It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America Gets Lottery Fever:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Coming into a large lump sum of money like say, 640 Million dollars could be great. If in fact you knew what you wanted to do with it and hire financial advisers right away, you could essentially become as powerful as one of TPTB like Rockerfeller. However, no lottery winner has ever had much success investing their money, or they just quit their jobs and relaxed for the rest of their lives, making small personal investments here and there.

I don't know about you but I DO have a "Lottery List" Something I made up when I was bored one day. I listed what I would do with a Billion dollars.

Now, if this lottery is not won tonight, then we wait until Tuesday and the jackpot could go way past a $Billion!

All you philosophers out there, what makes people peruse the dream of winning the lottery, and why do people spend so much money doing it? Especially since the odds are pretty much astronomically against you! I thought that since America has indeed gotten lottery fever, it would be cool to talk about the philosophy around the Lottery.

Buying lottery tix is like asking the gov't to tax you for free, while you pay them money to do it! It's that stupid.

No conspiracies please...
edit on 30-3-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I think for financial comfort and security. A paid off house and decent paid for vehicle would satisfy me.
Never having to worry about gas money, grocery money, or how I'm going to pay daily living expenses would be perfect to me.

New furniture and a vacation etc, would just be a bonus.

I think that 5 bucks to some people is worth the chance to achieve all this, no matter how far fetched it is.

But, the "curse of the lottery" seems to follow some www.mybanktracker.com...

edit on 30-3-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I too made a lottery list. First thing would be to find a trustworthy accountant. I wouldn't begin to know how to handle that much money (in terms of banks, etc).

After I set my parents for life, I would open a huge trust fund for my son, and his brother. Then I would buy a home, a car or two, give my best friend $20 million.

The rest? I thought honestly about it. I would love to help people. I mean real, good people who are having hard times. I mean the family with 2 kids who are losing their house thru no fault of their own. Stuff like that. There's no possible way I could spend that much money. I figured it out and if I went with my "greedy" list, I would only spend maybe 50 million. MAYBE. So I'd rather a) make sure my family and friends are SET, and b) help people/animals in real need.

But.. unfortunately... life doesn't work this way. And I know deep down that either some incredibly rich person will win it because they bought $50,000 worth of tickets. That or some illegal immigrant will win. I never get lucky.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I admit it. I bought into this hook, line, and sinker. I am guilty.

Just for a few days it is nice to think about what I could do with all that money. It has been nice listening to the people around me dream, too. I even think I got to know some people and even shared a quiet part inside of me, too. Only one person IRL shared a totally selfish list. But it was completely harmless and he's young so I didn't expect too much from him anyway.

All in all it wasn't a bad deal for the amount of money I've spent on tickets. It was certainly much more entertaining than anything in the theaters or on T.V.
edit on 30-3-2012 by cry93 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
A always buy one ticket of most lotteries, as to provide the vehicle for the Unseen to interfere. I fear the task of winning but will do as I am lead. All are tools, regardless of what you believe or not, what you want or want not, have or have not. In the Surrender, this is the ultimate worship.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Today has been crazy. I had never even heard of Mega Millions before. Then, on the way to town, this mathematician is on NPR talking about the lottery. So that made me buy my first lottery ticket in years. It happened to be Mega Millions (I bought it because I'd never seen it and I thought it reminded me of Padre's story in the Dark Tower when he was in alternate New Yorks). So then, on my way home, a different program on the same station started talking about Mega Millions. Then I get home and check ATS and here you are, talking about it too.

Anyway, my 640 million dollars is mostly spoken for. About 40 would go to my town, ensuring that homelessness would no longer be a problem. About 10 would be distributed among my friends. The rest would go to something pretty damned awesome. I would definitely have a life ambition to fix things. Wells in Africa, violence prevention globally, and hopefully a foundation dedicated to getting people more aware of alternative energy, self sustaining farming, and a general awareness of Monsanto.

Oh, and I might just buy ATS just so I could be a mod.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Imagine time travelling back to Ancient Athens and telling them that, despite the world in 2012 being in financial crisis - the USA in particular - and poverty, famine, and unemployment being at record levels, we are about to present three people (I believe they share it) with $640 million, and that we are presenting them with that amount of money not through any great achievement, invention, or discovery, but because they selected a random ticket which by chance won the prize.

What would they think of us?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

That we like to gamble? Big deal it's the lotto.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
Imagine time travelling back to Ancient Athens and telling them that, despite the world in 2012 being in financial crisis - the USA in particular - and poverty, famine, and unemployment being at record levels, we are about to present three people (I believe they share it) with $640 million, and that we are presenting them with that amount of money not through any great achievement, invention, or discovery, but because they selected a random ticket which by chance won the prize.

What would they think of us?

Haha yup. It reminds me of the sliders ep where they go onto that world with a lottery/population control machine. The more money you took out of the ATM machine (which you got for free) The more chances you had to win "the lottery" The lottery was a method of population control but the catch was if you won the lottery you get to spend all the money you want...only in an entire day. Once people fulfilled their dreams, they had to kill themselves, but with a tasty poison.

It's actually one of the only ways I can think of to combat population control!

new topics

top topics

join