It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public School teachers crossing the line?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
What is your opinion on public school teachers giving their students presents for Easter, Christmas and/or any other religious based holiday; or any present given for a religious reason.
I mean its not like even if you are offended you are going to say no to a nice chocolate egg or something.

I think this is a big no no for young primary school students who could be mislead or 'bribed' into something or certain beliefs.
Children are extremely vulnerable and its not fair for a teacher to push a certain belief.

The reason I raise this is people usually wouldn't see giving a present as a bad thing, but that is the point isn't it.
You're not going to get kids to believe something by giving them something bad are you.

IMO there is no difference between this and actually preaching.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

If they are using gifts as tools for propaganda, then it should not be allowed. However, everyone is entitled to opinion and religion. So if it is in a non "shove down your throat" kind of way, then I see no problem with it.

But you will always have that hag of a mother that complains about it....

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

If they are using gifts as tools for propaganda, then it should not be allowed. However, everyone is entitled to opinion and religion. So if it is in a non "shove down your throat" kind of way, then I see no problem with it.

But you will always have that hag of a mother that complains about it....

Well of course they are nice about it, that is the point.
As I said in the OP, if you to make someone believe what you believe your not going to be an ass about it.
Technically it is shoving it down your throat because a kid cant an wont say no, will they?

So you are saying it IS ok for a religious person to have their opinion but if someone doesn't want it forced on their child they are a hag?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Separation of church and state forbids the giving of gifts for religious holidays. If a teacher gives one of my kids a gift, holiday/ birthday or whatever,Im going to be asking some serious questions as to why and make sure it is returned

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I think you are going a little over-board on this one.

Kids don't give a crap about religion at that age. They just enjoy getting "stuff". When I was in elementary school, we had a secret santa thing going on every year. You would pull a name out of a hat and get that person a gift.

I never bought in to the whole christianity/jesus birthday sham.

I would like to believe most people are aware that christmas is a scam to get you to waste money on crap no one needs.
edit on 30-3-2012 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Seriously...???

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
Seriously...???
I am assuming you are Christian because of your name and picture.
How would you like an Islamic or Muslim person giving your child presents for one of their religious practices?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
I think you are going a little over-board on this one.

Kids don't give a crap about religion at that age. They just enjoy getting "stuff". When I was in elementary school, we had a secret santa thing going on every year. You would pull a name out of a hat and get that person a gift.

I never bought in to the whole christianity/jesus birthday sham.

I would like to believe most people are aware that christmas is a scam to get you to waste money on crap no one needs.
edit on 30-3-2012 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)
I know it seems a little like that but seriously how else would you go about converting someone?
I cant think of a better way then showering them with gifts etc..
Kids do give a crap about religion, many are forced to.

I dont know how old you are but that inst acceptable in modern society.
Sure if it wasn't related to a religious event it would be fine but not in a religious pretext.

Nor did I but I am saying this for the defenseless children who might not be so smart as to ignore what adults tell them is actually real.

People are not aware of that, clearly.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies

Seriously...???
How would you like an Islamic or Muslim person giving your child presents for one of their religious practices?

Would not have a problem with it gifts are harmless, and it is important kids are educated about different faiths. What I would have a problem about is evolutionists trying to push there fairy tales on my kids and calling it a fact. I could make a whole topic about that and name it the same as this topic...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Seriously...???

Would not have a problem with it gifts are harmless, and it is important kids are educated about different faiths. What I would have a problem about is evolutionists trying to push there fairy tales on my kids and calling it a fact. I could make a whole topic about that and name it the same as this topic...
Right and if your kid ended up converting?
Education is important, but this is not education; this is bribery.

Evolution is actually fact tho and they dont go around bribing little kids with chocolate.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Seriously...???

Evolution is actually fact tho and they dont go around bribing little kids with chocolate.

Look at the double standard... And No they just bribe them with dinosaurs instead.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Seriously...???

Look at the double standard... And No they just bribe them with dinosaurs instead.
If you actually believe dinosaurs didn't exist I am going to assume you are a troll

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

How's them transitional fossils coming along?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

What is your opinion on public school teachers giving their students presents for Easter, Christmas and/or any other religious based holiday; or any present given for a religious reason.

Depends.

If they are truly religious - - as in Christian specific - - I'd be contacting the school district.

If they are Nature inspired as incentive - - based in Paganism - which is basically about Life-Food-Reproduction - - I'd probably let it slide.

I think understanding the Winter/Summer Solstice is a good science lesson. Eggs are also about Life - - New Life. The Christian Easter is just another stolen holiday.

I'm sure some parents have their children bring gifts to the teacher. I don't think young children should feel ashamed at giving a gift to their teacher.
edit on 31-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
You guys realize that you don't have to give gifts for religious reasons and many holidays can be secular, don't you? Christmas is one good example.

So if a school promoted an Easter egg hunt, would that be a violation of church and state? There is gift giving in that scenario too, you know.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

there should be IQ testing for teachers and Congress and mandatory drug testing for all public servants. We the people have to power to do this.

we're not having much Unity in Diversity in the public school system that's for sure...

additionally: I want to know what anti psychotic or other drugs any of these people are on... it must be divulged to the public because we have a right to know what medications (which interact with psychology) these people are taking... specially as I say Congress! (heck, just look at Nancy Pelosi getting up there on national television somewhere off in lala-land...)

tipsy a bit?

www.weeklystandard.com...

edit on 31-3-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
There is no such thing as a right to know. If there was I'd demand that you post naked pictures of yourself on the internet because people have a right to know what you look like naked. Of course you'd say no because people who use right to know will fall back on the double standard that the right to know only applies to the other guy and not to them.

The point is that people have a right to privacy. Right to know is a bunch of crap and just made up by the press to justify their complete invasions of privacy.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I mean its not like even if you are offended you are going to say no to a nice chocolate egg or something.

I think this is a big no no for young primary school students who could be mislead or 'bribed' into something or certain beliefs.
Children are extremely vulnerable and its not fair for a teacher to push a certain belief.

The reason I raise this is people usually wouldn't see giving a present as a bad thing, but that is the point isn't it.
You're not going to get kids to believe something by giving them something bad are you.

IMO there is no difference between this and actually preaching.

you know why we put a Apple on the teachers desk?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
There is no such thing as a right to know. If there was I'd demand that you post naked pictures of yourself on the internet because people have a right to know what you look like naked. Of course you'd say no because people who use right to know will fall back on the double standard that the right to know only applies to the other guy and not to them.

The point is that people have a right to privacy. Right to know is a bunch of crap and just made up by the press to justify their complete invasions of privacy.

we certainly have the right to know if our teachers are on drugs... recently in Fairfax county a teacher was busted for dealing drugs and also manufacturing drugs.

we also do have the right to know what if any anti-psychotics or illegal drugs that Our supposed voice in Congress (speaking on behalf of the American public) are taking if any.

we have a "Right" to know when it comes to this...

edit on 31-3-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Show me the law. Otherwise the right to know is a bunch of crap.

Post your pictures of you naked.

Post your medical records. We have a right to know what medications you're on, if you believe so strongly.

There is no such thing as the right to know. It's just a made up right.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join