It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BMW unveiled the world's fastest hydrogen-powered car

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Good for the environment air pollution wise, but how much is a bottle of water?

PARIS (Reuters) - German luxury carmaker BMW unveiled the world's fastest hydrogen-powered car at the Paris auto show on Wednesday, dubbed the H2R, capable of exceeding 300 kilometers (185 miles) per hour.

Unlike most hydrogen-powered vehicles, the H2R doesn't operate on a fuel cell but rather uses a modified 6-litre, 12-cylinder combustion engine for its propulsion that essentially emits nothing but steam

Goeschel, responsible for technology and development at BMW, said the streamlined rocket car sprints from 0 to 100 kmh in about six seconds and reached a top speed of 302.4 kmh on BMW's test track at Miramas, France.
more

[edit on 23-9-2004 by Sauron]

IBM

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Nice is this actually going to become a production car eventually or is it just Val/Dem type of experimental hardware?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Thats cool! The problem is two fold.

First, like it has already been asked, is it going into production?

The second, is it affordable. AKA can you get one for under $30,000?

If so, it looks like in the not so distant future we could have very clean cars

BTW, IBM - you might want to change the color of your name or background from black. The mods don't like it when they can't read your name.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Jesus Christ that's an ugly ass car!

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Is that an Artist Rendering or a real pic. Because I would agree that its not easy on the eyes, hybrids and other sources for gas replacments need to come up with better looking car bodies, because people wont buy a POS lookin car. Also, it looks like it has one seat, and where is the real wheels. I hate it when auto maneufactures try and hide the real wheel, it does not look good.

BMW will tarnish there "class" if they keep that body style.

They should use the Ford GR-1 Body, its currently a concept but DAMN it looks good.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I think it looks decent and wtf would i care at 180mph.

(Kiss my exhaust Highway patrol XXX)

I have to say the GR-1 is a pretty wicked looking body.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I bet the Japanese Probally have some thing Better then that BMW, Ah the Japanese can be very sneaky.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
If you get pics and info on what the Japanese have , demand you post it.

I will be drooling in anticipation.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Holy poop on a stick, that Shelby is one damned fine looking piece of machinery. So it's still a concept car? With the trend to redo old classics (monaro, torana etc) I hope they decide to mass produce this car. It looks like a beast....also looks like you'd be able to impale someone on the rear spoiler/boot
...shame Ford ran Jaguar into the ground *takes a moment of silence*

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
that thing is very ugly, but its just a prototype and nothing more I'm sure.

I wonder what they have to really modify to burn hydrogen? I would imagine they have to use stainless steel, or some exotic alloy or a special coating/treatment as it produces steam, and couldn't that become a big corrosion issue?

The Japanese need to build a turbo charged hydrogen inhaling monster

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I didn't read the article until Boosted talked about steam.

Thats wierd, I just assumed it was feul cell, which would you rather have comming out of your exhaust pipe, fresh drinkable water dripping, or hot steam shooting out, hmmmmmm...tough one.

Edit: another thing, This is a dumb move on BMW's part because a big issue in todays world is Global Warming, and having your car emmit steam isn't going to help. California is a big hot dry state, they have the most fires every year, the most cars on the road, and its just really dry there and they have alot of water rescrictions, so i'd rather see water dripping from a tailpipe, and not steam.

[edit on 24-9-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Steam is water as Im sure you know. It would quickly condense into water.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I need to see pics of the motor. How it works and what-not.

Does the motor get hot? Very intresting.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Steam is water as Im sure you know. It would quickly condense into water.

Yes, but steam is as hot as water gets, i'd prefer the colder of the two methods.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
This is not a good looking car, heres a site with real pics of it, from all angles except under the hood.

BMW's cleanest & ugliest car all rolled into one.

[edit on 24-9-2004 by Murcielago]

new topics

top topics

join