It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General Conspiracy to dumb down grammar !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Folks, there is a difference between "to" and "too"!

Too means 'as well' or conveys the idea of 'in excess'.
To is a preposition (e.g., Give it to her.) or is used to show the infinitive form of a verb (e.g., I want to run.)

Source: www.grammar-monster.com...

There is a huge grammar related conspiracy here on ATS! I've had enough

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Don't forget loose vs lose.
That one always gets me frustrated when I see people mix them up.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Quibbler because: clarification lol

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Aww. don't take it to heart. There, their, they're. It takes two to tango too yanno.

Shameless plug for a fail thread of mine but nonetheless, English can be confusing at the best of times.
The Chaos.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Don't forget 'bollicks' and 'bollocks'.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Terrible style on the site you quote, because they have put two sentences in parenthesis that require no full stops, which should only come at the end of the complete sentence.

They could have used better conventions to make their point, such as separating the examples with spaces and colons, or even simple quotation marks.

This is a most dreadful example to our youth, and a perversion of grammar.

What if we all did this, and added full stops in our parentheses?

Then we'd make a jolly mess of things, wouldn't we?

Perhaps a question or exclamation mark would have been forgivable, but this example of grammar is unsightly.

To crown it all, they omit a full stop where it really belongs: at the end of their sentence!

Too means 'as well' or conveys the idea of 'in excess'.
To is a preposition (e.g., Give it to her.) or is used to show the infinitive form of a verb (e.g., I want to run.)

edit on 30-3-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

i am two dumbed down too care

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Thanks for the English Class! Since the Aliens took me back in Sept-2006 my grammer and math skills have gone down. I guess being telepathic is not special enough! Everyone on the Telepathic Link remind me of how my cognitive skills have gone down since my attack! Heck, I just cant help it!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

ME TOO!! Or is that ME TO! I have forgotten already!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I've noticed that we've already lost the less/fewer and the amount/number distinctions. I've particularly noticed it in commercials on TV--well, in advertising in general. The worst of it is that I believe the people who write advertising actually know the difference, but they're afraid actual correct usage will jar their target audience too much--possibly wake them up or make them think for a moment, and the result would be too disastrous.

I have little hope for what's to become of the English language. Any time someone brings up grammar around here they're hooted down. No one cares (except the so-called "grammar police"--that is, you and me).

Lame excuses, defensive argumentation, invitations to do physically impossible things to oneself....

It's pointless and sad. Maybe someday there'll be a Grammar forum, and at least the people who care can go there for instruction in the finer points (and maybe to commiserate).

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Don't forget l337 speak which was once used exclusively by gamers, and has now been forced upon forums via 4chan and reddit - the whole internet is full of crap grammar and idiocy.

Take pride in language, don't dismantle it into retarded buffoonery.

Don't even get me started on the tl;dr crowd

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
My grammar can suck. But have you watched an old black and white movie with just words?!?!

Had me screaming at the TV lol

Evolution?!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Apollo7

I once heard a second-language Asian teacher explain it, and it seemed helpful at the time:
"You eat too much, and you get too fat. So "too" is always too far or too much, so it has one too many "o".

edit on 31-3-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
ASK! not axe.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Marshall or Martial. There is a difference.

learned and learnt.

Conspiracy? Or just an inability to grasp the importance of verbal and written communication skills.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
THEN and THAN is one of my pet peeves.

I have noticed an increasing number of people that spell dying, dieing. Same with other words. Also a lot of the time people can't spell "a lot" but spell it ALOT.

Are you aloud to spell allowed wrong?

And the weird thing is, that most of the time I see all these words spelled wrong, it is by native english speakers.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
So, isn't acceptable either as an opener.
The level or basic grammar here can be so bad at times it makes it hard to think much of the people posting.

We need a grammar moderator!

POST DELETED DUE TO GRAMMAR!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Where and were.
Are and our.
I think then and than have been mentioned.
You would think that some people would learn just from reading.
We definitely need a grammar police.

People who have trouble with misspelling should use their word program.
I frequently phonetisize words.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
Where and were.
Are and our.
I think then and than have been mentioned.
You would think that some people would learn just from reading.
We definitely need a grammar police.

People who have trouble with misspelling should use their word program.
I frequently phonetisize words.

"You would think that some people would learn just from reading."

I know--right? You would think. Unfortunately you'd be wrong...

edit on 3/31/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Spellcheck killed grammar years ago, and Nickelback killed heavy metal. All you need to know, move on. Xenongod

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

OMG it's like so tru! BTW IMHO it's like sucks lemons! LOL You must be sooo English!

You do realize that the language that is spoken is the language of this time. There are many nations converging opinions at once, it is the thought process and not the grammar that counts. Oh and predictive text is to blame too. I normally type in Word and paste over - right now I'm on my iPhone, and who knows what trouble I could be in by the end of this six pence!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join