It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cbeebies forming childrens perceptions.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Im not a tv fanatic, if I lived alone I wouldn't give one space in my home. However I live with my son and grandson and they both still enjoy the Tel I evil.
This morning Im sat in the dining room while they are both in the lounge watching a kids programe called Nina and the Neurons. I always thought this was one of the better programes aimed at kids until just a minute ago.
Nina was bleating on about muscles and how they keep us strong. She went onto say that science has now proven that a healthy body equals a healthy mind. So far so good..
Then I got upset, when she told her young viewing public that the word mind is another word for brain?
How can that actually be so? I remember someone telling me years ago that many indigenous peoples around the globe believe their mind dwells in the heart region.
Im sure I have read that people who have been through NDE's can still do so even when the brain is registering no activity?
So there you have it Nina and her feckless neurons are implanting ideas in our youth. I know as rants go this one is pretty pathetic, I didn't think it really deserved to be put in the conspiracy forum either but I did want to get it off my chest.
When I was a kid if I did something daft my dad would poke me in the head and tell me to think, with my kids when I ask them to think I always touch my heart. Peace all.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I think you are reading too much into it.

If you micro-manage your child's media consumption to this degree, it will grow up sheltered. Just my opinion.

Part of growing up is learning not to think so linerally about things.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TheXoor

You could well be right, the thing I like least about me is the way I micro manage all around me. This could just be one of those situations. As I was posting it I realised for a rant it wasn't to huge, but that didn't stop the manager in me from posting it anyway

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
You do realize that most people don't know the difference between the mind and the brain right?
I would think its just a case of the script writer not knowing what is what.

No need to be upset over it.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Me and my boy love Nina and the neurons!

Whatever they watch atleast you can educate them with the truth if they ask questions.
Don't scare them though!

edit on 31-3-2012 by SilentE because: typo

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Well, I think it would be a little difficult to explain to a child that the Brain creates the Mind, which in turn creates the Brain, which creates the Mind.

Start small for the small people.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
cbeebies isn't too bad on most cases.

some of the kids channels are just full of insane cartoons which will just leave your kids needing meds to concentrate when they are at school.

kids don't think they way we do at that age. don't worry about them.

(for yourself, your commets on the mind and the brain were interesting. you might like to read 'a new earth' by eckhart tolle)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Thank you all for taking the time to comment. Im over it and maybe had I hit the preview button first I wouldn't have posted it, lesson learnt there

I agree with all of you and trust me Im laughing at myself right now. The tv is still in the corner of the room and can remain, I will remember this thread every time I get neurotic (haha) over anything menial again.
Peace all.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

I think more than anything that is what upset me most, that kids don't think the way we do. I know I was thought through prodding, to think with my head. I totally believe if we think from the heart it immeadiately transforms the thought process.
Even though I am aware of peoples who believe that the mind dwells in the heart region, and I love the concept I cannot shift my mind from within my head. Now that sounded slightly lala but thats the day im having so please bear with me.
Whatever action I take I try my best to do it from a place of love, had I not been so conditioned in earlier life I believe my mind would not be so locked into my cranium. So thinking/acting from a place of love is my way of compensating.
I have heard of Eckhart Tolle but never read any of his stuff, he is now on my list thank you

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by serenecalamityz

Not only children but parents too.

eg.;

For children, the Lingo Show and the Big Bug Show are both introductions to foreign languages, including Mandarin!

For parents, on line, a list of experts employed by the BBC to provide (nanny) advice to parents.

www.bbc.co.uk...

I support your comments about the approach the programme takes to mind/brain. It seems to me the programme is encouraging children to think of their mind as merely a mechanism of the brain, a strictly physical entity. Perhaps this is developmental and more philosophical understandings of the workings of the mind is introduced in programming for older children?

top topics

join