It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"End of World" Imminent: This WARNING is very real.

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by shortsticks

I thought that was self apparent? Sorry I would have mentioned it otherwise. They keep throwing that crap at us and everytime when it fails they get us more and more conditioned to immediately discredit these kinds of things no matter how much truth that may be to it.

/E: Xcalibur I have found your problem.... You keep arguing the point of other "accepted" mainstream scientist who are put in place to immediately try and discredit them. They can plot some bs as story just as you are accusing others of doing and as long as their argument falls in line with your net of safety you accept it. Anything different you run scared from.
edit on 4-4-2012 by SonofLeod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Sorry. Still learning the ropes. I just let on my opinion but I'm of the belief any opinion is valid.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SonofLeod

good answer. I'll look more into your words.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AccusedNut

me too, no harm, no foul...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Despite what New Agers claim the "Maya calendar" is not that advanced. First there is no one Mayan calendar. They had a few different calendars that were used for different purposes. I will assume you are referring to the Long Count as that is the one associated with 2012. The Long Count is actually as basic as you can get when it comes to a calendar. It is merely a count of days. Despite what people claim it does not end nor does it repeat. The purpose behind it was to allow for reference to dates that fell outside the current 52 year Calendar Round cycle.

Allow me to explain this. The Calendar Round was a 52 year cycle composed of two different calendars. The first is the Haab which was their solar calendar. However, despite the common claims, it was not as accurate as our current Gregorian Calendar as it only considered a year to be an even 365 days. The other calendar was the 260 day Tzolkin. This was used to determine the date for religious events. Every day was given a Haab date and a Tzolkin date. After 52 years the cycle would repeat and you would have the same Haab and Tzolkin date together. The Long Count then allowed for them to refer to dates outside this cycle. It serves much the same purpose as years serve for us.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

Despite what New Agers claim the "Maya calendar" is not that advanced. First there is no one Mayan calendar. They had a few different calendars that were used for different purposes. I will assume you are referring to the Long Count as that is the one associated with 2012. The Long Count is actually as basic as you can get when it comes to a calendar. It is merely a count of days. Despite what people claim it does not end nor does it repeat. The purpose behind it was to allow for reference to dates that fell outside the current 52 year Calendar Round cycle.

Allow me to explain this. The Calendar Round was a 52 year cycle composed of two different calendars. The first is the Haab which was their solar calendar. However, despite the common claims, it was not as accurate as our current Gregorian Calendar as it only considered a year to be an even 365 days. The other calendar was the 260 day Tzolkin. This was used to determine the date for religious events. Every day was given a Haab date and a Tzolkin date. After 52 years the cycle would repeat and you would have the same Haab and Tzolkin date together. The Long Count then allowed for them to refer to dates outside this cycle. It serves much the same purpose as years serve for us.

so are you a white man trying to understand the mayan calander? if you are, then you'll lend not much credibility to yourself. if you're not....

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

The Long Count has not been in use since the Classic period so the claim that modern Maya know more about it verges on racism. As I said though the calendar system is actually fairly simple to understand and just a little research makes it apparent how the whole thing worked. Instead of going into detail I will simply link to a thread I created on the topic.

The Mayan Calendar Explained

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

again, are you an expert in the field?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

If you're asking if I have a PhD. with a focus on the Mayans, no. However, I have done an enormous amount of research into them and probably know more about them than most members on here. You are free to review my research by reading the threads linked in my signature.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

edit on 5-4-2012 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by shortsticks
so now my thread get deleted? wtf?

Shortsticks,

Thought that this might help when you decide to start a new thread.

~ Tips on your first thread ~.

new topics

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join