It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA - Startling Proof of Image Manipulation of Mars Photos

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
In the words of my girlfriend "they are not even trying; that's not even airbrushed that's the erase tool."

And that about sums it up.

These are some pictures from the panoramic camera on Spirit rover taken Sol 1353. They are on NASA's website, that is where I got them.

Check out the white smudge. And perhaps you could argue that it was a lens artifact or something of the sort but then we look at the next picture in the sequence.

That's frikking hilarious.

And just for good measure here's a shot from the navigational camera from the same day.

You can see the object in question in the middle-right of the image. It appears as if they did switch to the airbrush tool on this one.

What could it be?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Does NASA and other space agencies airbrush in my opinion....? Yes. Is this an obvious airbrushed picture in my opinion..... No.

It is an image artifact created by the camera. All three pictures are affected in the same way citing most probably dust on the lens.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JayDub113

I see what you are talking about on the first two. The last one I'm not so sure but I just woke up so my system may still be loading.

What do you think they are hiding?

Who knows with these guys.
edit on 31-3-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayDub113
In the words of my girlfriend "they are not even trying; that's not even airbrushed that's the erase tool."

Everyone will ask for examination of the original images, and thats perfectly right, but your accusation can be debunked even sooner.

Cant be the erase tool. There is real, actual detail in the area you speak of.

Basically, you the human viewer are seeing what you call "white", when actually there is still detail there.
Maybe your eyes are no good, maybe your monitor needs recalibration, but you cant blame NASA for that.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Okay so it's there then what is it?

Are you sayin it's dust on the lens or what?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I am open to any explanation, but how does dust on a lens white out an object in an image? How does it white out an object but take on a different shape in a subsequent image?

I am sorry but I disagree. Show an example supporting that statement.

I did notice there are whited-out areas on some of the adjacent rocks which seem to coincide with the highlight areas of the images. If image artifacts it is, then we are talking about a very bright, reflective object which, in my opinion, still begs the question 'what is that?'

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Can you please post links to the original pictures so we can see where they came from on Mars.

Thanks

I love Mars anomalies and my favorite is this one here:
Mars skull? Statue?
bottom left....

Found them

Panoramic Spirit 1353

Spirit Nav Cam
edit on 3/31/2012 by mblahnikluver because: add link

edit on 3/31/2012 by mblahnikluver because: fix links

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Do that analysis on the second image, and compare it to the first one in all its detail.

Based on what you say since it is an actual object with detail it will look the same in two different pictures, correct?

1, 2, 3 Go....

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The source for all the images is NASA.

marsrover.nasa.gov...

These pictures were all taken on Sol 1353. There are several different cameras that all captured images, just pick which ones you want to see.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
Does NASA and other space agencies airbrush in my opinion....? Yes. Is this an obvious airbrushed picture in my opinion..... No.

It is an image artifact created by the camera. All three pictures are affected in the same way citing most probably dust on the lens.

I don't think its dust on the lens,
the white smudges seems to change forn fron the one picture to the other.

I go with glitch

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Wow, where are the flamers and debunkers? Come on guys, what do you think this is?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Given that another poster showed these areas have some depth and detail to them, within the bleached white areas, I'd suggest another possibility. The whole image is bright. Could these two items, whatever they are, be washed out by simple contrast and exposure settings?

The shape and texture of the OP images and that blow up showing the texture within the white area make me think of quartz. Perhaps this is just some material reflecting a bit higher than everything else? Just a thought....

edit on 31-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
There is proof that NASA manipulate Martian pictures , the OP image may not be it but this is .....

Sundial on Mars ...

Sundial on earth ...

Caught bang to rights

edit on 31-3-2012 by gortex because: edit to edit

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
It's definitely not something on the lens, It's in 3 different location for a start! And even in the remote possibility it was dust that happened to fly around the lens, what are the chances of it covering the same area every time? That theory is ridiculous!

I'm not liking the reflective flare either, don't flares usually appear circular? These look scratched out. It sure is strange.

I have no idea as to what it could be. The area doesn't look to be very big, so if they were trying to hide something, what could it be?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I considered that too. And I think the reflectivity does have something to do with it.

But look at this.

There is nothing there in the first image, as shown in the second to cause such a "white-out".

This is blatant image tampering.

edit on 31-3-2012 by JayDub113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by JayDub113

Everyone will ask for examination of the original images, and thats perfectly right, but your accusation can be debunked even sooner.

Cant be the erase tool. There is real, actual detail in the area you speak of.

Basically, you the human viewer are seeing what you call "white", when actually there is still detail there.
Maybe your eyes are no good, maybe your monitor needs recalibration, but you cant blame NASA for that.

You can set the opacity of the erase tool, so it is possible to have detail. You can also use brushes which erase patterns as well. I'm not saying that these images represent that, but it is possible to erase and still show detail.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
So if it's not glare off a shiny flat rock, what do you think it is? And why would NASA airbrush the image rather than just not release the image at all?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I don't know if they used the erase tool or not, that isn't the point. These images have been manipulated, obviously. I am more interested in why they have been altered, and what could possibly be being concealed than I am with the inner-workings of the erase tool.

What are we looking at?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
here is another image of the object without the smear

couldn't get the scrolbar sorry

edit on 31-3-2012 by DutchBigBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
So if it's not glare off a shiny flat rock, what do you think it is? And why would NASA airbrush the image rather than just not release the image at all?

So with your rhetorical question about "what would NASA do?" do you agree that both photos have obviously been manipulated? The thread isn't about 'what would NASA do' it's about 'NASA manipulated photos and here they are.'

Do you have anything to add pertaining to that topic, or ANY evidence to refute said supposition?

1, 2, 3 go....
edit on 31-3-2012 by JayDub113 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join