ones could undergo fusion of the atomic structure to not only create isotopes of short half-life hydrogen (like everyone's favorite, H3, though H3 is a stable one), into helium, and eventually oxygen, nitrogen, and so on to heavier elements.

So how does the ever life present phosphorus get made since it is much heavier and present in all life as we know, not to mention carbon. Stars had to explode to fuse such heavier elements, and from their debris, 2nd generation stars formed. These stars formed more massive because well, there was more massive elements to help it form a bit differently. Not all stars are equal though. Very large red giants form likely from a denser mass of particles, even likely from several forming stars combining together, sort of like what we think Betelgeuse is; a super massive stelar center with indistinguishable form, and these stars don't exist long. Astronomically speaking as little as 0.2 B years existence, and they will explode and fuse even heavier elements like metals, gold, platinum, tungsten.

Now our star, The Sun, is a 3rd generation star, meaning heavier elements are more likely to be present about our star, in our Solar System, than 1st or 2nd generation stars and our sun is a stable yellow dwarf. Our star can last for 8 to 10 billion years. So now we can look at our elemental neighborhood, and the existence of our star already, being nearly 4.5 billion years old, and realize once our planet was formed and cooled enough to hold itself and atmosphere together, life began soon after that.

So from the first RNA molecule to the first living single cell of life on earth, maybe just 2 to 3 hundred million years elapsed. Yet it took that single cell of life to form a multicellular life form of a worm, 3 more billion years.

My point is of life on earth estimated at over 4 B years a common earthworm was the top of the food chain less than 1/4 of the time of life on earth, and man is but at most, 0.02% of that time of the worm.

So yes, considering chemistry, particle physics, and mathematics, one has a case to suggest that it is possible for life on earth to be the seniors so far, the first born, or at least maybe in the top 5%.

Or not.

Originally posted by domasio
reply to post by AmmonSeth

Very good point, it is always a possibility. In fact, i've never seen anyone use that argument before, kinda caught me off guard for a second

The burden has to fall on one species,
Why are most people SO blind to the fact it may very well be you.

As Illustronic explained in more detail there,
You exist relatively early in the lifespan of the universe,
Around the time when stars (and planets) are first starting to contain all
the necessary building blocks for life.

It is far safer to assume that you are the first,
As opposed to assuming that there are countless other forms of
intellingent life out there that evolved eons before you did.

I stand by my first post.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
So imagine that you sit in front of a huge computer screen showing the view through the Hubble telescope. Your keyboard gives you total control of this device so you can pan and scan and focus on whatever you like.
How many stars would be visible to you? How many of the bright specks you see are actually galaxies containing billions of stars?
Do the numbers impress you?
So I stand next to you and tell you there is no life on any of the lights within your view.
You call me a fool. You think me ignorant, stupid, whatever.
The odds demand that there is life out there.
I pat you on the head like a small child and ask only that you remember how absolutely certain of that fact you are right now. Right now you 'know' there is other life on worlds orbiting those specks of light. You would bet your life on it.
Then you wake up.
Your error in the dream was that you assumed you were in possession of all the relevant facts.
You assumed you had a grasp of the true nature of the reality you were experiencing.
You assumed that because you could see bright little dots on the computer screen that these represented actual stars out in space with actual planets orbiting them.
But that is not what is happening now. Now you are awake.
Now you 'know' that you are in possession of all the relevant facts
Now you 'know' that you have a grasp on the true nature of the reality you are experiencing.
Now you 'know' that every bright little dot you see is an actual star with potential planets orbiting them.
And now you know this is all real.
These facts should not be confused with what you 'believe'.
The experiments that prove the objective reality of your universe can not be experienced in a mere dream because..???...because....???....because you 'know'!
And you 'know' all those theoretical physicist who suggest that matter and space and time are illusions are wrong because..??? ...because...???...because you 'know'!
Fascinating

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Many people, those severely religous bound and those hardly religious, believe that the human form reigns supreme in the Universe. It must be so because they can contemplate our high position.

The only possible entity that could be higher (a more advanced intelligence and not even necessarily a "life form" itselt) is God.

They are pleasently satisfied with that conclusion and want no other and will look no further despite what clues otherwise that science and the UFOs continually relay.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
Many people, those severely religous bound and those hardly religious, believe that the human form reigns supreme in the Universe. It must be so because they can contemplate our high position.

The only possible entity that could be higher (a more advanced intelligence and not even necessarily a "life form" itselt) is God.

