It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Doomlove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love SHTF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Doomb. Like many of you, I have lived it, breathed it, and even reveled in it, for years. Decades, even.

No longer.

Today I say goodbye to doom. Today I stop huffing the acrid, sweaty tang of my own paranoia, open my window, take a breath of fresh air, and start facing life on its own terms.

I guess I'm just sick of freaking out about everything, only to have it all be more or less business as usual.

Let's see, where to begin. Maybe back in the 1980s, when I was a wide-eyed suburban boy growing up in the USA with fears that the Russkies were going to drop a nuke on my head at any minute. Perhaps those early cold-war nightmares (nourished by simultaneously mesmerizing and horrifying fare such as The Day After and Red Dawn) are the genesis of my paranoid world view. In any event, none of those fears came to pass.

Then came the end of the cold war, but with very little break for this nascent doomer. We had the first Gulf War, which was going to turn into WWIII or at the very least destroy America: Never happened. We had the Japanese, who were going to take over the world through their economic might and superior skillz: Never happened. Global warming would render the world uninhabitable by the year 2000: Never happened. Y2K was going to send us back to the stone age: Never happened. The dotcom crash was to be the end of capitalism: Never happened. The housing bubble/2008 finance crisis was going to be the real deal for that: Never happened. Gulf of Mexico oil crisis was going to kill off all life as we know it: Never happened. Fukushima meant we would enter 2012 with our skin peeling off: Never happened.

See a pattern here, anyone?

This stuff is a mental prison. How much enjoyment of life have I wasted over the last 30 years worrying about all of the above – totally needlessly? How has this hurt my mind? What kinds of opportunities has my pessimism deprived me of? Pessimism and paranoai can seem like good defensive attitudes – but if they are not rooted in truth, its just another delusion. A WORSE delusion, even.

Another thing I’ve realized: people use doom as an excuse to retreat from their own failures. “Well, if TSHTF tomorrow and we’re all out battling in the street for cans of soup, it won’t matter that I never went to college / have a crappy job/ didn’t get that chick I wanted / have a funny looking face / am about to get foreclosed on.” The great equalizer, and a great fantasy to retreat into in the face of life’s complications. But this is not a good enough reason to indulge in doom – again, its just another form of delusion and denial.

I still love this board, and I’m still going to be posting here, because there are some VERY smart, VERY interesting people here. But my days as a doom-o-haulic are officially over.

Does anyone else pick up on what I'm putting down?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
The real doom comes just after you captiulate and give up, every time. This post is a sign that the end of the world as we know it is right around the corner.

See you tomorrow in the street as we battle each other for cans of soup.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
No No No LOL You are forgetting all the things that are going to get you!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Disclaimer:

This thread supported by Govt. Drones.

It's OK, go back to your lives: Don't question authority.

Pass go, collect $200.00 with 15% inflation.

Nothing to see.....

Message ends:

P

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Everyone has a life and the life goes in phases. You reached a new phase. Congratulations.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FailedProphet

Yeah i used to worry a lot about that stuff too, I used to be scared of the mayan prophesy but i just figured that i would be much happier just not thinking about it, and if anything does happen im sure i can take care of myself, i can start a fire, and i can learn how to hunt or something so i think im good.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FailedProphet

so true...

we all struggle with it. Even I.

But it's good to stop and think about things instead of reacting to them...which is what we naturally do.

Our instincts are to react and come up with a quick solution or reason.......those are survival skills.

They, plus thinking clearly balance each other out.

good topic OP

top topics

join