It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Readies Great Lakes for Off-shore Wind Development

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

The White House has announced that a Memorandum of Understanding
has been signed with several great Lakes States concerning off-shore wind projects.

But, there seems to be one problem ...

There are no projects yet !!

But there has been some very preliminary inquiries.
(one possibility is a plan to start something in 2014)

The article quotes some officials saying this project is in early stages and
they are working on streamlining the paperwork when interests begin.

They say there is potential for a lot of electricity generation.

No mention of Loans or Grants however.
(unless that is a given)

by Fox News | March 30, 2012

The Obama administration announced an agreement with Great Lakes states on off-shore wind projects, a development that is notable in that there currently isn't significant interest by companies to do so.

The administration has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the governors of Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, New York and Pennsylvania to streamline reviews of potential off-shore wind projects.

However, when asked how much faster permits could get approved, White House Council on Environmental Quality Chair Nancy Sutley said, "There currently aren't any projects seeking approval..."

It reveals the Obama administrations all-out efforts to publicize any and all things energy in an era of ever-increasing gas prices.

Sutley emphasized, however, "[T]he purpose of this MOU is to make sure that the federal and state agencies are working together so that we can evaluate projects as quickly as possible."

The discussion was largely initiated by the states, she said, as they had been approached by companies potentially interested in developing off-shore wind resources in the Great Lakes.

Deputy Energy Secretary Daniel Poneman noted there is one project that has been proposed for the Cleveland-area which could be deployed as early as 2014, so "this is not theoretical," he said. ....

Great Lakes Wind Power

If this time they keep the corruption out of the picture,
there may be hope ...

Private investment is the best way !!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

It reveals the Obama administrations all-out efforts to publicize any and all things energy in an era of ever-increasing gas prices.

Well,,

That will make gas prices drop

I am all for wind energy, but damn man there is not even anyone signed up for the gig

I got an idea, lets talk wind and solar enrgy when gas prices are $4.00+ a gallon. That will help

Sorry op, but the people in Dc are so out of touch with what this country needs and what is hurting us, it is unreal.

Will a billion dollar(just a guess at the price) wind farm help my electric bill go down, or will it raise it because someone has to pay for it?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
There's already a windmill in Cleveland by the great lakes science center.

But I don't really know enough about this topic to elaborate further.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Don't forget, sometimes you get what you pay for... You want cheap, it's Grade D beef and the raping of the Earth. I personally would pay more for something better.

It's not just about saying you care about the environment, or that renewable energy is the way to go. It's also being willing to put your money where your mouth is.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I'd rather see windmills that oil rigs out there. And yes, this could bring oil prices down eventually as there would be less demand.

Where I used to live in Indiana, there is a huge wind farm out in the middle of nowhere. It's actually kind of cool looking. Miles and miles of cornfields and a huge lot of wind mills to break up the monotony. You can see them from very far away.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by spiritualzombie

It's not just about saying you care about the environment, or that renewable energy is the way to go. It's also being willing to put your money where your mouth is.

Are you putting your money where your mouth is?

I can say that I am trying. I am doing more than most.

This is my little collection of panels. I would like to add to them but unfortunately I have to drive 100 miles one way to work every day at the moment. At $4.00 a gallon my broke azz can't afford to fork over $20-$30 on a solar panel, a small 4 or 5 watt one at that.

I do have big dreams to be totally energy independent. Unfortnately at my rate I will be 60 years old when I have enough power to run the refrigerator.

It isn't much but when the power goes out, I get the battery out of the car and run the radio and recharge the cell phones and the Kids's Nintendo DS's.

I feel that the fuel prices are a big deterrent from people spending money on such items. Simply because we do not have the $, $ that is going in the fuel tank to pay the bills. The bills that are overinflated because of fuel prices(so thats one excuse they use).

I also do care about the environment. I clean up any of the parks, rivers, streams, campgrounds, lakes, or forests that I frequent, I leave them cleaner than when I get there. I also teach my kids to respect mother nature so hopefully their children can enjoy it as I do.

I do more than most.

edit on 30-3-2012 by liejunkie01 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

I think your personal efforts are awesome and my hats off to you. I've looked into that sort of thing or turning a car into electric or hybrid, but really... That's just one person and it might make a person feel good but its expensive and does so little on the grand scale...

I personally pay toward a tax for a large scale project that could create some real change. I just see it as a better investment with more impact potential.

But I truly respect your efforts.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by spiritualzombie

I personally pay toward a tax for a large scale project that could create some real change. I just see it as a better investment with more impact potential.

I agree.

I do not have a problem with new energy sources or power plants. The problem is that there isn't even anybody/company that has shown interest in the op's deal, or thats how I interpreted the article.

It just seems like smoke and mirrors to try to push a failed energy plan. I feel like we need solutions to help out the people today also, not in ten or fifteen years. Of course that is my opinion.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

There is a new one at the county fairgrounds in Berea also. Wooo Hooo! Too think, I once thought Cell Towers were an eyesore. Wow!

I certainly don't want these damn things looming on the horizon of Lake Erie. Its bad all around. Even worse is gaining access to these things in the middle of the water for the necessary ongoing maintenance. Costly and labor intensive plus Erie, being so shallow, gets real rough real quick.

This idea too shall fail!!
edit on 31-3-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

A huge land based wind farm in the middle of nowhere is very different from huge wind farms in the middle of our Great Lakes. I sail Lake Erie every Season and that's the last thing I want to see or deal with on the open water. The Great Lakes are a Cherished Natural Resource (and largest source of FRESH WATER) and we should not muck up the already fragile waters with flippin' wind farms.

Ever try to moor up a boat to a fixed pier in rough water? That's what they will have to do in order to gain access to these towers for maintenance.

Wind farms are not suitable for every region in the country. This is just a ploy to bring them closer to the Urban Areas built along the lakes because of a lack of suitable land (already developed).

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Originally posted by RealSpoke

There is a new one at the county fairgrounds in Berea also. Wooo Hooo! Too think, I once thought Cell Towers were an eyesore. Wow!

I certainly don't want these damn things looming on the horizon of Lake Erie. Its bad all around. Even worse is gaining access to these things in the middle of the water for the necessary ongoing maintenance. Costly and labor intensive plus Erie, being so shallow, gets real rough real quick.

This idea too shall fail!!
edit on 31-3-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

Not to mention storms on the Lakes either !!

I wonder what one big squall would do to the bearings inside a turbine

I hope the things have waterproof circuit breakers !!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

There are no companies willing to do it because the only companies that will are those that receive the vast majority of initial construction funds from the Government.

Because we investors know that wind power is the least effective, most expensive, and shortest lived source of energy. One only need to go to the massive wind farm graveyards in California to see this, or the states with idle wind farms off their turn pikes. Just more "green energy" idiocy. And I have to say, being born in Ohio and spending many vacations at the lakes.. wind farms would be absolutely repulsive.

new topics

top topics

join