They are pleasently satisfied with that conclusion and want no other and will look no further despite what clues otherwise that science and the UFOs continually relay.

I'm not sure if the UFO phenomenon has that much to do with it for many people. There are a LOT of people who believe in life elsewhere in the universe, but are not yet convinced that intelligent life is visiting the Earth.

"Is there life in the universe?"
and
"Is the Earth being visited by ETs?"

are two totally separate questions to many people, such as myself.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

And I would agree with you in the general sense, but I live within the so called "Bible Belt." Right down the road from me lives a Baptist minister. and next to him are an old couple. I have spoken to all of them quite a bit, and all agree that:

a. The only Souls created by Jesus/God are right here on Earth, there are no other inhabited planets, period.

b. Any flying craft that is not an airplane is a Demon from Hell.

c. Any ET being, not matter where from, or what purpose, is a Demon.

d. Anyone who does not have "The Lord in their heart," is in fact Demon possessed.

None of them own, or watch television, or read any books not "Christian." The minister had a nice old car collection, worth over 10 grand, all financed by his pay and "offerings/tithes."

The minister has a child my boy's age, and always wants my boy to go play at their house, but the boy is not allowed into my house, because of "a demonic influence."

I know it is not that way everywhere, and in fact, in some places, it is worse. The Cult-like mentality of the local religious folks are a laughing stock to the secular people.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
we could be the first or last, but I think my answer would be we are among TRILLIONS of Civilizations.

Earth hosts millions of distinct forms of life, ONE PLANET.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
There are few, if any serious scientists in any fields touching on these matters who think we're alone in the universe. I've never heard of a major astrophysicist who thinks we're alone. Quite a few of them are engaged in the active pursuit of trying to find evidence of life elsewhere.

The basic ingredients of life are made up of most of the most common elements in the Universe (except for Helium, which is chemically inert). But hydrogen, carbon, iron, nitrogen, oxygen... these are the most important elements in making up life as we know it and they also happen to be everywhere in the Universe, in general. So not only is it likely that life is out there, since chemistry works the same everywhere too, but it's likely to be (at least at the most basic chemical level) a lot like life on Earth.

I think only those who are ignorant of the science (willfully or not) are the only ones likely to believe that we are alone.

Now, the chances of other intelligent civilizations are a lot smaller, of course. It took a long time for one to arise on Earth. We don't know if we're average for that sort of thing, very fast or very slow. It could be an intelligent, civilization creating species should have arisen much earlier, but Earth got unlucky that way. Or it's just vanishingly hard for that sort of thing to happen which is why it took so long. We only have one example of such a thing to base our assumptions on, and from a scientific perspective that's a very poor sample set to work from.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I suppose living in the northeast U.S., I'm not exposed to those bible belt people. There is a large baptist contingency where I live because of a Baptist College near me, but it seems maybe the "Northern" Baptists are more easy-going.

Anyway, I still feel that the majority of people in the U.S. and other "progressive thinking" countries have not been brainwashed from a young age into believing that life on Earth is the only life in the universe.

like I said before, our popular culture, our scientists, and even most schools (although, as you point out, maybe not the Southern U.S. "bible belt" schools) seem to be of the mindset of being very open to the possibility of life elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Well, if you were to ask most scientist they would probably tell you that the probability of life in the universe beyond ours is 100%. I think you would only run into an argument saying that no life exists outside of earth would be the most hardcore religious fanatics.

Then there is also a lot of people that probably just troll and say stuff for their own personal entertainment.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

First i believe there's a high probability of life in the universe but that by no means is proof. The circumstances that created life on earth could be so unique that were it. We have no way of knowing until we actually find another planet with life. Probability only works if you know all the equations to plug in. Now starting this thread the way you did is disingenuous because i guarantee better then 90 percent of people believe in the possibility of life in the universe.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Timing
Well, if you were to ask most scientist they would probably tell you that the probability of life in the universe beyond ours is 100%....

Actually, a really good scientist would say life elsewhere is a 99.99999999% probability at best -- until we have actual hard proof of it. Any scientist worth anything would never say the probability of something is 100% without having that hard evidence (and, no -- the sheer size of the universe/number of stars/number of planets is NOT hard proof. It's very, very good evidence, but not proof).

The term "Almost Surely" when used in scientific theories actually has a very specific and precise scientific meaning. The term "Almost Surely" used in science means the probability of something happening is virtually 100%, but not quite 100%.

...But, yes -- I agree with your sentiment. There are very, very few scientists who would say that humans are the only intelligent life in the universe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join